Page 13 of 19 [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 9:55 pm

That life exists in all its complexity is a cold, hard objective fact that can be known with certainty by observation and experiment. Just what it is is beyond empirical science because it is a metaphysical thing... and it is certainly not just an agglomeration of atoms and chemicals, as can be seen where a dead thing may contain exactly the same chemicals and atoms as the previously live thing. You cannot make a dead thing live by just shifting it around (movement).

Why people get depressed is not a matter for empirical science, as you infer, and it is not something that can be "fixed" by physical displacement (movement).

I'm jolly glad that the people who make aeroplanes have a much more objective approach to physical reality than you do, 'Ghogsy.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 10:19 pm

Oldavid wrote:
That life exists in all its complexity is a cold, hard objective fact that can be known with certainty by observation and experiment. Just what it is is beyond empirical science because it is a metaphysical thing... and it is certainly not just an agglomeration of atoms and chemicals, as can be seen where a dead thing may contain exactly the same chemicals and atoms as the previously live thing. You cannot make a dead thing live by just shifting it around (movement).

Why people get depressed is not a matter for empirical science, as you infer, and it is not something that can be "fixed" by physical displacement (movement).

I'm jolly glad that the people who make aeroplanes have a much more objective approach to physical reality than you do, 'Ghogsy.

It's a well known fact my friend; that folks who sit on their butts all the time are more likely to get depressed; if for no other reason than they cannot burn the stress chemicals off that accumulate in their bodies. Exercise is what makes that happen. And it is also a well known FACT that stress is associated with depression. That's just common sense but;

I suggest you get a health science degree like me; before you down another road you are clueless on, my friend..;)

If evolution is NOT the ABSOLUTE TRUTH; you wouldn't develop as an embryo with a tail my friend and precursors to gills; like your chimp-like ancestors and fish; and the rest of the common mammal ancestors with tails; like the rodent YOU use to be around 75 million years ago; more or less in still common DNA.

And before that star dust; according to Carl Sagan; and even more common sense.

ALL starts and ends at one point; and one point still exists in all that is, as is; and that's common sense for above so below STUFF; inside and outside you and all around GOD stuff too..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 5:42 am

ate another post

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 4:15 pm

Inventor wrote:
ate another post
Yair, it does that. I found that if you wait for as long as it takes (long time) to be automatically returned to the thread with your post in it you can take the long way round and avoid the black hole that eats submissions. If the process "times out" you can still hit the "back button" and get back to your "post a reply" and either try again or save it to the Notebook to try again later.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 4:44 pm

aghogday wrote:
If evolution is NOT the ABSOLUTE TRUTH; you wouldn't develop as an embryo with a tail my friend and precursors to gills; like your chimp-like ancestors and fish; and the rest of the common mammal ancestors with tails; like the rodent YOU use to be around 75 million years ago; more or less in still common DNA.
That's a thoroughly debunked supposition. That embryos elongate before all the parts differentiate just happens to be the most efficient way for them to grow. It's just a good plan that works equally well for lots of different species.

If you want to argue science you'll need to do more homework.

"Evolution" is demonstrably "NOT the ABSOLUTE TRUTH". It is a religious/ideological fancy that has no basis in science.

Quote:
I suggest you get a health science degree like me; before you down another road you are clueless on, my friend..;)
As a matter of fact I'm not clueless about contemporary fads... I just happen to know things they don't want you to know and I've not abandoned "common sense" to get a ticket that says that I can only think what I'm told to think.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 4:53 pm

This might be a good time to reintroduce a commentary by this chap. There are some more interesting links at the bottom of the article cited.

http://archive.lewrockwell.com/reed/reed59.html

Reed's lack of reasonable conclusions does not much detract from his incisive criticism of the fad.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 5:16 pm

Oldavid wrote:
aghogday wrote:
That's a thoroughly debunked supposition. That embryos elongate before all the parts differentiate just happens to be the most efficient way for them to grow. It's just a good plan that works equally well for lots of different species.

If you want to argue science you'll need to do more homework.

"Evolution" is demonstrably "NOT the ABSOLUTE TRUTH". It is a religious/ideological fancy that has no basis in science.

Quote:
As a matter of fact I'm not clueless about contemporary fads... I just happen to know things they don't want you to know and I've not abandoned "common sense" to get a ticket that says that I can only think what I'm told to think.

"The most efficient way to grow"

That is precisely what evolution is, my friend.

You provide 'the proof' for me, I ask of you.

Thanks..;)

No, of course science does NOT actually prove
'much' in technical detail, per truth; IT is a path to larger
TRUTHS for those who can make the creative leaps of mind,
through a WHOLE mind of both detail and big picture thinking,
in mind and body
balance;
free of stress;
focused, and
A mean, lean,
functioning
human
FULLY ALIVE!

And not just
a sitting still
robot
machine
dead
alive.

Anyway, enjoy the ranch;
you are more fortunate
than most here to
still be
connected
to the GOD
of Nature
when you
leave here..;)

androm01374
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2015, 6:12 pm

I think there is a definitive mathematical formula that governs all matter, energy, time, etc. but it is so immensely complex that we not only aren't close, but we have no reason to believe we will ever understand it in its entirety ("we" meaning sentient humans as we currently define them).

Life, however, I think we have a better chance at understanding. Evolution is currently a working theoretical "why", but it is incomplete in its current state because there are too many unexplained variables. Really, though, I think the primary motivator of all life is immortality, genetic or "personal". We are all compelled to move and grow and work, and there is no explanation for that if we are not innately motivated by our desire for immortality. Because of our genetic differences, we interact with one another differently, which means we subtly alter each other's paths allll the time because our best chance at survival is to assess our circumstances and adapt. Even culture and society are governed by evolution, but the illusions of will and meaning often prevent us from accepting that. We developed emotions and higher cognitive abilities because those things help us communicate and gain social status, which provides a greater level of fitness!

Studying disorders, sexuality, and hobbies offers us the best option at understanding the potential of life, I think. If we scrutinize the areas in which we as a species are most variable, we may happen upon striking genetic commonalities. We shouldn't accept modern evolutionary theory as infallible, because as life becomes more and more complex, nuance that may prove pivotal in our understanding of it might arise. I don't like the common belief that! humans have effectively undermined evolution... humans are changing very very gradually but we are still changing! And if all of our traits came to belong to us because of evolution, that also means our goals and behavior and even technological developments are only happening because of the course evolution has taken, right?

If there is no predetermined meaning, there is fulfillment to be found in pursuing evolutionary progress or acting in defiance of it. But I have a feeling that our collective pursuit of understanding/meaning has some significance. Maybe we only understand evolution in the context of time right now because we've yet to evolve beyond it. Perhaps our true purpose is to ascend through the dimensions until we encompass all of them. Who knows? All we can do is pursue truth.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 3:05 am

androm01374 wrote:
I think there is a definitive mathematical formula that governs all matter, energy, time, etc. but it is so immensely complex that we not only aren't close, but we have no reason to believe we will ever understand it in its entirety ("we" meaning sentient humans as we currently define them).

Life, however, I think we have a better chance at understanding. Evolution is currently a working theoretical "why", but it is incomplete in its current state because there are too many unexplained variables. Really, though, I think the primary motivator of all life is immortality, genetic or "personal". We are all compelled to move and grow and work, and there is no explanation for that if we are not innately motivated by our desire for immortality. Because of our genetic differences, we interact with one another differently, which means we subtly alter each other's paths allll the time because our best chance at survival is to assess our circumstances and adapt. Even culture and society are governed by evolution, but the illusions of will and meaning often prevent us from accepting that. We developed emotions and higher cognitive abilities because those things help us communicate and gain social status, which provides a greater level of fitness!

Studying disorders, sexuality, and hobbies offers us the best option at understanding the potential of life, I think. If we scrutinize the areas in which we as a species are most variable, we may happen upon striking genetic commonalities. We shouldn't accept modern evolutionary theory as infallible, because as life becomes more and more complex, nuance that may prove pivotal in our understanding of it might arise. I don't like the common belief that! humans have effectively undermined evolution... humans are changing very very gradually but we are still changing! And if all of our traits came to belong to us because of evolution, that also means our goals and behavior and even technological developments are only happening because of the course evolution has taken, right?

If there is no predetermined meaning, there is fulfillment to be found in pursuing evolutionary progress or acting in defiance of it. But I have a feeling that our collective pursuit of understanding/meaning has some significance. Maybe we only understand evolution in the context of time right now because we've yet to evolve beyond it. Perhaps our true purpose is to ascend through the dimensions until we encompass all of them. Who knows? All we can do is pursue truth.
Welcome to the fray. I hope your skin is a thick as your head.

If you assume Materialism (the religion/ideology) then anything and any fantasies, no matter how absurd according to observable reality, become "possibilities" then "facts" simply because they conform to he ideology; exactly the reverse of a scientific method.

Mathematical formulas can be concocted to suit any desired outcome... but they can't change reality.

"Evolution" doesn't even come close to "unexplained variables" as it is philosophically, physically, chemically, biologically, mathematically impossible in its essence according to observable reality.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2015, 4:34 am

Oldavid wrote:

This has already been explained to you. Death always changes empirical, measurable things that are simply too complex to change back. There is no need to appeal to a supernatural life force.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 4:50 am

What is it? Life shows up once, as blue green algae about a billion years ago.

It lives in sea water, fees on sunlight and CO2.

It mutates into more complex forms that eat blue green algae.

Everything can be traced to that one event.

Chemical processes exist without life, make some of the same chemicals, but never a fragment of DNA.

Without that, no fragments of DNA forming whole DNA by accident. It never happened, it never happened a second time.

Life must be some coherent form of energy that can act on and organize matter.

Life as we know it is a coherent form of energy that leaves living things at the moment of death.

Neither the origin or destination of life is the material plane.

Life is as material as our thoughts.

Life is not random or driven by survival of the fittest.

The overall pattern since the beginning has been toward more complex forms.

The material universe moves toward disorder, life is moving the other way.

The amount of Bioenergy has been increasing, we are providing a larger host for a life energy that comes in an out of existence.

If we wanted to get with the program we could work to double the amount of life on this planet, which has been the long term plan.

We are but a small part of a massive being of energy involved in a fantastic artwork.

We could be more useful.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 6:02 am

The_Walrus wrote:
This has already been explained to you. Death always changes empirical, measurable things that are simply too complex to change back. There is no need to appeal to a supernatural life force.
Nothing has "already been explained" and I never appealed to a supernatural "life force".
Quote:
Death always changes empirical, measurable things that are simply too complex to change back.
So, what things and how did they get there in the first place?

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 6:15 am

Inventor wrote:
We are but a small part of a massive being of energy involved in a fantastic artwork.

We could be more useful.
I liked you better when the cyber-hole ate your submissions.

How do you know that "We are but a small part of a massive being of energy involved in a fantastic artwork"? To me the most fantastic artwork is the fantastic artworks of loonies completely detached from the constraints of reality.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 8:44 am

Oldavid wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Nothing has "already been explained" and I never appealed to a supernatural "life force".
Quote:
Death always changes empirical, measurable things that are simply too complex to change back.

For starters, gas composition of the body. To be alive and multicellular is to be in constant gas exchange (respiration) with the world, plants and animals both. To be alive and a single cell (as part of a multicellular organism or as a stand-alone single celled organism) is also to be in constant exchange but anaerobic bacteria can use electron acceptors other than oxygen.

In any case, all that stops at death. This inevitably changes the gas composition of whatever just died. Then for us multicelled organisms, the bacteria in and on us can grow unrestrained which pretty quickly causes structural changes. Bacterial cells themselves break apart at their death and the contents spill out into wherever they were. Trying to arrange those spilled chemicals back into a bacterial shape would take......a billion years :wink:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 8:50 am

Oldavid wrote:
Inventor wrote:

We could be more useful.
I liked you better when the cyber-hole ate your submissions.

How do you know that "We are but a small part of a massive being of energy involved in a fantastic artwork"? To me the most fantastic artwork is the fantastic artworks of loonies completely detached from the constraints of reality.

The constraints of a reality humans create for themselves and impose on others is most definitely Einstein's DEF of the insanity of doing the same stuff over and over again and expecting a different result.

I come here to this Internet site to study the human condition. I come here to this Internet site for folks to criticize both my style of language and content of language, to again study the human condition. I come here to this Internet site for inspiration to build upon ideas of imagination in prose for the creation activity that I enjoy in life so much, as it stimulates parts of my brain AND body in BALANCE that are NEVER EVER stimulated by analytical thinking mind, alone.

I go to literally hundreds of DIVERSE International Poetry sites to gain inspiration and create free verse poetry that is assessed by VETERANS of both writing and reading poetry, as 'a new strata of free verse poetry never seen before with poet eyes'. Some folks describe it as beautiful, astounding, and amazing; other folks describe it as too much text.

And yes, I can prove that with both quotes and links on request.

And that's truly amazing, considering that in 2010 when I start this writing expedition, I can write little more than 'laundry lists' of facts in techno speak for the Federal government, in some of the hats assigned by the Bosses working for the Federal Government through strict regulations and guidelines, IN MY federal service 'there' through the course of a quarter of a century.

Oldavid, OMG of Evolving and Amazing CREATIVE Nature, you come here over and over and OVER again every day trying to convince college educated young folks that evolution is some kind of conspiracy generated by scientist nerds THAT YOU MAGICALLY CHANGE INTO NARCISSISTS, all over the world, for CLOSE TO A century now.

You do prove in the parameters of this website that 'human evolution' is almost impossible for 'some' folks in the span of months, on a website, beyond the logic of repeating stuff that no one is ever EVER going to believe.

I communicate with you because you are a sure source of inspiration in my study of the human condition, as your flavor, though extremely vanilla, is fascinating, per doing the same stuff over and over and expecting a different result that human common sense dictates is literally impossible.

Need I say more. I tend to avoid personal attacks as they are the lowest level of hierarchy of human critical thinking on the bottom of the pyramid of human evolution in just one life.

However, I do play with humans from time to time; as that can be fun too..;)

I HAVE only one important piece of advice for you, NOW.

Change is LIFE.

Try it; you might like
it, OR NOT.

But anyway, honestly, you inspire me enough in a way;
that truly I can write FREE verse poetry about you, in an
anonymous kind of way,
in a prayer for
change
for
you..:)

Sincerely,

Friend.

YOU are
special...;")

And you 'should' feel special;
as those words are words I usually
reserve for truly close friends, like my
Muslim female friend(s) from Pakistan.

AND they move out of 'the box' with
ease on a day to day basis amazingly
FREE for living in countries that
technically do NOT afford
that luxury my
friend.

It's a wonderful time in history
in the Good Ole USA to
express the human
condition in all
"i's" colors
and '50
shades
of
'GREY'.

AND TRULY FRIEND
THAT IS WHAT LIFE
IS EXPRESSED
TO THE
FULLEST;
C R E A T I V I T Y;
THE greaTEST evolution
of all in just one LIFE FOR NOW..:)

'The Kingdom of Heaven is Now',
expressed by the TEACHERS of past
and PRESENT come fully alive for NOW.

"Kingdom of Creativity New Israel"

Last edited by aghogday on 01 Jun 2015, 9:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2015, 8:53 am

Oldavid wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Quote:

I suggest you re-read the end of page 2 and the beginning of page 3.

If you die of dehydration, your salt balances are all going to be out of wack and your cells are being destroyed. You can't then bring those cells back to life, not even by adding water - you'd need to repair damaged organelles, you'd need to repair other cells which these depend on to keep them alive (those that keep the heart beating, lungs pumping, red blood cells...). With death, all the body's functions shut off, you've got to restart all those functions to get things going again.

How do interrelated complex structures evolve? I would imagine they initially gave an advantage, but weren't vital for survival. Over time, so many new processes were built on top of them that they eventually did become vital. For example, the heart. A pump-based system of circulation allowed species to get bigger than relying on diffusion alone would do. Once the pump enabled us to grow bigger, we relied on it to stay alive.