Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 5:31 pm

Eloa wrote:
But the Gillian Asperger scale is to asses Asperger's, so why did she change to autism?

I don't know. I guess because all the spectrum diagnoses are officially called Autism Spectrum Disorder now (I'm in the U.S.), but the test names haven't changed, so it's still Gilliam Asperger scale.

Quote:
To parental/childhood interview: if it is assessed by a professional it is not globally asked if there are delays in developmental milestones, but they ask for specific things like for example if the child has an extreme fear of loud noises or the vacuum cleaner and other things.

My mom didn't get interviewed. Information from my childhood was given in a rudimentary and impromptu fashion: The examiner called me a couple of weeks before I got my results and asked me about my developmental milestones, exposure to drugs, and my mom's pregancy/delivery. I asked my mom and called her back with the information. Besides a few details from my life history (such as experiences at school), that's the only childhood information that was involved. They didn't ask me for anything else.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 5:41 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Anyhow, that was > 2 years ago. I thought that Schizoid was since excluded from DSM-V.

I thought that too! But she pulled out a DSM 5 in my feedback session and went through the SPD criteria with me. Maybe people were just talking about removing it, and it never happened?

Quote:
I am curious – how did you do on the Wechsler Memory scale? Did the examiner say anything about memory issues?

She said that I did very well. I didn't see the scores. I'm not even sure that I took the whole thing; I looked it up today and I don't remember doing that many sub-tests.

Quote:
Also, you didn’t say anything about early childhood development. Was this discussed during your assessment?

No. They didn't have much information about that, just that I'd met my milestones on-time and that my mother had had a normal pregnancy and delivery. They didn't ask me much about it.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 7:27 pm

Eloa wrote:
To parental/childhood interview: if it is assessed by a professional it is not globally asked if there are delays in developmental milestones, but they ask for specific things like for example if the child has an extreme fear of loud noises or the vacuum cleaner and other things.
I think experts in autism are aware of the fact that a parent would not always really be able to identify autistic symptoms, especially high functioning/Asperger's symptoms.

My parents used to describe these horrific meltdowns I had (when I was an infant/toddler) whenever I heard a vacuum cleaner or a lawn mower. I suppose, at the time, they knew I was frightened. But, they always assumed that I was associating this sound with a similar sound made by the saw used to remove the casts from my feet when I was an infant (I was born pigeon-toed and wore casts at the age of 6 months for about 3 months). To this day, they associate my unusual reaction to loud noises to the fact that I hated having these casts removed.

I guess all I am saying is that I agree that parents may not be the best judge of cause/effect.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 7:29 pm

Starkid - Just curious - Do you have symptoms that can be explained by ASD, but which cannot be explained by Schizoid Personality Disorder?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 7:57 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Starkid - Just curious - Do you have symptoms that can be explained by ASD, but which cannot be explained by Schizoid Personality Disorder?

I have motor stereotypies, but I don't remember having them as a child. I remember I sort of lost control and stimmed in front of another person once when I was 28, but after that, it didn't flare up until I became homeless and my financial situation and anxiety worsened.

I usually don't make much eye contact. I kind of sort of remember being uncomfortable with it as a child; I can't remember back very far, but it's definitely more marked now.

Accidentally upsetting people and not knowing why.

Not knowing whether people were being friendly or flirting with me, not even recognizing the possibility until months or years later.

Photosensitivity.

Mental monologuing. I deal with the urge to monologue at my sister by picturing us and imagining what I'd tell her, rather than actually talking. This doesn't happen often, though.

I have tended to spend insane amounts of time on my interests, but I usually have several of them, although I also have trouble switching between them. I think maybe that's just typical gifted/nerd stuff, though. I can't remember them being all that narrow except in the past six years or so.

Inability to regulate circadian rhythm. I could be on the same sleep schedule for years and never become accustomed to it.

Also mild synesthesia. Maybe it doesn't count. 9 is red and female, Wednesday is green.

And mild vestibular issues. I feel unbalanced and like I'm going to fall when I'm on stairs and escalators.

Last edited by starkid on 10 May 2015, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 May 2015, 8:01 pm

I was misdiagnosed with that instead of Aspergers & I also signed up for a Schizoid form but didn't relate well. I found the members to be immature & bitter.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 8:05 pm

nick007 wrote:
I was misdiagnosed with that instead of Aspergers & I also signed up for a Schizoid form but didn't relate well. I found the members to be immature & bitter.

I found them kind of bitter as well. I'm also bitter, but...I just don't express it the way they do, I guess. I don't randomly post bitter comments in legitimate threads.

Did you have a neuropsych evaluation?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 8:14 pm

starkid wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I found them kind of bitter as well. I'm also bitter, but...I just don't express it the way they do, I guess. I don't randomly post bitter comments in legitimate threads.

I was alot more depressed than bitter.

I was tested for Aspergers & other psychs I saw agreed I didn't have it but I'm not sure what you mean by neuropsych? I'm pretty sure I have AS thou & just didn't test well due to my dyslexia & my low vision disorder.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 8:45 pm

nick007 wrote:
starkid wrote:

I was tested for Aspergers & other psychs I saw agreed I didn't have it but I'm not sure what you mean by neuropsych?

Neuropsychological evaluation is when they give you a bunch of tests to see how your brain functions rather than just talking to you about thoughts and feelings like a therapist would do. It involves activities like IQ tests, solving puzzles, remembering things, naming things, drawing things, and some of the tasks are timed. You've probably had one if you've been diagnosed with dyslexia.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 2:38 am

Neuropsych testing is useful for finding out some things about someone's brain and how they use it, but it is not particularly useful for autism diagnosis, in my opinion. Autistic people cover a big range on neuropsych measures, and much the same range as NTs, so the results don't really help to make the distinction between autistic vs. NT vs. other mental disorders. Currently, I think the most optimal assessment is still behavioral observation over multiple appointments by an eggsperienced psych who has worked with many autistic people and knows what to look for, perhaps ADOS (although adults often complain of its childishness with the toothbrushing and storytelling contrivances), and perhaps neuropsych to give a better idea of a person's brain functions. Also, parent input is important to find out how the person was during childhood development.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 3:39 am

Rocket123 wrote:
Eloa wrote:
I think experts in autism are aware of the fact that a parent would not always really be able to identify autistic symptoms, especially high functioning/Asperger's symptoms.

My parents used to describe these horrific meltdowns I had (when I was an infant/toddler) whenever I heard a vacuum cleaner or a lawn mower. I suppose, at the time, they knew I was frightened. But, they always assumed that I was associating this sound with a similar sound made by the saw used to remove the casts from my feet when I was an infant (I was born pigeon-toed and wore casts at the age of 6 months for about 3 months). To this day, they associate my unusual reaction to loud noises to the fact that I hated having these casts removed.

I guess all I am saying is that I agree that parents may not be the best judge of cause/effect.

I also had a giant fear of the vacuum cleaner and other loud noises.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 3:48 am

To btbnnyr:

Can I ask you something as you are professionally involved with autism?

starkid wrote:
I was told that my verbal IQ score (136) was too high because people with autism usually have language problems

Is it true that a too high verbal IQ score rules out autism?

Because here are many people on WP are very gifted and many report that their VIQ is higher than their PIQ so they must have a giantly high VIQ.

I have never heard that the VIQ can be too high to have autism.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 11:01 am

Eloa wrote:
To btbnnyr:

starkid wrote:
I was told that my verbal IQ score (136) was too high because people with autism usually have language problems

Because here are many people on WP are very gifted and many report that their VIQ is higher than their PIQ so they must have a giantly high VIQ.

I was told by an orginiztion that provides services to developmentally disabled that I communicated too well verbally to have anything on the autism spectrum. But they were also surprised I had a high-school diploma & mentioned my IQ may be too high.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 4:07 pm

Eloa wrote:
To btbnnyr:

starkid wrote:

No FSIQ, VIQ, PIQ, or any other IQ score can rule out autism, from IQ = 0 to highest possible IQ.
In research papers, there are IQ ranges given for autistic and neurotypical people who participate, and I have seen the range on autistic side go above 140.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 8:37 am

Thank you for explaining.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 10:00 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Neuropsych testing is useful for finding out some things about someone's brain and how they use it, but it is not particularly useful for autism diagnosis, in my opinion.

btbnnyr - Just curious, what does the latest research (which you believe is valid) say about the relationship between ASD and Short-Term Memory and Executive Functioning?