Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

magicalmatthew
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2015, 8:30 pm

I really like someone in my (university) class, so much that it physically hurts, haha. And the thing is, I think he is interested in me, based off of our interactions. But I suck at interpreting people and fear that its all in my head and I'm just imagining that he likes me. But he stares at me a lot, and smiles at me, and talks to me a lot, and jokes around. And I want to hang out with him but IDK how to initiate something. Should I just go for it? How??? I'm scared of being too interested and scaring him away. I just don't know how to act normal but also find out if he's interested in me/tell him I'm interested in him. I have no idea what to do and no friends who I can talk to about this sort of thing. Any advice would be appreciated!!

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 8:54 pm

Normally, people will toss out a casual sounding invitation to go somewhere together. It should be an activity which you believe he would enjoy, but throw the invitation out in a casual way like it doesn't really matter to you if he wants to go or not. That way if he accepts it, great, and if he doesn't at least you don't lose face.

magicalmatthew
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2015, 8:57 pm

That is a good idea. Would it be weird to invite him via email though?
I was thinking about an event but will not see him in person before then.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 9:28 pm

Email and text invitations are common these days.

Diningroom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2015, 10:20 pm

magicalmatthew wrote:
That is a good idea. Would it be weird to invite him via email though?
I was thinking about an event but will not see him in person before then.

Sure. You've got nada to lose!

lyzpg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2015, 10:26 pm

Perhaps phrase it something like: "Hey! I'm going to X thing on X date, wanna tag along?" It's worked for me :wink:

tagnacious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2015, 10:35 pm

magicalmatthew wrote:
I really like someone in my (university) class, so much that it physically hurts, haha. And the thing is, I think he is interested in me, based off of our interactions. But I suck at interpreting people and fear that its all in my head and I'm just imagining that he likes me. But he stares at me a lot, and smiles at me, and talks to me a lot, and jokes around. And I want to hang out with him but IDK how to initiate something. Should I just go for it? How??? I'm scared of being too interested and scaring him away. I just don't know how to act normal but also find out if he's interested in me/tell him I'm interested in him. I have no idea what to do and no friends who I can talk to about this sort of thing. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Would it be weird to just be open and honest? As in "I've enjoyed being in class with you and I thought you might feel the same. No pressure, but if you would like to go out some time, I think it might be fun." (Where do you live? In the east coast of the US, "go out" is a casual way of saying "Date.")

That method wouldn't work with everyone, but it might set a really nice president if you end up having a relationship. You want to stop all the half-honest subtle hint stuff, anyways, right? The best relationship I ever had started like this. I was feeling really good and I just told her that I enjoyed her company and did she want to go on a date with me?" I was clear with the date thing. That made it a lot better. No nerves and looking for signals. Alas, it did not work out. She moved to France.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 9:23 am

He sounds pretty confident, so its odd that he doesn't ask you out first. Might want to spend some more time with him casually, to get to know him and see if he is seriously interested. You can invite him to a party/event or just coffee/lunch on campus just as classmates sort of. Email might be a bit too forward.