Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 2:15 pm

Biblically it may not be a sin per se, but it is wrong for these basic reasons:

1. Men and women are both created in the image of God, as per Genesis chapter one, and are therefore equal.

2. Women aren't allowed to have more than one husband, as per Romans 7:3.

3. So if it is not permissible for women then it should not be permissible for men either.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 6:22 am

Further in genesis, the woman is created later, as a servant for the man
Actually, genesis 1 is one of the few places (if not the only place) in the bible where man and woman are seen as equals, the majority places the man firmly above the woman.

not to mention: most authority figures in the bible (all male) had a several wifes as well as a slew of concubines

really, the bible is a bad place to get your morals from, especially if you read all of it

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 12:09 pm

Iamaparakeet wrote:

1. Men and women are both created in the image of God, as per Genesis chapter one, and are therefore equal.

3. So if it is not permissible for women then it should not be permissible for men either.

You have some flaws in your argument, I think. As izzeme said, Genesis 1 is one of the few places women are seen as equals. Man was created in the image of God, and then the woman was made from the man, placing her second.

For points 2 & 3, because one thing is denied to one doesn't automatically mean it's denied to the other, especially when the bible makes it clear that the man is the ruler of the house.

There are debates on whether the New Testament actually discourages polygamy at all or if those specific passages were speaking of only specific people or situations. Such as some saying only priests/pastors are under obligation to have only one wife, while others say that "becoming one flesh" is a physical thing and that a man can become "one flesh" with more than one woman.
"Hermeneutically, the Greek phrase mias gunaikos andra is an unusual Greek construction, capable of being translated in multiple ways, including (but not limited to): 1) "one wife man," (prohibiting plural marriage) or 2) "a wife man" (requiring elders to be married) or 3) "first wife man" (prohibiting divorcés from ordination)."

It's pretty vague.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 12:18 pm

The Holy Writ of the Most High Reverend Lazarus Long would beg to differ.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 2:23 pm

Polygamy is wrong because if you have 2 wives you have more property than just having 1 wife

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 2:35 pm

On a practical note, polygamy is a giant headache. Someone is always jealous, bytching and complaining, trying to hog someone's attention, grouping up against one another, feeling left out, and all kinds of ridiculous interpersonal drama.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 2:46 pm

I think it's just creepy and disgusting the way women are treated. Forcing 12-year-old girls to marry middle aged men, if that isn't wrong I don't know what is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 2:54 pm

The only thing wrong with polygamy (aside from religious claims) is that if a man cannot be happy while being married to one woman, what would make him think that he could be happy being married to two women - or more?

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." -- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

alex
Developer
Developer

20 May 2015, 3:10 pm

Anyone else watch the TV show "Big Love" on HBO? The main character is a polygmaist.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 3:33 pm

I actually know someone who is a polygamist and all adults in the relationship are consenting. It doesn't work for everyone, but there are people who are quite happy in it.

For me? No, far too jealous/possessive. Anyone else would wake up in a coffin 6 feet under. ^.^

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 4:00 pm

"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other..." -- Matthew 6:24 (NIV)

Enough said?

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 4:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other..." -- Matthew 6:24 (NIV)

Enough said?

BDSM etiquette in the NT, whoda thunk it? :lol:

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

slave
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 8:03 pm

Iamaparakeet wrote:

The complexity of your analysis is spectacular! You have certainly covered every angle of this issue. I'm impressed.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 8:51 pm

alex wrote:
Anyone else watch the TV show "Big Love" on HBO? The main character is a polygmaist.

I used to watch "Sister Wives" back when I had cable. I think it was on Discover? A reality show about a guy with X number of wives (in the course of the show he even dated and married another lady on top of the several he already had).And they, he, the wives' kids, all lived in the same big house .Recently got cable back. Will have to check out "Big Love".

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 10:30 pm

I seriously don't know how one could go into polygamy. It's sounds like insanity if anything.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2015, 10:38 pm

I don't know how you can generalize about polygamy given that it manifests in different ways around the world (as with marriage in general).