Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 8:47 pm

New chairman Bob Kelly is the father of an autistic son and real estate magnet. Both Wright's remain on the board as co-founders.
https://www.autismspeaks.org/news/news-item/autism-speaks-co-founder-bob-wright-step-down-chairman

This shocking development comes just a few days after the organization rightly criticized to not listening to autistics especially adult autistics created a portal to connect job seekers with employers.

What to make of it?
1. A deflection , a PR stunt. The Wrights will still call the shots and the behind the scenes agenda has not changed
2. The nuerodiverse movement was more effective then they gave themselves credit for. The boycott was successful in getting Panera Bread and Build a Bear to divest themselves from Autism and taking over some of their internet campaigns .
3. There finances are about to get exposed publicly in a big way.

I don't know, but can only hope. Time will tell. Even if its scenario 1 at the least we caused them discomfort. Don't trust, verify, and keep up the pressure.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 8:59 pm

That is great news. Your three suppositions are very likely true. When I researched Autism Speaks financial records, I was staggered at its dynamic cash-flow issues. Of course, this doesn't matter when most of its contributions come from one source, but it does frighten away foundations.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 3:42 am

I don't care what they do. Autism Speaks is a hate group, and it should die.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2015, 7:13 pm

Yeah, I'm not going to be keeping my hopes up, I don't see how they can magically turn around from being a hate group. Even if it did somehow become the glistening beacon of neurodiversity and ethics, I would always be skeptical, especially after all the damage they've done.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 7:54 pm

Moromillas wrote:
Yeah, I'm not going to be keeping my hopes up, I don't see how they can magically turn around from being a hate group. Even if it did somehow become the glistening beacon of neurodiversity and ethics, I would always be skeptical, especially after all the damage they've done.

I am not even thinking in terms of them becoming a glistening beacon of neurodiversity, just hoping they stay out of our way, and do no more damage, because the damage they have already done is going to take a generation to undo, and there might be permanent damage. If they radically reform I can envision a schism in which some will try and start a new cult to continue the old ideas.

Brain Kelly - New Chairman wrote:
Autism Speaks will continue to drive a leadership agenda around the issues that matter most to parents. We will partner with community organizations, businesses, educators, and researchers across the country to foster innovation that will improve the lives and futures of people across the autism spectrum.

Interesting what is said and not said. Forget about glistening beacon of neurodiversity they are still going to be a organization for parents of autistics. What is not mentioned is "cure", but "future" of autistics which can't be if autism is cured. There is at least acknowledgement of a spectrum. That is all interesting but what counts is what they do and don't do so "follow the money"

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 9:20 pm

…I'm confused.

1. What is shocking about that? The guy's 72… he can't run it forever. That's what I'd do too- this way he can supervise the new chairman and make sure he knows how to properly run Autism Speaks before he is too old.
2. Why do you think this is good? The new guy is a parent of an autistic child, supports Autism Speaks a lot (evidently), and donated millions of dollars towards researching PRT, a type of ABA. I wouldn't have guessed you'd like him much.

Autism Speaks has changed a lot since they were first started, I agree, and will continue to change most likely. But I don't think there's anything shocking about that at all. If they didn't change, that would be shockingly stupid. And they wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are now either. I wouldn't make anything of it myself.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2015, 9:32 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
…I'm confused.

1. What is shocking about that? The guy's 72… he can't run it forever. That's what I'd do too- this way he can supervise the new chairman and make sure he knows how to properly run Autism Speaks before he is too old.
2. Why do you think this is good? The new guy is a parent of an autistic child, supports Autism Speaks a lot (evidently), and donated millions of dollars towards researching PRT, a type of ABA. I wouldn't have guessed you'd like him much.

Autism Speaks has changed a lot since they were first started, I agree, and will continue to change most likely. But I don't think there's anything shocking about that at all. If they didn't change, that would be shockingly stupid. And they wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are now either. I wouldn't make anything of it myself.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about that either. There are also many parents out there that actually support the mad quest for eugenic elimination, even one of my folks to this day doesn't "get it". So this Bob fellow may just be another person that thinks we're a disease.

LillyDale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2015, 10:18 pm

I knew there was some controversy with this group (Autism Speaks) but have not dug into it. Is there a good explanation somewhere about what this group has been doing?

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2015, 10:20 pm

LillyDale wrote:
Is there a good explanation somewhere about what this group has been doing?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Autism_Speaks

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 10:53 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
…I'm confused.

I do not know how companies run in Holland but there are indications this "resignation" was not voluntary. It was announced on a Friday. It is a known fact that businesses save announcements of bad news for fridays. Also the announcement came on May 1 the day after Autism Awareness month ended, when the media and the Autism Community had stopped focusing on them. Also when a long time CEO resigns or is pushed out there is usually a reason given "health" or the ever popular "I want to spend more time with my family" or some other made up reason. There was no reason given in this case. I will not preclude that you are correct as I did list this possibility as explanation 1 but I have serious doubts.

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2015, 4:48 am

Yeah I'm with Welcometoholland on this. Its not really news or shocking. The guy's 72 and has stepped down from the top to allow someone younger with more energy to carry on. Maybe he has health problems? Or is feeling his age or whatever it does not seem to me to indicate anything more sinister.

Timing this announcement after Autism Awareness month again is perfectly rational. Any change in leadership affects things and would have distracted from the biggest month in terms of fund raising that they have so it makes totals sense time this as it has been.

As for the future? Who knows, it depends on what this new guy is like and what his views are. But I doubt Autism Speaks will change much quickly. Which is a shame obviously because they are still the go to charity for most parents and so their false message continues to be spread.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 4:46 pm

I see no reason to believe this is about a change in philosophy for them or a PR move. Sure, some resignations are done for PR reasons, but I see no reason to believe this is one of them.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 7:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
WelcomeToHolland wrote:
…I'm confused.

I do not know how companies run in Holland but there are indications this "resignation" was not voluntary. It was announced on a Friday. It is a known fact that businesses save announcements of bad news for fridays. Also the announcement came on May 1 the day after Autism Awareness month ended, when the media and the Autism Community had stopped focusing on them. Also when a long time CEO resigns or is pushed out there is usually a reason given "health" or the ever popular "I want to spend more time with my family" or some other made up reason. There was no reason given in this case. I will not preclude that you are correct as I did list this possibility as explanation 1 but I have serious doubts.

I'm not from holland - "Welcome to Holland" is the title of a poem (I've considered stating so in my signature if I could still change it, as a few people have guessed that and it kind of feels deceitful although my intent wasn't to trick people into thinking I was Dutch...lol). Also not from N America but there are only seven days of the week, he had to pick one of them, and frankly Friday makes sense because Friday is the last day of the working week. Also of course they waited until the end of autism month, they didn't want to distract from the focus of that month. Still doesn't seem "shady" to me. What evidence was there that he was forced out? (I don't follow autism speaks news).

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 7:29 pm

I would be surprised if the mindset changed at all, and also surprised if the Wrights weren't still going to be the puppet masters in any event. They have personified Autism Speaks as an extension of their own narcissistic selves and narcissists are not known for any change of attitude nor to do things that aren't in some way to their own advantage. They are always self-serving, and they are always planning their next move (ie new ways to do damage to their targets and new ways to discredit their targets).

So I won't be cracking open the champagne just yet. IF there are financial scandals that are about to go public, you can be sure that the Wrights will manipulate matters so that the axe falls on some scapegoat or stool pigeon that they have set up or will do.

Though exposure of the finances in itself would be a good thing, and maybe will open the champagne when that goes headlines..

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 12:18 am

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
I'm not from holland - "Welcome to Holland" is the title of a poem (I've considered stating so in my signature if I could still change it, as a few people have guessed that and it kind of feels deceitful although my intent wasn't to trick people into thinking I was Dutch...lol).

I guess I am just too literal :D

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
Also not from N America but there are only seven days of the week, he had to pick one of them, and frankly Friday makes sense because Friday is the last day of the working week. Also of course they waited until the end of autism month, they didn't want to distract from the focus of that month. Still doesn't seem "shady" to me. What evidence was there that he was forced out? (I don't follow autism speaks news).

A number of factors combined make me wounder if he was forced out. Usually the departing founder or CEO discusses a reason for the decision, when he or she stated thinking about this decision etc. Look at the recent history you have the most inflammatory ads in the 2000's. They seemed at least on the outside to be responding to the protests. The rhetoric eased. They hired John Elder Robinson one of the most well known advocates as a consultant. Then in November 2013 you have Suzanne Wright with her Call to action. In reaction Robinson resigns, they even receive some mainstream criticism and a boycott of companies working with them is organized and two companies Panera Bread and Build A Bear divest. A couple of their internet campaigns were taken over by neurodiverse advocates etc. There is a huge disconnect with Autism Speaks message of your child being a burden and societal trends. The last two years have been extraordinary in acceptance of difference most notably with LBGT (gay marriage, Transgender recognition). These are the days where going philosophy is every kid is a winner. Except for Autism it seems or is it?. While you have the "warrior moms" there are parents like you who desire to listen to autistic people or do not want their kids described as horrific burdens. It seems illogical that these trends are affecting everybody but Autism Speaks sponsors. John Elder Robinson said it is the Wrights that are the problem, not the the average person, I have heard this from others also. So yes I think it is plausible that like you said the board agreed with you that not changing or appearing to change is stupid as decided the Wright's are the problem.

This series of posts and the universal agreement that my opinion is wrong is weird for me. While I am used to most disagreeing with me being seen as too optimistic is weird for me as for most of my 57 years I am always being told I am too cynical and pessimistic.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 12:42 pm

The Friday part is suspocious. Friday is the day for announcing things you don't want widespread but also don't want to look like your sweeping it under the rug. Was it evening on Friday?