Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 3:52 pm

There's this middle-aged woman at work who had a brain operation a few years ago, and apparently I heard that since she had this operation she's been having mild Epilepsy, extreme high anxiety issues, and traits of Autism like finding it hard to mix with other people and having social awkwardness in other ways too. She only does part time work because she can't cope with full time (similar to me).

So that means she was NT before this operation. Can that happen to a person then? So she remembers life of being an NT and being able to socialize properly, and having no Epileptic seizures, and not being highly anxious, and now she's got a different mindset.

Or is it more complex than that? I don't like to ask her too much, as she might not like to talk about it to everybody.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 12:16 pm

Could be slight damage to the temporal lobe.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 12:29 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Can This Happen After A Brain Operation?
Yes. Causing damage to the brain during brain surgery is unavoidable. Your co-worker is lucky to be conscious.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:24 pm

Joe90 wrote:
There's this middle-aged woman at work who had a brain operation a few years ago, and apparently I heard that since she had this operation she's been having mild Epilepsy, extreme high anxiety issues, and traits of Autism like finding it hard to mix with other people and having social awkwardness in other ways too. She only does part time work because she can't cope with full time (similar to me).

So that means she was NT before this operation. Can that happen to a person then? So she remembers life of being an NT and being able to socialize properly, and having no Epileptic seizures, and not being highly anxious, and now she's got a different mindset.

Or is it more complex than that? I don't like to ask her too much, as she might not like to talk about it to everybody.

I know of no evidence which suggests that neurosurgery can CAUSE ASD.

To answer your concerns this woman would have to be extensive evaluated by experts.

You don't know enough about her to say if she was NT before surg. and is ASD now.

Her current Neurological status is very complex...even the experts would encounter aspects that are difficult to fully understand...even for them

Be supportive and kind and she may choose to reveal more :)