Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 5:31 pm

DeepHour wrote:
starkid wrote:

I just finished browsing the profile of a WP user who just joined this year, yet has already amassed over six thousand posts, apparently all in the games threads. No avatar. No intro post. No self-generated user info. Bland and inscrutable username.

If you're referring to the person I think you're referring to, he or she has a very striking username, which has an interesting historical origin.

Aniihya wrote:
There is one person who joined almost a year ago and has nearly 12000 posts. I mean holy crap, it seems that WP must be his life.

Not quite..... :)

Oh there you are. :D You found me even though I didn't mention you by name.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 5:37 pm

^ No problem, not taken personally. Now must get back to my life..... :lol:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 6:14 pm

DeepHour wrote:
^ No problem, not taken personally. Now must get back to my life..... :lol:

Hahahahaha!

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 1:11 pm

I never got to have the special title on the old WP...

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2015, 9:30 pm

I don't think I'm aware of hierarchies enough to notice a difference in types of forum members. It's odd because I like to study social hierarchies academically but I don't really notice them in my own life. It's kind of a mixed blessing I suppose.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 9:56 pm

kicker wrote:
starkid wrote:
kicker wrote:
I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone. (Sincerely) The forums do enact a "point based system" that gains certain "rewards" for the number of posts acquired.

What rewards? All we get for increased post count is a change in status from Emu Egg under our usernames.

Quote:
This is further reinforced by members congratulating, replying, and holding in higher esteem those with higher ranking in post counts no matter their content.

Do you have any proof of this? It seems bizarre to me to accuse people on this sort of forum of popularity contest type behavior, especially based on something as trifling as post count.

Quote:
The fact that you have individuals who see it as a game and game the system (pun intended) especially in the gaming section seems like a natural consequence to having a post based point system.

Why do you assume that they are trying to "game" the system? Maybe they just like games and only games.

Quote:
Being critical of their efforts to achieve something that is obviously important to them and causes no real harm seems overtaxed.

Who is critical of them? Certainly not me. You are the only one on this thread who has posted anything about what they are doing that seems critical (accusing them of trying to take advantage of some perceived social status).

Answer 1: There's many different kinds of rewards.

Many? What are they?

Quote:
If a change in status name was the only reward as you claim why have threads like these been popular?

When I said "all we get" is the status name change, I meant that this is all we get from the WP website, not that the name change is literally the only possible motivating factor. I recognize that the games are fun to some people, and playing them is a reward by itself.

Quote:
14,000 seems rather high if there's no inferred reward either than a name change. Are you saying that congratulations and attention isn't a reward?

1000 posts

I don't see anything at that link but a blank page with the word "Search" at the top and some recent posts on the sidebar, probably because I have Google's scripts blocked from running in my browser.

Quote:
Answer 3: I did include "pun intended" meaning I didn't mean it literally.

"Pun intended" means that the pun in the statement was intended to be a pun; it doesn't mean that the entire statement was not reflective of your actual opinion. People use puns to state their actual opinions; I've no reason to assume that you weren't doing the same.

Quote:
Answer 4: If you didn't find something wrong with their behavior (ie being critical) why did you decide to make a thread calling it out?

Curiosity, as previously stated.

Quote:
Don't like my explaination you are free to make your own.

...after accusing Alex of defensiveness...
Quote:
Mine has been studied at length, books writing about it, etc on the social structures and how they are formed in online communities. Being an autistic forum doesn't make it immune to such structures or behaviors.

No one has said or implied that an autistic forum is exempt. Whatever studies you are citing may apply to forums in general, but it cannot be assumed that they apply to this one in particular, especially since the studies were most likely conducted on majority NT groups, the results of which cannot be uncritically applied to a majority autistic forum because autism is (partially) defined by significantly atypical social behavior.

I asked for proof that social hierarchy based on post count is at play on this forum because a statement about a matter (social behavior) that hinges on a peculiarity of this particular forum (atypical social behavior) can only be supported with evidence from this particular forum.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2015, 10:55 pm

I'm sorry you think that, because you decide to block Google it's somehow my responsibility to prove myself further.

I don't believe you and I have anything further to talk about. Think whatever you want. Have a good night.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 11:03 pm

kicker wrote:
I'm sorry you think that, because you decide to block Google it's somehow my responsibility to prove myself further.

That's your third time this thread responding to something that was never stated or implied.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2015, 11:38 pm

starkid wrote:
kicker wrote:

That's your third time this thread responding to something that was never stated or implied.

Right. You never said that you block Google's scripts from running on your browser. :roll:

SydFurry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2015, 12:00 am

To answer the original poster: Perhaps some of the members that post in the game threads are not autistic, but are either another type of neurodivergent, or are mentally ill. WP welcomes said people as well, so that could be a possibility.

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 10:49 am

Maybe because playing games is a simple form of socializing? When you are too tired for discussions or maybe you are shy or just bad at interacting with people. Or maybe you simply like games.
Not everyone has a million questions about AS or have it as a special interest. So maybe for some WP and the non AS related forums are nice because you don’t have to explain to about what you have. So it means that you can socialize easier in your own way.
It is nice to see that AS people are can be just as judgmental as the rest of the world…

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 11:22 am

Bondkatten wrote:
It is nice to see that AS people are can be just as judgmental as the rest of the world…

Also nice to see that they tend to read into things as much as other people.