Autistic girl kicked off flight because captain was uncomfor

Page 7 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2015, 9:47 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Moromillas wrote:

Even on wrongplanet you have people inferring it wasn't discrimination. The suit will show, once and for all, that it was indeed discrimination leaving no ambiguity in the mind's of the people. It IS discrimination, it is wrong, and it is unjust. That's why, I believe, the suit is needed, to remove the; "Well, it doesn't look like it's discrimination" nonsense from the conversation entirely. From there people can look at it objectively, and gain an understanding as to why removing people that talk about AS is discrimination.

Disagree. People will think what they think. For most it will be just another example of a legal system run amuck unfairly punishing the airline for trying to protect the passengers. I might be Autistic with different thinking but that does not preclude me from listening to people for 5+ decades and gaining some understanding of how people think around here. If she sues and loses neither you nor me and many who think it was discrimination /wrong are going to change our minds based on the legal precedent set.

I'm hoping you're seeing this, and also the need for a case that definitively proves that meltdowns aren't random violent outbursts where "the autism" takes over, as there's more than a few peddling that crap.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 11:28 am

I'm not saying the captain was right, but:
"“I just kind of said, ‘You know what? Maybe after she has a meltdown and she’s crying and trying to scratch, then you’ll help us,'” Beegle told the station."
This was incredibly stupid on her part. After 15 years this mom should realize that threatening others with your autistic child's behavior is a really bad idea. Hell, even someone without an autistic kid should realize that. And yes, it would only possibly be taken as a threat in that context: "give me what I ask for or my daughter will misbehave!". It's a completely irresponsible thing for any parent to say. Other people hold you responsible for your kid's behavior, and won't respond positively to a parent who tries to shift that responsibility. I'm autistic and I realize that!

NT parents can be so stupid sometimes. I get the impression they're just trapped in this view of themselves as martyrs to their autistic offspring and the rest of the world somehow owing them - the parents - special treatment. Autistic people don't have a right to get violent on planes if we don't like the meal, and I doubt anyone here would say we do, but that seems to be what this mom was thinking when she made threats on her daughter's behalf. It's disgusting.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2015, 11:48 am

Nonperson wrote:
"“I just kind of said, ‘You know what? Maybe after she has a meltdown and she’s crying and trying to scratch, then you’ll help us,'” Beegle told the station."
This was incredibly stupid on her part. After 15 years this mom should realize that threatening others with your autistic child's behavior is a really bad idea. Hell, even someone without an autistic kid should realize that. And yes, it would only possibly be taken as a threat in that context: "give me what I ask for or my daughter will misbehave!". It's a completely irresponsible thing for any parent to say. Other people hold you responsible for your kid's behavior, and won't respond positively to a parent who tries to shift that responsibility. I'm autistic and I realize that!

NT parents can be so stupid sometimes. I get the impression they're just trapped in this view of themselves as martyrs to their autistic offspring and the rest of the world somehow owing them - the parents - special treatment. Autistic people don't have a right to get violent on planes if we don't like the meal, and I doubt anyone here would say we do, but that seems to be what this mom was thinking when she made threats on her daughter's behalf. It's disgusting.

Except that quote is not a threat, but something that elicits sympathy...

“I just kind of said, ‘You know what? Maybe after she has a meltdown and she’s crying and trying to scratch, then you’ll help us,'” Beegle told the station.
Has a VERY different context to...
"give me what I ask for or my daughter will misbehave!"

Yes it was stupid for her to say that, but it shouldn't be stupid to talk about that stuff. The same can be said for alluding to being gay, many years ago. Yes it's quite stupid, but it shouldn't be stupid.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 12:30 pm

Moromillas wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Moromillas wrote:

Even on wrongplanet you have people inferring it wasn't discrimination. The suit will show, once and for all, that it was indeed discrimination leaving no ambiguity in the mind's of the people. It IS discrimination, it is wrong, and it is unjust. That's why, I believe, the suit is needed, to remove the; "Well, it doesn't look like it's discrimination" nonsense from the conversation entirely. From there people can look at it objectively, and gain an understanding as to why removing people that talk about AS is discrimination.

Disagree. People will think what they think. For most it will be just another example of a legal system run amuck unfairly punishing the airline for trying to protect the passengers. I might be Autistic with different thinking but that does not preclude me from listening to people for 5+ decades and gaining some understanding of how people think around here. If she sues and loses neither you nor me and many who think it was discrimination /wrong are going to change our minds based on the legal precedent set.

I'm hoping you're seeing this, and also the need for a case that definitively proves that meltdowns aren't random violent outbursts where "the autism" takes over, as there's more than a few peddling that crap.

Since she is going to sue I hope it this suit is the precedent setting moment of acceptance you expect and not the public relations disaster that will cause more discrimination that I expect.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:12 pm

I hope it won't reinforce the stereotype that people on the spectrum get violent when they don't get what they want which is what the mother made it sound like.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 2:33 pm

Moromillas wrote:
Nonperson wrote:

“I just kind of said, ‘You know what? Maybe after she has a meltdown and she’s crying and trying to scratch, then you’ll help us,'” Beegle told the station.

Yes it was stupid for her to say that, but it shouldn't be stupid to talk about that stuff. The same can be said for alluding to being gay, many years ago. Yes it's quite stupid, but it shouldn't be stupid.

I used to do the same thing as you. Say something and deny saying the other because I did not say that. For example I would tell my brother he is chubby and then say I never said he is fat, I said he is chubby. Or the time I said in 7th grade I wish I could slap the art teacher and I got a day of suspension for that threat. I said I never said I will slap her I said I wished I could.

Now I realize there are different ways of saying things that mean the same thing.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2015, 8:49 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Nonperson wrote:

I used to do the same thing as you. Say something and deny saying the other because I did not say that. For example I would tell my brother he is chubby and then say I never said he is fat, I said he is chubby. Or the time I said in 7th grade I wish I could slap the art teacher and I got a day of suspension for that threat. I said I never said I will slap her I said I wished I could.

Now I realize there are different ways of saying things that mean the same thing.

There is no mincing of words, there simply isn't a threat here. That's why the family was so shocked and befuddled when they were kicked off, because they made no threat.

The hedging is coming from people that want to believe it's a threat, contrary to the facts.

People seem interested in gross misquoting, well here's an analogy that's comparable:
"Perhaps after someone slips and cracks their head on the tiles, then you'll put down a wet floor sign."
OMG! They're threatening to make people fall over, to crack their heads open! Er, no ... no they're not, that's nonsense.

In no other situation would that phrasing be considered a threat. Yet when you mention anything AS related, it's suddenly a cause for alarm. All you have to do is mention stimming along with the word 'meltdown' and that's more than enough for people to warp reality, and distort the facts into a situation where AS people are going to become violent and someone is going to get hurt, and it's disgusting. Disgusting and monstrous that they can't even check what the family meant by scratch and meltdown should they not know what she's talking about. No, they just assume, then make up their own definitions, and their own context. Just fill in the blanks with made up crap, so you can use it to discriminate. Or worse still, get the idea from the various propaganda sites that portray a meltdown as a kind of Berserker trance.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 8:57 pm

We're actually the ones adding new definitions to meltdown and scratching.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2015, 9:01 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:

Then don't.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 9:43 pm

Wiktionary wrote:
meltdown (plural meltdowns)
1. Severe overheating of the core of a nuclear reactor resulting in the core melting and radiation escaping.
Four years have passed since the meltdown at the Chernobyl nuclear plant, but the grim legacy of the Soviet catastrophe is still unfolding. [1]
2. A situation being likened to a nuclear meltdown; a crisis.  [quotations ▼]
Computer engineers were at a loss last night to explain why the Government had been hit by arguably the worst electronic meltdown in the history of Whitehall. [2]
3. (figuratively) A tantrum.

scratching
Present participle of scratch.

Huh? No mention of autism whatsoever. Crazy that people couldn't understand what the angry lady meant.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2015, 10:26 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Wiktionary wrote:
meltdown (plural meltdowns)
1. Severe overheating of the core of a nuclear reactor resulting in the core melting and radiation escaping.
Four years have passed since the meltdown at the Chernobyl nuclear plant, but the grim legacy of the Soviet catastrophe is still unfolding. [1]
2. A situation being likened to a nuclear meltdown; a crisis.  [quotations ▼]
Computer engineers were at a loss last night to explain why the Government had been hit by arguably the worst electronic meltdown in the history of Whitehall. [2]
3. (figuratively) A tantrum.

scratching
Present participle of scratch.

Huh? No mention of autism whatsoever. Crazy that people couldn't understand what the angry lady meant.

So, straw man, purposely misquoting, linking definitions, and now you're onto hedging words.
Hey, perhaps she meant that there's a nuclear reactor on the plane that's going to go critical.

I'm well aware of the stigma and misinterpretation surrounding meltdowns, you don't have to post your bias confirmation.
We can safely conclude, that you don't have the capacity to understand what's going on here. Perhaps it's too nuanced for you.

That "angry lady" is someone that has gotten off their ass, and is actually doing something about the vile stigmas, rather than being as condescending as possible and making snide little remarks over the internet.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 10:34 pm

On the contrary, you're being deliberately obtuse.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2015, 10:44 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
On the contrary, you're being deliberately obtuse.

Perhaps we could have a proper debate after you come back with less straw man, ad hom, and snide remarks.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 10:55 pm

In the immortal words of Rodney King: Can't we all just get along?
Disagreements are disagreements, people can annoy each other at times. There's no need to go making things personal, it just devolves people back to homo erectus (god that word always sounds so dirty).

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 11:28 pm

Moromillas wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Nonperson wrote:

There is no mincing of words, there simply isn't a threat here. That's why the family was so shocked and befuddled when they were kicked off, because they made no threat.

The hedging is coming from people that want to believe it's a threat, contrary to the facts.

People seem interested in gross misquoting, well here's an analogy that's comparable:
"Perhaps after someone slips and cracks their head on the tiles, then you'll put down a wet floor sign."
OMG! They're threatening to make people fall over, to crack their heads open! Er, no ... no they're not, that's nonsense.

In no other situation would that phrasing be considered a threat. Yet when you mention anything AS related, it's suddenly a cause for alarm. All you have to do is mention stimming along with the word 'meltdown' and that's more than enough for people to warp reality, and distort the facts into a situation where AS people are going to become violent and someone is going to get hurt, and it's disgusting. Disgusting and monstrous that they can't even check what the family meant by scratch and meltdown should they not know what she's talking about. No, they just assume, then make up their own definitions, and their own context. Just fill in the blanks with made up crap, so you can use it to discriminate. Or worse still, get the idea from the various propaganda sites that portray a meltdown as a kind of Berserker trance.

That actually does sound like a threat to me.
And while I think "Perhaps after someone slips and cracks their head on the tiles, then you'll put down a wet floor sign." DOES essentially mean the same thing as "If you don't put a wet floor sign down, people are going to slip and crack their heads on the tiles", I actually find the first one to be MORE threatening than the second one because it strikes me as passive aggressive. Maybe "threat" is *NOT* literally the right word, but it's definitely passive aggressive and has an unpleasant tone.

Please think twice about telling me that I "don't have the capacity to understand what's going on here" (as you told jrjones). I'm not an expert on logical fallacies, but that strikes me as an ad hominem attack, which is something you are accusing others of doing. It is possible for two intelligent people to disagree.

*I added the word "not" with stars around it- it was a typo.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 11:47 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:

Huh? What other way does scratching mean? Doesn't it mean using your fingernails to run them across someone's skin? if you do it hard enough it will rip it open making it bleed.