Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 3:36 pm

Here is their website.

I'm thinking of starting a self-advocacy group here in the SW Virginia area. If I get enough people interested we could apply to be an ASAN chapter. We don't currently have one in Virginia. I interested in becoming a chapter of some sort because I would like to be backed by an established organization that is clearly not an Autism Speaks kind of thing.

Questions:
1) What do you think of ASAN?
2) Is there anyone viewing this post who would be interested in a VA self-advocacy group?
3) I'm NT but I would find an autistic person to co-lead such an organization and share responsibilities. If you were interested in a group like this, would the presence of a NT in a leadership role deter you?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 3:40 pm

I like ASAN.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2015, 3:57 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Here is their website.

Questions:
1) What do you think of ASAN?
2) Is there anyone viewing this post who would be interested in a VA self-advocacy group?
3) I'm NT but I would find an autistic person to co-lead such an organization and share responsibilities. If you were interested in a group like this, would the presence of a NT in a leadership role deter you?

I like ASAN. I live in England, so no. Yes it would deter me significantly from an ASAN group with NT leadership. general autism support that doesn't claim to be SELF-advocacy, sure. I'm not against NTs supporting, but in leadership in a self-advocay network that makes me super uncomfortable.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 4:53 pm

I'm a member of ASAN. As far as having an NT in a leadership role of a local autism advocacy group, I don't really have a problem, as long as autistic people are in the majority of the decision-making body. That said, it would by definition not be a self-advocacy group and I'm not sure you could become an ASAN chapter. Your support for autism rights is appreciated, however.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 5:38 pm

Yeah I honestly don't want to lead the group. I agree it's a little inappropriate since I'm not autistic.

What if it was more of a discussion group, with no actual leader and no official ties to ASAN?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 6:09 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Yeah I honestly don't want to lead the group. I agree it's a little inappropriate since I'm not autistic.

What if it was more of a discussion group, with no actual leader and no official ties to ASAN?

ASAN uses the slogan "nothing about us without us," but I have never taken the slogan strictly. To me, the slogan is more of a goal. It would be an irresponsible group to allow only people with ASD to serve the group in leadership positions. If a leader, with or without ASD, were running roughshod over the group, the supporters would vote with their dollars and attendance.

I say we need leaders who are ASD-friendly. In the 1970s, the LGBT movement was joined by PFLAG Parents, Families and Friend of Gays and Lesbians. It added something that hadn't been a part of the LGBT movement before: non-LGBT advocates, or "allies" as they are called today. Talk about Mama Grizzlies! People with ASD certainly need our own allies. And, we need to lead the autism-rights movement, but I can't imagine excluding our families and friends. They are in this with us.

If you have something to contribute to the movement, do it, and don't wonder if you do it right.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 9:05 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:

ASAN uses the slogan "nothing about us without us," but I have never taken the slogan strictly. To me, the slogan is more of a goal. It would be an irresponsible group to allow only people with ASD to serve the group in leadership positions. If a leader, with or without ASD, were running roughshod over the group, the supporters would vote with their dollars and attendance.

I say we need leaders who are ASD-friendly. In the 1970s, the LGBT movement was joined by PFLAG Parents, Families and Friend of Gays and Lesbians. It added something that hadn't been a part of the LGBT movement before: non-LGBT advocates, or "allies" as they are called today. Talk about Mama Grizzlies! People with ASD certainly need our own allies. And, we need to lead the autism-rights movement, but I can't imagine excluding our families and friends. They are in this with us.

If you have something to contribute to the movement, do it, and don't wonder if you do it right.

This made my night. Thank you.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 10:23 pm

I think that you should start a group independent of ASAN.
I would have no problem with the group leader being neurotypical or autistic.
Sometimes, a BAP type person is best to lead a group.