Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 1:50 am

Has anyone ever wanted to self harm or end their life at some point but without being unhappy or depressed?

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

greengirl27
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2015, 12:20 pm

I self harm and would say it has little to do with being unhappy or depressed, and more to do with fear or being overwhelmed.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:39 pm

greengirl27 wrote:
I self harm and would say it has little to do with being unhappy or depressed, and more to do with fear or being overwhelmed.

Me too. One of the people from CAHMS (no idea what occupation she is) said that it's because I have no idea what else to do; that I can't communicate my feelings at all, so I do that. I agree with her. It ended up with me in hospital which sucked until they figured out I had poor communication and was not trying to avoid their questions because I was secretly suicidal. That was a scary experience to say the least.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:43 pm

As a youth I performed acts of self-injury as what was essentially vandalism. I disliked being regarded as the property of other people, and sought to damage the body they considered to be their property as protest. Obviously I was unhappy at the time but it was wrath, not depression, which motivated me.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

anemiccinema
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2015, 7:45 pm

I would say that my depression is pretty well managed in my day-to-day life. I tend to suffer less from low mood and more with the other symptoms of depression: lack of interest in subjects I enjoy, lack of motivation, low energy level, etc. However I have... anxiety attacks? Not sure what they are exactly, but they are 20-30 minute periods where my thoughts race and I feel intensely that I need to end my life, that my entire life is horrible/unbearable and will never improve. This is accompanied by uncontrollable crying, so I suppose that these specific episodes probably fit the profile of depression. But yeah, I don't necessarily feel "depressed" otherwise.

I think our understanding of mental health is still in its infancy, and that concrete fact often causes my aspie mind to feel profound hopelessness. "If there's no way to fix my problem, what is the point?" Co-morbid depression while on the autism spectrum is atypical and perhaps difficult for the individual or their doctor to pinpoint/understand.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 May 2015, 12:00 am

Yes. I went to a Catholic high-school & I cut myself before going to a retreat to carve a swastika on my shoulder that only afew people saw because I thought it'll be kewl or something.
I also thought about suicide due to OCD.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 8:32 am

The only things that have made me self-harm are strong frustration and rage.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Judas
Raven
Raven

23 May 2015, 9:17 am

I used to cut in some periods, mostly due to not being able to cope with lifes challanges. I've tried to commit suicide several times.
After my divorce and loosing my job I abused drugs and alcohol. I woke up one day having mutilated half my body, luckally I came to senses and sewed up my own wounds.
I've come to the realisation that self harming doesn't do s**t to help you out of the situation only constructive action will. Which means getting of your arse and rectifying the situation meeting the challange head on rather than fleeing from it. No easy task offcourse, I struggle with it on a daily basis, but either you overcome it or it will overcome you.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 10:49 am

Judas wrote:
I used to cut in some periods, mostly due to not being able to cope with lifes challanges. I've tried to commit suicide several times.
After my divorce and loosing my job I abused drugs and alcohol. I woke up one day having mutilated half my body, luckally I came to senses and sewed up my own wounds.
I've come to the realisation that self harming doesn't do s**t to help you out of the situation only constructive action will. Which means getting of your arse and rectifying the situation meeting the challange head on rather than fleeing from it. No easy task offcourse, I struggle with it on a daily basis, but either you overcome it or it will overcome you.

Indeed, harming yourself is rather counter productive. In Riddick, on the planet Crematoria where Riddick went to rescue Jackie, the leader of the convicts said something like "don't hurt each other. Why do the guards' work for them? We need to stand together." So, yeah, threatening to hurt yourself or, worse yet, actually doing it doesn't do anything good. Why do the devil's work to yourself, using your own hands to steal, kill, and destroy?

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 5:14 am

I mean as in being happy.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 12:52 am

greengirl27 wrote:

BINGO!! !

very well said!

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 8:31 pm

nick007 wrote:
I also thought about suicide due to OCD.

I have a similar compulsion with my OCD. I have self harmed for 3 years now and do not have clinical depression. I have been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, so I struggle to understand when my emotions get out of control (getting really sad for no reason, or being angry over something little, etc)