hi. any other hikikomori/hermits/reclusive types?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Bill Shadderkatt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2015, 10:10 am

Hi. I'm Bill. 33/m from Missouri USA. Just joined.

As it should say on my profile, I'm a confirmed (diagnosed) Aspergian. I also strongly suspect that I actually have Schizotypal Aspergers, which I don't believe is near as rare as people think. I think maybe 2-5% of Aspergians may be such.

I'm also very much a hermit. I only leave my apartment when I absolutely have to. I can easily go at least 2 weeks without doing so, but then I have to get out to pay bills, do laundry, and get groceries. I'm not a real hikikomori but I wish I could be. I can't function out in mainstream society so I see nothing wrong with being such at all. I have an internet friend that hasn't been outside in over 9 months but they wish they could. They are agoraphobic, though. I'm only a little bit like that. Anyway...hi

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 4:37 pm

Hey Bill welcome. :sunny:

Hermit with agoraphobia here. :P

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 8:12 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 8:16 pm

Bill Shadderkatt wrote:
Schizotypal Aspergers

Do you mean schizotypal PD co-morbid with Asperger's?

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 2:33 pm

I used to be hikikomori but nowadays I at least leave the house to drive around or get groceries. I have no other choice to go at daytime as the German law forbids 24/7 stores.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 2:39 pm

I go out to shop around once a month and it always makes me nervous and shaky. I feel like everyone is staring at me even though they're not. Since I began paying all my bills online, I don't have to go out to pay them anymore.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 3:41 pm

Aniihya wrote:
German law forbids 24/7 stores.

Wow. Why?

Bill Shadderkatt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2015, 9:22 pm

starkid wrote:
Bill Shadderkatt wrote:
Schizotypal Aspergers

Do you mean schizotypal PD co-morbid with Asperger's?

Look up it on Wikipedia. Schizotypal autism.

What it says there, but minus the paranoia and suicidal thoughts for the most part.

Including a few things not mentioned there, but mentioned under schizotypal -

Eccentricity, Unconventional Beliefs, heavily into paranormal, somewhat superstitious. [what is so wrong with all this, though???]

I am a firm believer in astrology and have received strong vibes from somebody literally halfway around the world before.

(I am 100% Diagnosed Aspergian, but have the Schizotypal characteristics as well.)

However, I will NOT seek a diagnosis for the schizotypal due to the stigma and the fact that the 'Medical Mafia' (as I call them) want as many as possible on medications. I neither need nor want to be on any medications! 8)

Layercake
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jun 2015, 10:38 pm

G'day Bill. I just had to look up the word hikikomori and I don't think that applies to me, but I am definitely hermit like. I avoid social situations and find it difficult to be in a conversation with more than 2 or 3 people. When I go shopping I pick the quiet times. At the shops I try not to make eye contact with anyone and wear sunglasses to help with that. Today I don't think I will have to talk to or see a single other person and that makes me so happy it is hard to describe.

I would really like to go to Asia and live in a Buddhist monastery or in a cave where you can't talk to anyone for years at a time. That way of life sounds like bliss to me.

I also believe strongly in astrology and the metaphysical. I am an economist by training and am very interested in hard science, maths etc. but I do not see these areas of interest as mutually exclusive. Rather I think they go hand in hand. I believe science and maths stem from humanity's desire to explain the occult. I've gone off on a bit of a tangent there, so I'll finish up here.

Also, welcome to Wrong Planet :)

klstoner
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jun 2015, 7:23 am

Hi Bill,

Yep, "hermit/reclusive" applies to me. Although not always in my house -- I do like my time in the woods, away from other people and the demands of social interaction. The worst thing is when someone passing me on the hiking trail stops to chat. Happened yesterday. Buzzkill. I've figured out how to interact just enough to get them to move along. The strange thing about being a female reclusive, is that the rest of the world doesn't take kindly to it. Women are apparently supposed to be open and welcoming to everyone, men, children, and other women -- in that order. Hm. It's awkward for them, when I'm not. Which is usually.

I have to go out in the world to make a living, but I'm looking for a remote job I can do. Seems a shame to waste that potentiality of the internet.

When I can, I sequester. Hikikomori is a new term to me, but the concept makes sense. I'm not sure I could go six months without leaving my house. But an extended period with no direct interaction with live human beings would be bliss. So, thanks for introducing that term to me.

And welcome.

K

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2015, 3:25 am

The longest time I have spent without leaving the house is 2 months I live with my dad who tries to get me out a lot but I just don't like it, I do try to get out at least once per week now though.