Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2015, 10:38 pm

I don't know how you can generalize about polygamy given that it manifests in different ways around the world (as with marriage in general).

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 May 2015, 11:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
The only thing wrong with polygamy (aside from religious claims) is that if a man cannot be happy while being married to one woman, what would make him think that he could be happy being married to two women - or more?

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." -- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

This. Is. So. Incredibly. True.
I personally disagree with polygamy, in itself. There's absolutely no reason, or excuse, to why a man should have more than one wife. At that point, it's like, why should you even be married in the first place ? That's not what marriage is about. I would never be with someone who is into polygamy; it's just not right, in many ways.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 1:58 am

hilaryy_renee_ wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The only thing wrong with polygamy (aside from religious claims) is that if a man cannot be happy while being married to one woman, what would make him think that he could be happy being married to two women - or more?

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." -- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I personally disagree with polygamy, in itself. There's absolutely no reason, or excuse, to why a man should have more than one wife. At that point, it's like, why should you even be married in the first place ? That's not what marriage is about. I would never be with someone who is into polygamy; it's just not right, in many ways.

what about women having two husbands?
i mean in the past it was males only but now women do it too.

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 May 2015, 2:38 pm

sly279 wrote:
hilaryy_renee_ wrote:
Fnord wrote:

what about women having two husbands?
i mean in the past it was males only but now women do it too.

I believe that the same thing goes for a woman also. Neither the man nor woman should have more than one person that they are married to.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 May 2015, 7:59 am

hilaryy_renee_ wrote:
There's absolutely no reason, or excuse, to why a man should have more than one wife. At that point, it's like, why should you even be married in the first place ? That's not what marriage is about.

Although you are entitled to your own view... what if you love two people equally? If they were both OK with it, why not marry them both? They could even marry each other too, if they wanted.

You can define marriage for yourself, but not for everyone else. Homophobes tried to say marriage had to be between straight couples and society rejected them. I don't see why polyamory shouldn't also be legalised - though of course there are probably far fewer polyamorous relationships that homosexual ones.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 1:55 pm

Most people see polygamy as wrong because many polygamists often treat their significant others like dirt.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 8:54 pm

They probably also view it as wrong because of certain sects, such as those that claim to be aligned with the Latter Day Saints (Mormons), who practice polygamy by kidnapping young girls and forcing them to get married. Polygamy should only be between consenting adults with no abuse, the same as any relationship.

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2015, 9:42 pm

I'm aromantic myself, but I think I'd prefer polygamy over monogamy. Share the load, you know? When me and my ex were together, we considered trying to form a polyamorous triad.

There have been some cultures where it's normal for women to have multiple husbands (polyandry) so it's kind of annoying that people act like polygamy is synonymous with polygyny.

Fnord wrote:

Yeah, everyone knows you can't just love multiple people. While we're at it, what's up with those weirdos who have multiple kids? The only thing wrong with having multiple children is that if a parent cannot be happy while parenting one child, what would make him or her think that s/he could be happy parenting two children - or more?

Iamaparakeet wrote:
Biblically it may not be a sin per se, but it is wrong for these basic reasons:

1. Men and women are both created in the image of God, as per Genesis chapter one, and are therefore equal.

2. Women aren't allowed to have more than one husband, as per Romans 7:3.

3. So if it is not permissible for women then it should not be permissible for men either.

I think you should just throw out #2 and call it permissible for both.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2015, 11:35 pm

Pleasing imaginary beings is not a concern of mine. Still, I wouldn't attempt polygamy, nor recommend it to anyone I care about, simply because I think it's likely to end in tears. Just look how many people find a simple traditional marriage difficult to maintain; adding complexity can only multiply the difficulty.

However, given consenting adults etc. I see no reason why the law should interfere with those who wish to give polygamy a go. Multiple spouses might overcomplicate some of the contractual aspects of marriage (if a polygamist is dying, which spouse gets to make end-of-life decisions for him? Does it go to majority vote?) so it might be necessary that one be designated #1 for legal purposes. Otherwise, paraphrasing Jefferson: it makes no difference to me whether my neighbor has no wife, or ten wives; it neither blacks my eye nor picks my pocket.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 3:53 am

some folk just don't have the genes for it. I know I could never do it. I barely have enough energy for one person [moi].

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 3:57 am

I absolutely do NOT believe "sex" to be a "sin" unless:

* It's being forced against the will of the recipient
* It's being coerced from the other participant
* It's being freely given to someone who would abuse you

I also believe that The Testament of Truth contains most-all of the corrections to many of the "erroneous teachings" of the bible... also, I used to have an insanely high sex-drive, like I wanted it ALL the time (and I'm not joking about this, I really DO mean, ALL the time), such to the point where I could be "hard" for over seven hours in a row, and still want to do more (boy did that come as a surprise to me the first time my donger remained hard for so long, regardless of how hard I fapped it to try & get it to calm down, I just couldn't get my donger to "release" and "calm itself" until after I had spent over six hours worth of wanking).

Anyway, some people have higher sex-drives than others, and there are also those who choose to completely abstain, and there are those who decide to participate in group-sex. NONE of those dispositions should be regarded as wrong or sinful UNLESS being done in the manners of the three reasons that I have stated above these paragaphs. Although I will state that I do not regard homosexuality to necessarily be normal (because the bodies of humans were designed to interact in that manner between male & female as opposed to guy on guy), that is also no reason to shun or hate against those who seem to feel same-gendre attraction (something that could be potentially explained by reincarnating from the opposite-gendre of the previous-life without yet allowing the personality of the current-life gendre to become the dominant one over the previous-life-personality), but they should keep their activities to themselves, rather than advertise it in public.

Also going to add that America has this culture of a kind of a "serial-monogamy" when it comes to repeat-marriages & divorces, and that in of itself, can be considered a type of polygamy, even though it's only going through one exclusive partner at a time, rather than having simultaneous partners. Ultimately, all of these relationships are "karmic" in nature, and usually most people will encounter one or two persons within their life whom are willing to be their "true" life-long-partners. Some people break-up for a while only to end up getting together again after a while (and sometimes they repeat this several times throughout their life-time even with the very same partner). I don't really see any good reasons these days for anybody to be getting into relationships though given the state of current society.

princessarachne
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2015, 4:50 pm

that's true...

IF you believe in the bible, which I vehemently do not (atheist. That doesn't mean I don't have morality btw)

I'm polyamorous and somewhere on the aromantic spectrum, so there's a good chance that I'd be involved in a triad or smth. Personally, marriage should just be thrown out the window and the government shouldn't recognize ANY form of marriage, because it is a purely religious affair. While the country is all up in arms about all of this stupid marriage controversy, MOGAI discrimination is still really prevalent.

Maybe if we abandoned this marriage silliness we could concentrate on something important... like slavery.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 6:53 pm

The irony of "institutionalised marriage" itself being being slave-oriented. All of these slaves who do not even know that they're slaves asking for licenses from their master-god/master-state.
Speaking of slavery this thread needs a "You are all debt-slaves" video...

princessarachne wrote:
Maybe if we abandoned this marriage silliness we could concentrate on something important... like slavery.

I am also really Proud™ of my posts on this page of this thread as related to Marriage™...