Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 11:15 pm

Show of hands please: who has problems with stuttering???

I stutter. Especially when I get anxious. And I also mix up words (though this is not part of the dx "Stuttering" in the DSM). I for one am very eloquent on paper. But when similar words try to come out of my mouth, my brain has a cursed way of fouling them up. Sigh. I hate it.

With my last therapist (who I saw for a total of only 12 times because he caused such anxiety in my person), my stuttering became so bad that I was getting out maybe one word for every three (very long and drawn out) seconds. It felt as though I was trying to PUSH a block of cement out of my mouth and unfortunately it didn't fit. I have rarely experienced such degrading frustration in my life.

I have since had nightmares about this former therapist.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2005, 11:29 pm

Often when I am trying to explain something or talk to somebody I will stutter and have problems where I have to stop and think about what to say during a conversation.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 11:46 pm

I have terrible problems with stuttering when i'm nervous about what people think, or on intense eye contact from certain people.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 12:06 am

Yes, I did stutter when I was much younger.
13year old and now as a adult I will occasionally
when I feel threatened.

Hmmm?
Ghosthunter

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 3:59 am

I dont stutter directly, but do trip over words, both when typing and talking

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 6:24 am

I stutter when I think I'm talking to somebody who doesn't accept my differences. It gets even worse when those people rush me to finish what I'm saying. If anyone doesn't understand what I say, I'll just say, " Nervermind." That saves me the embarrassment of a possible stuttering episiode.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 6:37 am

I stutter occasionally, but not that often.

My brain feels like it's a computer when the harddrive starts clicking, and the programs won't start up.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 7:06 am

Not myself but my 'hubby' does and he's an NT.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 12:20 pm

My brother and I both stutter when nervous. When typing or writing, I'll sometimes switch around letter.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2005, 1:06 pm

I was perfectly fine when i ws younger.

Now im in early 20s, it gets bad when i talk to people i dont know.

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2005, 1:30 pm

i've always had a stuttering problem..i think i mouth goes faster than my brain

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 2:58 pm

Yep - I stutter like a good 'un pretty much all of the time (thankfully not too severely, but still enough to bug the heck out of me. :x)

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 6:29 pm

I've only noticed myself stuttering a few times, mostly in my teen years, and only when very stressed or excited. I've always had a bit of a stammer, and even today I can have a really hard time turning thoughts into words and getting them out in sequence if I'm talking to someone I'm not comfortable around. Unfortunately this is a divergent feedback problem -- the more I stammer the less comfortable I feel, and therefore the more I stammer.... Aside from unplanned pauses in mid sentence, I also sometimes say things that are only tangentially related in meaning to what I intended. For example, when a coworker told me he visited Chernobyl on his vacation I wanted to make a joke by asking "are your genes glowing?", but instead it came out as "did your jeans catch fire?" It was a bit embarassing, but amazingly enough he understood the question as I intended it. I don't talk about autism at work, but sometimes when things like this happen I wonder how many people have already figured out I have AS and just don't want to bring it up....

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 7:17 pm

I don't stutter, but if I have to talk to someone I've never seen before, especially if it's over the phone, I have to really concentrate or else I'll get ahead of myself and start stumbling over words.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 8:21 pm

Ah, yes. Thoughts into words. That is often so hard, especially the more ill-at-ease I am.

Give me some paper, or give me death! I say.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 11:53 pm

Yeah, I have that but then again its off odd angles; certain things I just get tongue-tied on for no reason, if I'm overloaded I might mash my words like an 8 year-old if I'm not careful, and then there's the problem of literally not being able to get my voice out at all from time to time (then again by that point I'm floating arround like a ghost with my eyes all bugged out like a japanimae character). Usually its pretty safe to say I'm running on empty at that point, then again I will have days where I'll just get out of bed and know that 90% of my effort will need to be put into not looking, talking, and acting like some kind of 30's disney character.

Lately I've gotten better and better at coping with that though, the days I wake up feeling way off, I at least can pop a Rockstar or No Fear and with a little bit of psyching myself can get arround it. The other times when I'm completely spent though, the best I can do is just stay on the down low, try to schedule some alone time, and really let myself decompress for a while (at that point if it's really bad I might end up buying some beef jerky on my way home, maybe a Big Montana at Arby's, whatever I can do to add boatloads of protein to my system - that also helps bail me).