How can some NTs claim we're the cold dead ones and then...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 3:36 pm

...be so cold and dead themselves?

"You don't understand," someone claiming to be a parent of someone at the Judge Rotenberg Center told me. "Some people are just broken." Meaning, if you treat them (the people he/she/it/they called "broken") like people you may still not get the results you want from them, and that that's all that matters.

How could someone as eerily cold and unfeeling as Matthew Israel be allowed to be in charge of a place that's supposed to help the disabled (not hurt them!! !)? And the only reason he's still not in charge of the place officially is because of some clerical crime he committed after which he was forced to retire or go to jail!

People who call others objects (like some mothers actually called their autistic kids) are cold, dead people themselves. But I won't call them objects, because they're not. They are just deprived of something they should have. So I'm not a hypocrite.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 5:48 pm

How? 1)Projection 2)Othering 3)Oppression 4)Narcissism

Add 5 and so on here....

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 12:02 am

It may be politically incorrect to say these days but 5)The people who set up and run The Judge Rotenberg Torture Center are evil

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 5:48 pm

They think there is nothing beyond their perception. They don't allow for the possibility of other meaningful ways of experiencing life.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2015, 12:16 am

Well Gracie, the first is because there are people that quite frequently and incorrectly fill in the blanks with rubbish, so someone not making eye contact can be misconstrued as cold by these people.

It's especially common that non-verbals are also considered to have an ID, for example.

Then, I think it's because they've done mental gymnastics to rationalise it away as either factual or something good.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 1:18 am

B19 wrote:
How? 1)Projection 2)Othering 3)Oppression 4)Narcissism

Add 5 and so on here....

Also add to that people that would take a NT child, and objectify him or her by calling him or her "it."

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:19 am

A lot of people in power are like that. All they want is to control other people. I often wonder to myself why did this or that person seek to be in power in the first place. The answer is usually unpleasant personality traits, such as narcissism or inadequacy.

It's easy for a lot of people to dehumanize people who aren't like them. I've had to read a lot of social literature from Jim Crow America and before. It's eerie how much it's like ableist, autism eugenics literature. The same can be said of literature about women from back then.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 1:54 pm

@SocOfAutism: And it's often women who are doing this to autistics! If they read some history maybe they wouldn't. This just drives home the importance of teaching (relevant, correct) history in schools.