Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 10:08 am

Rocks, Trees, beasts, cats and humans. We have a progression of life with humans at the top. We claim that superiority from our ability of reflection, the ability to create and we will say progress. Some people claim that trees are conscious because they can talk to them. I wont argue the point. Other people say that beasts are not truly conscious but just automata. Have they ever owned a cat?

Animal owners who form a close relationship with their pets will be able to tell you they are able to understand just about every word they say and I think the word knowing comes to mind. However, humans have proved themselves to be more than a superior kind of animal. We have the ability to begin with a simple tool then gradually improve, with occasional leaps forward such as the iron smelting furnace. Over time those leaps have accelerated in frequency and continue to do so.

Another human attribute is the ability to create things of great beauty. Skills for that have improved over time, although maybe in a different kind of way. The most logical minds will insist that all this creativity and beauty comes from neurons racing around inside the skull. It seems to me that many people have a need to believe that. There can be input from other humans who have neurons racing around in their skulls. I think that need comes from wanting to be separate from God rather than an intellectual thing. As such is does have to be thought about concerning God so much as a desire for independence.

What we see is the desire to dominate the world. Mankind wants to be his own God. This has brought about entropy on a massive scale. Anyone who believe in the laws of Physics will understand just how unyielding they can be. So, if if people are willing to yield to God then all of this dominance will have to cease. The struggle is all to obvious.

Perhaps the idea that much of human consciousness is outside the body could be a frightening thought. However, prominent scientists are beginning to accept the idea these days. I have to suppose again the belief of an internal mind comes down to the need for independence. However, many creative people take the concept of a muse quite seriously. I can only that that it seems to me a fictional story I write seems to already exist and I am simply typing the words that come to mind, maybe along with pictures of the scene. Many writers use this stream of consciousness.

A well know the problem of studying consciousness is the fact of not getting outside of it to observe. Now that's something independence obviously cannot achieve.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 12:54 pm

Most do live within their own skulls, and consider higher powers to be their Church or Government.

They are not the ones that produce the tools and the beauty in life.

The only means approved to reach outside your limited self is to accept the Judo-Christian God, and His Church as your Master.

As often happens here, writing out a thought gets a demand for citing a source for that thought. We are to learn our thoughts from established academic sources.

Some have considered the problem of defining out of human thoughts.

Colin Renfrew of Archaeology fame ran into the problem. He hired Illustrators for his books. He gave them all the site details, they were to recreate the site as it existed so long ago. They consistently added details that he had not given them, that they were not trained to know, that upon study turned out to be right, and this happened many times.

He wrote a book about how the views of Art and Science Converge. His view, we both were tapping into a greater source of knowledge that is not bound by time and space.

The key to this is an active and dedicated pursuit of that beyond your skill and knowledge.

I was once friends with a horse. He was somewhat burned out on humans. So was I. I walked his pasture, stood under the Moon, tripped over rocks in the dark, and came back and removed them, packed dirt in the hole. He looked at the place I dug the rock, stepped on it, went and looked at the rock I had placed under the fence line, and looked at me. A human had shown intelligence? Humans had used lead ropes, bridles and bits, I opened the back pasture gate and asked if he would like to go for a walk. We walked cheek to cheek through the forest, I ran at the steep parts of the trail as I had seen he did. I walked at his pace.

Teaching me to speak did not work as well, but brought much laughter from the other horses. I did reply with action when asked. An uneaten patch of grass I was shown had a loose piece of barbed wire, like a snake in the grass it would bite a horse. I fixed it, and pulled the grass, bringing it to him in a box. The ground was clear, he inspected it closely.

Once he spoke at length, and flared his nostrils, and I smelled the apples on the ground beneath the tree. Gathered in a box, brought to his pasture, I stood as he ate them. He spent a drunken afternoon about his pasture. A horse can get drunk on half a beer. I did share.

I turned some silt loam for a garden, and before it was made into beds he looked at it, talked to me, watched as I dug, and when done, I let him in for a good wallow. Horses can downright swim in loose dirt.

When he got a nail in his hoof, he called to me, lifted his foot, and I got right to work.

I was open to his world view, treated him like a friend, responded when he spoke. I saw things that had always been there. how a rock would hurt a hoof, that uneaten grass had some problem, and that some of his favorite grass, was ungrazed, a single clump left to grow and go to seed, while the rest of the pasture was grazed close.

I do not think he was reseeding the pasture, I think it was his sense of art, beauty, and the best flower in his garden. He grazed around it and looked at it.

So a man meets a horse, becomes friends, they learn of each other.

Every horse I have met since seems to know.

Later, living in the mountains, the deer and bears seemed to know, and horses came and just stood around with me. Bears have huge claws, as large as my fingers, and they use them to cultivate around their favorite berry bushes. Bears keep gardens. The largest local bear came to my cabin, to visit, and stand fifteen foot away. Through a screen we touched paws. Then I went outside. I was made welcome in his forest.

Boundaries vanish when you walk through them. In art and writing we get so caught up, we forget what we don't know, and just do it.

Human concepts give me some problems, Religion, God, but if all Life is God, and communication is universal, I fit right in.

A close social animal like us, Wolves. Farley Mowat and others tell of wolves coming by to meet the new guy in the forest, making a friendly social call. Wolves play, and they play with Ravens. Stories of humans being adopted by wolves are old.

We alone limit ourselves claiming communication is by words. All other creatures seem telepathic. A horse I have never seen neighs and comes to it's pasture fence to look at me, because part of my head is horse thinking.

The Lene Lanape People call the rattle snake Cousin. This family relationship thought leads to them not being bitten. In Egypt, Cobras are considered great beings, they hunt mice in the grain, the house, and they are offered dishes of milk. New babies are taken out and introduced to the local cobras. When met, they are spoken to with respect, cobras do not bite the local farmers.

Our hostile and dismissive relationship with other life forms is holding us back from seeing the totality of Life as God. All life is sacred, this year we lost 42% of the bees, and most of the Monarch Butterflies. The world will be much poorer without the pollinators.

A hundred and fifty years ago the southwest was grassland, the Great Plains tall grass prairie. Ninety million buffalo roamed. Cattle and grain farming has produced desert and drought, just as it did in the Middle East.

We make war on God, we will lose.

Cato Publius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2015, 1:23 pm

Grebels wrote:
Rocks, Trees, beasts, cats and humans. We have a progression of life with humans at the top. We claim that superiority from our ability of reflection, the ability to create and we will say progress. Some people claim that trees are conscious because they can talk to them. I wont argue the point. Other people say that beasts are not truly conscious but just automata. Have they ever owned a cat?

Animal owners who form a close relationship with their pets will be able to tell you they are able to understand just about every word they say and I think the word knowing comes to mind. However, humans have proved themselves to be more than a superior kind of animal. We have the ability to begin with a simple tool then gradually improve, with occasional leaps forward such as the iron smelting furnace. Over time those leaps have accelerated in frequency and continue to do so.

Another human attribute is the ability to create things of great beauty. Skills for that have improved over time, although maybe in a different kind of way. The most logical minds will insist that all this creativity and beauty comes from neurons racing around inside the skull. It seems to me that many people have a need to believe that. There can be input from other humans who have neurons racing around in their skulls. I think that need comes from wanting to be separate from God rather than an intellectual thing. As such is does have to be thought about concerning God so much as a desire for independence.

What we see is the desire to dominate the world. Mankind wants to be his own God. This has brought about entropy on a massive scale. Anyone who believe in the laws of Physics will understand just how unyielding they can be. So, if if people are willing to yield to God then all of this dominance will have to cease. The struggle is all to obvious.

Perhaps the idea that much of human consciousness is outside the body could be a frightening thought. However, prominent scientists are beginning to accept the idea these days. I have to suppose again the belief of an internal mind comes down to the need for independence. However, many creative people take the concept of a muse quite seriously. I can only that that it seems to me a fictional story I write seems to already exist and I am simply typing the words that come to mind, maybe along with pictures of the scene. Many writers use this stream of consciousness.

A well know the problem of studying consciousness is the fact of not getting outside of it to observe. Now that's something independence obviously cannot achieve.

Is all this to say that humans being superior is but a human made construct? If I interpret it correctly, I like the idea; though I am ignorant of the science alluded to. Just not sure if I fully understand; though it seems interesting.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 3:15 pm

Inventor, I had my own story of a horse talking to me telepathically. Knowing my own imagination I decided to check this out with a jockey I knew. He assured me that my story was quite valid. It was happening with him all the time. But jockeys aren't likely to spell that out too loudly are they.

Cato, I think we could ask in what way are humans superior. Their are obvious way in which amimals are superior to humans. Animals don't seem able to put the results of those senses together in such a way as to make something new.

Sorry to say I am long in the tooth and have forgotten my sources and probably wouldn't even find them accessible now.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 5:27 pm

I've experienced too much to believe that life ends at death.

When man made the jump to the modern era a lot of ancient knowledge was lost, which is slowly being regained.
We do not fully understand the physical world and very little about the non physical world.

Who knows what exists after death, it may be what is described in the Bible/Quran/Torah or could be something that is described in Hinduism and far East religions.
Or it could be something described in Native American religions and Buddhism (they are quite similar in many ways).

They say if you go to Bath, Michigan, you can still see the souls of the those who died in bombing of Bath Michigan (took place in May of 1927) and you can see the kids who died in when school was bombed if you visit the memorial (on the site of the bombed out school). I've never been to Bath myself.

If you have a house built on a desecrated Native American burial site, your house will be haunted by spirits (I used to live in one as kid).

People have claimed to see the souls of those who died in concentration camps in Europe, especially at night.
Others claim you can see the souls of the dead a certain WWI battlefields...

Many have claimed their animals never passed into the afterlife and have seen their souls wander about...

I do believe animals and such have emotions and souls.

I would love to see a rose have a human soul like Biollante from Godzilla VS. Biollante...

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 5:47 pm

Humans are only superior at being human.

For their scale, termites built bigger cities with heating and air conditioning. Leaf Cutter ants grow mushrooms, other ants herd aphids.

So no one else built an iron smelter.

Bees are a hive computer, complex space, the location of new flowers a mile away takes a little leg shaking dance, then everyone knows. New horses know what the last horse learned about you, because your mind was horse formatted.

Not being a telepathic species, we have no defense when a deer stands so still that walking by ten foot away you do not see it, because the thought was planted, there is no deer here, and these are not the droids you are looking for.

Then there is the Muse. The branches of the Greek Demon. Defined as a messenger of the gods, because no man could view the gods and remain sane. The Greeks credited this intermediate spirit with being the source of all the gifts of culture.

Many non Greeks since have said they were filled with a spirit of being that magnified their ability and worked them to exhaustion. When the spirit leaves the ability to produce drops to a mortal level. Also, the mortal returns to eating, sleeping, bathing, wearing clean clothes, and speaking with family and neighbors.

The Greek advice about a man with his demon, leave him a basket of bread and pitcher of water, do not speak, leave quickly. It is always best to avoid becoming involved in the affairs of the gods.

Much has been said about beings without bodies. All of the debate is about meaning, not that they exist. Not that they can share a body with a human. Not all of them produce art.

I do keep a stack of paper, drawing pencils, ink pens, color pencils, water color and acrylics, brushes, which I do not use often, but when I do it is long lasting and intense. Mostly it comes as I review a book that someone wrote and I typed, and then produced illustrations. I get the same feeling about both, I wonder who did that.

It comes when I am trying, striving at my best ability, then it comes and far exceeds my ability. It comes when I abandon my life, sense of self, in a quest for knowledge and understanding.

In that, it may just be I put forward enough effort to reach my overself, Atman. I became worthy of attention, where my usual role is the beast of burden. Even us beasts have good days.

Humans, the animal with a parasitic overself, a second mind that is mostly not involved with the behavior of the ape. Sometimes I can catch it's attention, but I would not last long as it is intense, and skips rest, food, bathing, sleep, and the session ends when I pass out exhausted. Lately I have put writing and drawing aside and worked on gardening and motorcycle mechanics. They make me stronger.

Leaving my book untouched for six months, reading it is like the first time I ever saw it. The next push will be web site, more illustration, the text has not changed in the last few readings, and going into actual production is frightening. It takes a while for the mental image of what next to form.

Everything has happened so far, so I think the rest will. To reach goals you must have them. Persistence has more power than working to excess. Being prepared for the next Invasion of the Body Snatcher, I might better utilize it's talents.

I would write, An Idiots Guide to Possession, but only people who knew horses were telepathic would buy it.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 11:30 pm

I tap into the stream of consciousness for one day in writing a Christmas Story, in middle school, a few days in philosophy class, at age 18, and a drought until 2007 when it comes by way of piano, until falling to illness, and coming back in writing, again, in March of 2013.

It has not left me yet, since 2013; and when I do it; it is a blissful feeling of non-effort; sometimes taking two or three readings for even me to understand what arises from the fingertips of stream of consciousness.

Life is multi-dimensional in potential fuller mindful awareness, and there are levels of human heaven and levels of human hell that not everyone experiences.

To taste a grand span of both hell and heaven, brings about acceptance and tolerance at core for understanding how weak and strong the human condition can be.

All mammals have emotion to motivate action; not much different than humans.

The greatest change in human being making culture as complex as it is now, is the development of written language, subsequent collective intelligence, and all the complex cultures and social norms beneficial or not for the average human being.

And for me, I never realized how 'human' my cat is until I lost my emotions and cannot feel any oxytocin social bonding with other humans, including my wife; from a severe pain disorder.

At that point my cat definitely has a PAW up on me; as my cat veers away from my touch with his ears pinned back as a cat can sense a human without the output of affective emotion, as a dangerous source of potential harm.

These days there are many animals who retain emotions, and many animals named human that lose them by way of chronic social stress in all the colors that comes in, and shades of grey, as well.

AND BLACK AND WHITE, TOO..:)

Anyway, all I know is; I like science; but full human life arising to fuller human potential in
imagination and creativity through greater physical intelligence, as well, to regulate
emotions, integrate senses, and increase focus and short term working memory IS,
a 4 or 5 letter word named as Magic or MagicK..:)

Fuller reality is much stranger than fiction, as it does not have to make sense; to paraphrase
Mark Twain.

I live for the mysteries and fun of life, and let other people worry about the 'dirty' details..;)

But anyway, it is nice to finally hear some relatively new philosophy here, instead of the
same old school textbook stuff. Those days are over for me; to imagine and
create is far beyond the intelligence of mechanical cognition; blessing IT IS..:)
FOR NOW..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 9:41 am

Xenocity, I understand you, although such has never been my own experience. Quite certainly a lot of ancient knowledge has been lost.

Inventor, many thanks for the Renfrew mention. I would like to read the book.

Fred, I'm getting back into things now. A while ago I wrote a piece about the ancients at Chauvet Caves. You can use the Wrong Planet Search with the words Chauvet Grebels. I wanted to get into their minds if that were possible. I didn't succeed in that. The did live on the edge, where death was always close. I considered how they didn't have the mass media poring in loads of irrelevant junk, plus tragic news daily, no weapons of mass destruction and no visual overload. They could have had wonderfully clear minds. It is now a theme I'd like to develop.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 10:00 am

Grebels wrote:
Xenocity, I understand you, although such has never been my own experience. Quite certainly a lot of ancient knowledge has been lost.

Inventor, many thanks for the Renfrew mention. I would like to read the book.

Fred, I'm getting back into things now. A while ago I wrote a piece about the ancients at Chauvet Caves. You can use the Wrong Planet Search with the words Chauvet Grebels. I wanted to get into their minds if that were possible. I didn't succeed in that. The did live on the edge, where death was always close. I considered how they didn't have the mass media poring in loads of irrelevant junk, plus tragic news daily, no weapons of mass destruction and no visual overload. They could have had wonderfully clear minds. It is now a theme I'd like to develop.

That's sounds very interesting. Thank you; I will check into that; and wish you the best for 'getting back' into things now..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 7:58 pm

Nothing but this thread shows up with a search for Chauvet Grebels, or Chauvet.

I almost got through all posts by Grebels, when some site quirk sent me back to My Information.

It is a time I write of, and Chauvet Cave is the first big site discovered after it was agreed that early Europeans had more than a crooked spear and a fur jock.

Also, that it was early Europeans, and not later drunk Romans, like the ones said to have built Stonehenge.

We now know from Genetics and other sites that they were more tent people than cave people.

There are no signs of habitation in the painted caves. It was a major creation for a cultural purpose.

We are now forming a timeline for their ancestors, talented people, with only five and ten thousand year gaps.

I look for anything to fill those gaps.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 6:28 am

Thanks Fred.

Inventor, sorry not to have given good enough information for a search. Chauvet Grebels in google gives me a thread called Power of the Image at the very top. That is it. The link below works for me.

viewtopic.php?t=193681

I am trying to develop a line of thought here, so if you have anything new to contribute it could be useful. Chauvet seemed to have shattered all the theories about modern man appearing around 30,000 BC. As you say information is a bit thin on the ground.

If you have a source to suggest these people lived in tents I would very much appreciate it. The work in the caves does indeed suggest quite a bit of civilisation.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 12:52 am

I can click on links, my computer is not at all telepathic.

My work is the history of invention, and while human by the bones can be tracked back 125,000 years, no artifacts appear until 50,000 years ago.

The background, since the time of our first evidence, it had been a stable wave of ice. All the usual north and higher up were iced.

Cosmic stuff happened, one rock left a mile wide crater in Arizona, another in India, and the odds were four out of five any rock would hit the ocean. The first result would be colder, as cubic miles of ash are sent into low orbit, but as they settle, ash and soot cover the ice, and being darker, absorb more heat, and the ice started melting.

Good evidence of sea level rise, where the best lands, low and close to the beach, the Continental Shelves, flooded.
This pushes life inland and uphill, where conditions were not as good.

Below where the Tigres and Euphrates Rivers join, through the valley now the Persian Gulf, was a sunken land with a river running through it, rich in trees, brush, grass, and food.

Humans did not live there, they lived on the dry plain above, in the brush along the river. Homo Erectus lived in the better lands, and were the most common hominid. The also ate humans, and each other.

Both had the same, a sharp rock, fire, and pointed stick. The erectus took the best lands and humans avoided them.

Humans hunted more open brush land, and here some 50,000 years age we first find, the throwing stick, flat on the bottom, domed on the top, with engraved lines, that rotated as thrown flat, side arm, and generated lift.

They not only discovered the aerodynamic principle of the wing, but also that engraved wavy lines along the top created turbulence and increased lift.

Almost all of the force of the throw was conserved in the spinning wing, it floated to the target on lift, and when the tip hit the target, all conserved force was focused on that spot.

To quote Mohammed Ali, "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Everyone used hand axes, for a few million years. They work. Our same flat stick people attached a handle, gained reach and leverage, and did not have to get close and personal to kill something.

The pointed stick is as old as the hand axe, a fire hardened tip was the New and Improved Model. It was used by holding with both hands, running, until impacting the thing you wanted to put a hole in.

This kind of worked for Neanderthals, who weighed more, could knock most things off their feet, then use the spear as a lever to keep them off their feet. It did not work as well for the smaller species, sapien and erectus. It did not work in combat between the two, as they would spear each other, making a tie, which is not good in a life and death fight.

Humans produce the first thrown spear, as it is not the size of a hole you put in something, it is the thought that counts. A spear in the guts is a spear in the guts, with erectus, it gave time to close in with the halfted axe and finish the work.

A throwing stick does not carry the message, in early Australia they were as much as four feet long, had a hundred yard range, and could take off a head.

The first burst of technology happened above the Persian Gulf about 50,000 years ago. Vastly outnumbered by cannibal erectus being driven up hill by the ocean, humans used throwing sticks, followed by thrown spears, then closed and engaged with halfted axes.

The soot covered ice kept melting, the sea kept rising, and erectus kept coming. Humans were pushed back, up river, defended by superior technology, defeated by numbers.

It is also warming, humans get pushed north, up river, through Turkey, Georgia, and into the mountains beyond. 10,000 years pass and erectus never caught on to that human stick magic.

Humans put faith in their technology, never change, even when pushed back a thousand miles, and having their population reduced. Faced with superior stick magic, the erectus died, but the survivors used their sex magic to produce a lot more erectus.

Driven up the snow and ice covered mountains the humans died out, except one family.

It was here that to cross the wall at the end of the earth, the second burst of technology happened. Faced with a solid wall three miles high to the lowest pass, a whole complex of interlocking inventions were needed to cross the mountains.

For the first time we find clothes, shoes, backpacks, charcoal for fires above the tree line, rope for mountain conditions, and their remains are found on the north side of the mountains. Technology continues with sleds, boats, nets, snow shoes, and they thrive in a better if colder climate, with no trace of erectus.

This happened 38,000 to 40,000 years ago. They were the first people to reach a Mesolithic Culture.

They also migrated into the highlands of Ethiopia and through southeast Asia to Australia. They are known by their tools, throwing stick, thrown spear, halfted axe, and for all having wavy hair.

Only the group that went north into the cold had a second wave of technology.

They also seem a branch of the originals, because they are the only ones with Neanderthal DNA. This goes way back, as the first Neanderthal father line was 125,000 years ago, and the second 80,000, and there is a third coming up at 36,000. The other branches have none.

So after that long aside, back to cave painting.

The area north of the mountains is called The Mammoth Steppe. for 125,000 years the Great Scandinavian Ice Sheet had reached down to London, and a line out to the south end of the Ural Mountains. The snow had fallen farther north, and the ice sheet had flowed south, till it was only three miles thick.

Thousands of miles long, three mile high south facing cliff, the only constant water as ice ages are cold droughts, it never rains or snows. A constant mist bathed the land, ice sublimed into a condensing vapor, all of the green land below was protected from UV Rays, every twig had beads of water, the cliff reflected almost all the light that fell on it down into the flowing, writhing, rainbow coated mist that bathed the plants, producing the most intense growing conditions ever on Earth.

Nothing like The Mammoth Steppe exists today.

Along this line, maybe a hundred miles wide, herds in the millions had migrated between Siberia in the summer, and the south of France in the winter, for over a hundred thousand uninterrupted years.

It is along this line we find cave paintings, Southern Urals, Czech Republic, southern France.

Same pigments, an engraved sketch of a mammoth on slate found in the Czech Republic is later found painted large and in full color in a cave in France. It is obvious the same hand did both.

I think it was from the Urals, a cave painting of a square tent, lit within and of several colors. I have it in a book, I have lots of books. It was some crude Russian Commie cave, during the Cold War. You had to be there to know what it was like. When Neanderthal was discovered, the British said it was just a German Hun.

Ideology and unchangeable national spheres of influence aside, all artifacts, cave paintings, graves, are found along the same line as The Mammoth Steppe.

Pigments are not everywhere. Ocher is produced by burning grey iron oxide, which turns it red, then crushing it to a fine powder. None of the pigments, base coats, fillers, binders, came from near the caves where painting are found.

In the Hall of Bulls, a single painting is as large as a billboard. it uses ten gallons for a base coat, then as much for finely powdered pigments, and as much again for their binders. It is twenty-five foot off the floor, so scaffolding had to be made just to reach it. Reaching it takes bringing all that through miles of cave, sometimes through underwater passages, then you need fire for light, cooking, and lots of food, as this job looks like it took a team all winter.

Nothing to it, just gather and prepare tons of pigments, binders, brushes, scaffolding, food, then transport it miles underground.

Winter paintings are the most impressive, but the other locations show the prep work, and art for arts sake cave decoration. Also their graves. they wore pants and a long shirt, decorated with dyed quills, making woven patterns, and wore hair nets with a sea shell at each intersection. The one painted tent shows they most likely painted their sleds, Reindeer harness, and while none of their textiles seems to have survived, impressions in clay later burned in the fire show seven weaves, including herringbone tweed.

Colin Renfrew, Richard Rudgley, and others find number markings and word symbols at their sites. At the time they would have been the sole speakers of Indo-European, the first large vocabulary language.

The art style of the caves is still found in European Art. The arts of Asia, Africa, have other qualities, and never match the sense of space. They produced a power of art that later ages rarely match.

Living in a tent dragged around in a sled for several thousand miles of being one with the other animals, sharing life, everything they did had to be good to survive. They were born, grew up, were educated on the move. Herds do not go to the same spot every year. When flowers bloom early, the herds see the signs, and turn back from summer pasture before winter catches them by surprise. Every year is different, every year the berries taste different, there are messages in it all for those who watch.

There is art of prey, and the Liger twins, but Mammoths have another place, Our Friends. Mammoths were the most intelligent and long lived, With Mammoths near you do not have to worry about Lions and Tigers, Ligers, as they have to worry about Mammoths. Follow the Mammoths, they will break a trail through the brush, leave piles of dung that will cover your scent, and provide fuel, scare big cats, and their singing is delightful.

No room here, but I write about life on The Mammoth Steppe.

As the climate changed new trails opened, new to the humans, but the herds had a much longer memory, a warm year, they may turn north to a pasture not seen in fifty years, but herd memory is not the life of one animal. When after thousands of years, in a warm world, going far north to pasture, they feel the rising wind, smell snow in the distance, they turn as one and hurry south, and barely reach the edge of the storm that covers all, where they could not walk, would have nothing to eat.

It took a greater intelligence to survive, a reliance on the intelligence of the herds, a knowledge of how to read the signs of the year, and put your self in the best place for you to be.

Everything that everyone knew went into building every sled and tent, article of clothing, so that it fit it's function through good and bad years.

They also shared the land with Neanderthal, who 80,000 years ago made bird bone flutes with the tone scales we still use. Neanderthal painted their dead with red ocher, kept prepared pigments stored in shells, and carved in a bone the year in phases of the moon. They knew what week what herd would come through, where it would be, and which animals they would kill for food. Time and Music seem theirs, and they may have taught us painting.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 12:18 pm

Thanks for the wealth of information Inventor. Your thoughts on their intelligence are truly useful.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 10:00 pm

Grebels, have you ever heard of a book called The Rosicrucian Cosmo Conception by Max Heindel? You might have a lot of fun with that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 5:24 am

I've never heard of that techstep. Thanks for mentioning it.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 5:33 am

Fred, I'm sorry not to to have spoken much. You don't talk much about disability of the past and the way of healing, but there seems to be quite a story. I think there is no doubt the mind is capable of so much more if we learn how to use it. From what I read and hear psychologists are coming to that conclusion.

Mike