Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Should a autism authority be established?
Yes 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Kinda 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2015, 7:43 am

Ok, I'm fed up, and I know a lot of you are too, with NT's taking action "for autistic's." Why should NT's, who don't know what is going on in out heads, be in charge of how autism is represented? Shouldn't the autistic community be in charge of debates such as vaccines? I mean while yes having autism does make life hard, if a majority of autistic's support being vaccinated shouldn't that be the end of it? And is aspies want Asperger's syndrome put back in the DSM-5, shouldn't it? Why are blog mom's and celebrities in charge of how autism is perceived? I say that an online body such as wrongplanet be given authority over these matters. Of course a forum board wouldn't be an ideal governing body, I think that the autistic community needs to tell the NT's who's in charge of our lives. I'm not saying that autistic's are better than NT's but I AM saying that the people who should get the final say in matters regarding autism should be autistic's.

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 8:12 am

I believe what you mean to support is an advocacy group along the lines of the autism-rights movement ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_rights_movement ) that got started in the late 1980s to "communicate the anti-cure or autism rights perspective[.]" More recently, the Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN) ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic_ ... cy_Network ) was created in 2006 to achieve "the goal of autism advocacy should be a world in which Autistic people enjoy the same access, rights, and opportunities as all other people, and that Autistic voices should be included in the national conversation about autism." ASAN has had its successes and helps improve state and federal legislation and regulations, among other things including speaking out against Autism Speaks. Joining ASAN is free to people with ASD, but it relies on contributions to continue its work.

I support ASAN and would enthusiastically support a more strident non-partisan advocacy group.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2015, 8:32 am

AspieUtah wrote:
I support ASAN and would enthusiastically support a more strident non-partisan advocacy group.

Do you mean less strident? Because I think that being harsh about going about representing autism should be avoided whenever possible.

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 9:01 am

blast335 wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Do you mean less strident? Because I think that being harsh about going about representing autism should be avoided whenever possible.

Not more or less, but different. I meant that there are some things that ASAN can't do without jeopardizing its influence with legislation. Challenging corporate policies about ASD, for example, could be beneficial. Remember DRAC, ADAPT, ACT-UP, Queer Nation and Anonymous (not to mention the anti-GMO groups like Food Babe). Their ability to bring corporations which were/are hostile to the groups' agendas to the negotiating table are legend. They succeeded where legislation fell short.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 9:21 am

Since the world's population is made up of people with and without autism, perhaps the most effective Council would be one on which both groups were represented. That way it should be possible to achieve a consensus. But I think that Aspiens should always have the casting vote. A lot of - but not all - autism organisations are run by people on the spectrum and NTs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 12:01 pm

For adults it would be be helpful but I do not see the consensus that parental decisions involving their children are sacrosanct(unless their is an extraordinary circumstance) changing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 3:22 pm

Just one council to speak for all of us? No. A council to help us speak for ourselves? Yes. Just be careful, as with anything in life, that Autism Speaks people don't infiltrate it.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 6:46 pm

What do you mean by "authority?" It is a word I've grown to dislike. "The exaltation of the creative will instills an indiscriminate contempt for authority."

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 8:17 pm

Kinda. "Council" sounds great. "Authority" not so much. The following quote seems apropos.

Mikhail Bakunin wrote:
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Far from me such a thought. In the matter of boots, I refer to the authority of the bootmaker; concerning houses, canals, or railroads, I consult that of the architect or engineer. For such or such special knowledge I apply to such or such a savant. But I allow neither the bootmaker nor the architect nor the savant to impose his authority upon me. I listen to them freely and with all the respect merited by their intelligence, their character, their knowledge, reserving always my incontestable right of criticism and censure. I do not content myself with consulting authority in any special branch; I consult several; I compare their opinions, and choose that which seems to me the soundest. But I recognize no infallible authority, even in special questions; consequently, whatever respect I may have for the honesty and the sincerity of such or such an individual, I have no absolute faith in any person. Such a faith would be fatal to my reason, to my liberty, and even to the success of my undertakings; it would immediately transform me into a stupid slave, an instrument of the will and interests of others.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2015, 12:28 pm

Here's what I had in mind as to what this council would have power to do:
•Reject "treatments" that are proposed

•Reject "causes" that have been identified (i.e. say that vaccines and gluten don't cause autism and that would be the end of it)

•Approve support organization that the majority of the council believes has the right idea and can help make a beneficial difference in the lives of autistics

•Advise legislation on laws regarding autism (and maybe other neurological disorders later on)

•Raise funds and donate them to help families with autistic members who need the support

And those are just some of the possibilites

-Blast335 (me)