pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 8:59 pm

denpajin wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
denpajin wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
The word "cracker" means "slave driver" (one who cracks a whip). That's quite obviously different to "thug" - one is shooting up, the other is shooting down.

If you want to use the word "thug" then nobody is going to stop you, just be aware that, rightly or wrongly, you run the risk of being perceived as a racist if you use the language of racists.

The direction of which force is initiated, does not change the fact that initiation force (in this case, violence) is bad. A rich guy killing a poor guy, is just as bad as a poor guy killing a rich guy.

Last time I checked, calling somebody a cracker or a thug didn't kill them in most circumstances.

No, but a black guy beating someone is just as bad as a white guy beating someone. Be it a thug, or a cracker, beating is equally bad.

That might be the sanest thing you've said...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 11:21 am

I have seen people call white people the N word, does that mean it's not racist? Even I have been called it too and my response always has been "Huh, I'm not black." They must be colorblind or they don't even know what the word means. but does it still change the fact that it's racist or not?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 4:17 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I have seen people call white people the N word, does that mean it's not racist? Even I have been called it too and my response always has been "Huh, I'm not black." They must be colorblind or they don't even know what the word means. but does it still change the fact that it's racist or not?

If I'm called the N word, the implication is that I'm too low to even be white trash. It's more of an example of class bigotry.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 1:12 pm

League_Girl wrote:
depends on who said it and with what intent.
the problem with such loaded terms is that merely using them is often a display of intent outright in most cases.