A father/novelist affirms autistic son,autistic people

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 12:46 am

It was a heartwarming experience today to hear a live interview on Radio New Zealand with novelist David Mitchell interviewed by Kim Hill (who is also a wonderful interviewer):

David Mitchell is the author of six novels, two of which have been shortlisted for the Booker Prize. He lived and taught in Japan for many years, and now lives in Ireland. His most recent novel is The Bone Clocks (2014, Sceptre), and with his wife Keiko Yoshida he translated The Reason I Jump (2013, Hachette), written at the age of 13 by autistic child Naoki Higishida.

Mitchell has an autistic son and the second half of the interview was consistently themed by the father's deep and real admiration of his son: "The message I want to get across to people is that he lives with and copes with symptoms every single day of his life that neurotypical people could not cope with even for one day of their lives". The second half was an appeal not just for acceptance and awareness but for admiration of what autistic people contend with, ignorance from others being right up there.

I haven't read The Reason I Jump, which he translated from the Japanese, though will be doing so in the very near future. If you have read it, perhaps you would like to comment.

Here is a link to some quotes from the book:
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2 ... son-i-jump

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 12:53 pm

I own and love the book.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 5:48 pm

Lumi wrote:
I own and love the book.

Me too.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2016, 11:36 am

I am getting this book. Thanks for mentioning it :)

skyflower40
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Aug 2016, 1:27 pm

Just added it to the "must read" list. Thanks :D

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 4:05 am

'The Reason I jump' is deceptively simple, but there are penetrating insights in every phrase. This book should be on school curricula everywhere - it would lead to a greater understanding of autism.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 1:04 am

I'm going to get that book.