Difficulty finding the social drive to maintain friendships

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 4:16 pm

I find it difficult to find the social drive to keep friendships going. Socializing, while I enjoy it maybe 20-25% of the time, I find it draining as I prefer to spend the majority of my time alone. I find it particularly draining when someone wants me to contact them or talk to them everyday. I can usually only find enough energy to devote to socializing with one friend at a time and continuing one friendship at a time on an ongoing basis, but even then that is a challenge.

My friendships usually do not end in an argument, instead they usually fade away. Some longer term friendships, I may just talk to the person on occasion and pick up where we left off. Sometimes months can pass, friends go into cold storage, and I will usually only contact them on my own terms and when I want to. I am sort of aware that this is not how friendships usually work, but at the same time, I feel powerless to really change.

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2015, 3:13 pm

Yeah, I think this is a problem a lot of introverts have. I've got a few friends that I see like once every several months, but I feel like that only works because we used to go to school together and see each other every day.