What's the point of one night stands?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

20 May 2015, 5:24 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Debase = lower value to some extent

To me, partaking in simple animalistic processes is something a civilized person should be above,

I agree. That's why I've decided to give up eating food, drinking water, and sleeping. You should too! :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 5:47 pm

alex wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Debase = lower value to some extent. To me, partaking in simple animalistic processes is something a civilized person should be above,
I agree. That's why I've decided to give up eating food, drinking water, and sleeping. You should too! :roll:
Ahh ... but have you given up the elimination of bodily waste, as well? :lol:

albmsr
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2015, 5:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
alex wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Debase = lower value to some extent. To me, partaking in simple animalistic processes is something a civilized person should be above,
Ahh ... but have you given up the elimination of bodily waste, as well? :lol:

:D :D :D

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 6:00 pm

If one can't get a relationship for whatever reason, why should she or he deprive self from the enjoyments of sex as well?

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 6:04 pm

I've never had a one night stand. Also, I got married at 21, so I've had regular access to sex for a long time.

But, I *do* get it. The point is...you get to have sex.

On Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, sex is listed with the physiological needs--like food, water, and air.

Intimacy is listed at a much higher level. While, yes, of course, I think sex with intimacy is better...I can't ignore that it's a basic human physiological need.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

albmsr
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2015, 6:10 pm

It's not so much of depriving oneself of casual sex, but it's more of "What's the fun of it, since I cannot see it?"

It looks like a case of different strokes for different folks. Interesting to see that are some people that really enjoy it as a physical experience. I thought people who liked it were doing it more because of the "thrill of picking up someone" or as a case of social conquest (ie. more for social reasons than for physical reasons).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 7:40 pm

alex wrote:

You shouldn't eat in excess, waste water, and sleep too much (which is my point). Unless of course, excess is a lifestyle you find enjoyable; it's something I don't find enjoyable, but to each their own.

Not to mention you need a basic amount of food, water, and sleep to live (comparing that to sex is a false equivalence). Sex with people you don't know/trust enough to sleep with? Nope, you can live without that (unless you think you can't, of course. I guess it wouldn't be a false equivalence then).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 8:06 pm

To add,

To each their own and all, and I don't judge people negatively because they have a different opinion/do different things to me. Of course, I have the right to not choose to partake in relations with people that I don't find compatible with me; the same with any and every thing people use to base their choices on (I don't care what people look like, for example, whereas many people do).

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 1:46 am

screen_name wrote:
I've never had a one night stand. Also, I got married at 21, so I've had regular access to sex for a long time.

On Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, sex is listed with the physiological needs--like food, water, and air.

I'm sure it was an NT that made that hierarchy. These people always think that their needs are universals. :roll:

Dillogic wrote:
Not to mention you need a basic amount of food, water, and sleep to live (comparing that to sex is a false equivalence). Sex with people you don't know/trust enough to sleep with? Nope, you can live without that (unless you think you can't, of course. I guess it wouldn't be a false equivalence then).

Exactly. Sex is not a basic need comparable to food, water and sleep. That's a ridiculous proposition.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 2:40 am

rdos wrote:
screen_name wrote:

I'm sure it was an NT that made that hierarchy. These people always think that their needs are universals. :roll:

Dillogic wrote:

Exactly. Sex is not a basic need comparable to food, water and sleep. That's a ridiculous proposition.

does not the human race NEED to reproduce to survive. and isnt' that why humans are driven to have sex with each other?
mean what if all humans stopped having sex.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:10 am

sly279 wrote:
does not the human race NEED to reproduce to survive. and isnt' that why humans are driven to have sex with each other?

And another false equivalence (just taken to the other extreme).

This thread is talking about casual sex (which won't end up in offspring when it's done in a safe way); sex in a lasting relationship can make babies enough if they're wanted.

Not liking "meaningless" physical and basic emotive sex doesn't equal "stopped having sex".

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:34 am

Does it matter if it's a need or a want.

If one can't get a relationship and all its non-sexual perks, why should he deprive himself from this particular want as well?

Should he keep waiting for an entire lifetime and when he reached age 99 he would be like 'damn, I haven't even experienced to enjoy sex'?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:38 am

I had a few one night stands back in the day. I didn't feel debased at all, it was my decision to do it and it was obvious what it was from the get go. I wasn't going to put myself into a situation where I slept with a guy I liked just in hopes it would lead to something. If I had a one night stand it was because I met a hot guy and wanted to get laid. That was the point of it. It was sex, it was fun, and while making love with your spouse or partner can be very emotionally satisfying as well as physically, there is nothing at all wrong with sex for sex's sake. It can be purely physical with somebody who you don't want to have a relationship with nor care deeply about. There isn't anything wrong with that if both parties are up for it. That's usually the point of one night stands. Purely physical sex simply because that is what you want at the time. It can be really, extremely hot you know.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 4:18 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
If one can't get a relationship and all its non-sexual perks, why should he deprive himself from this particular want as well?

Should he keep waiting for an entire lifetime and when he reached age 99 he would be like 'damn, I haven't even experienced to enjoy sex'?

Do what you want to do, and that goes for everyone.

No one needs to justify these things.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 4:02 pm

sly279 wrote:

Perhaps, but a few times per child is enough. You don't need to have regular sex for that. An additional bonus of not having regular sex other than to procreate is that you can skip contraceptives. :mrgreen:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 6:15 pm

albmsr wrote:
Hello people,

I see that in our society a lot of people are really keen on one night stands. Casual sex with someone you barely met and are unlikely to repeat the sex, or are going to have sex with them like 3 nights at most and them stop seeing them.

As an aspie male, I don't understand what's the appeal of this.

1) For me, sex with someone you are involved with emotionally is at least an order of magnitude better. By just having sex with anonymous people, without emotions, how is this different from hiring a prostitute (putting aside the upfront cost, which, in many cases, the prostitute will be cheaper)?

2) What wouldn't I want to keep seeing someone that brings me (and I bring them) good times and good pleasure? Why for a lot of people "pump and dump" is better?

Can someone shed some light?

I don't mean to bring the discussion to a "puritan" POV, but to really understand the appeal of it, since for me there's none. (Unlike a long term relationship)

Of course sex with someone you're emotionally involved with is likely to be better, but that doesn't mean that emotionless sex is somehow no fun.

I've had my share of one night stands (and probably a few other peoples' shares, too... ;) :P ) & I'm OK with it, but the thought of paying a prostitute for sex is a major turnoff. I don't equate the two at all.

How is it possible that a prostitute costs less than a condom and some lube? :? One night stands can be just sex, no dinner date or any other monetary expense. If you hadn't even considered that as a possibility... well, I'm glad to have expanded your mind ever so slightly. :lol:

Sometimes people have FWB's, other times just ONS's, others have sex in committed relationships only, and some peoples' preferences for these things evolve throughout their lives - and there's no particular order these things fall in, either. Some people are wild in their youth and monogamous mature adults, others hit middle age and have a mid-life crisis where they bang anything they can. Everyone is different. There are no right or wrong answers. Everything people do is right for them in the moment and that's it.

There ya go.. for you there's no appeal, for others there is. It's as simple as that, really.