Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

banjogrl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2007, 5:19 pm

I have always known that I was quirky and different and the more I read about Asperger's the more I think I have it. I also think my dad might have it. Is it hereditary?
I desperately want to interact with people but I have no idea how. Its like people speak a different language and I am at a loss. I am constantly lonely even when there is people around, but I get so nervous trying to interact with people that I stay by myself. It takes me a really long time to make friends and I often change myself so others will like me. I'm sorry if this doesnt make sense. I am experiencing so many different emotions right now and I have a really hard time getting everything out and explaining things to people. I am terrified and sort of excited at the same time to realize what might be happening with me becuase since middle school I have been trying to figure it out.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 5:23 pm

DSM-IV DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR ASPERGER'S DISORDER

A.Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

B.Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(1) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(4) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

C.The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D.There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

E.There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

F.Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

Lots of us don't fit perfectly into this, but it's a nice guideline to see where you are.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 5:26 pm

hi! welcome to WP

hard to say.. im not a doc but i suspect i have it myself...

just cruise around here... keep asking questions/reading posts... and i'm sure you'll find the answers you're lookin for one way or the other.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

27 Mar 2007, 5:53 pm

A.Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction

yep

yep

(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)

yes and no

yes

B.Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(1) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus

yes

(2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals

yes.

(3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)

yes

yes

C.The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

yep

D.There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

nope. Had had a speech delay because of my hearing loss but I probably would have had a speech delay anyway even if I didn't lose my hearing but no one will never know

E.There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

No. Was a little slow in self help skills; washed my hair late, brushed my teeth late. My mother has told me I have cognitive thinking problems. I'm not sure about adapitve behavior or about my curiousoty in my childhood.

F.Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia

Not sure. Maybe. I don't meet any other PDD criterias. Not autistic, not childhood disorder, and not Rhett's. And the PDD criteria from 1980 is obsolete because its not used anymore.

Do I have AS? Now I'm not sure. I get told I needed seven or more so I was convinced my diagnoses was correct and then I'm told no I needed to meet C D E and F but D part wouldn't count due to my hearing loss and because I don't meet E I don't have AS then and that explained to me why I aw in my doctor records I have been diagnosed as having AS even though I don't quite meet the criteria. Then last night I was told about the E part that it's up to the doc to decide rather the patient meets that or not because they all have their own definitions of what AS is and have their own views on it so it varies by doc.

I was told I meet five of it but meet up to eight when I'm stressed out but it seems like I meet almost all of it after looking at it. Either my mother is in denial or she doesn't know. I'm different around my family so I'm less PDD or aspie whatever I am. It varies in different situations.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 7:16 pm

Welcome to the WP tribe.

AS is really big. A person with OCD would have within that clssification rather a bit to deal with. OCD like issues are very common within AS - along with many other issues large and small.

AS is not yet well researched, and frequently authorative statements about us are incorrect. It has been said of us that we have no sense of humor!

And AS is large enough that it is not a light switch. A person can be really aspie or just somewhat so. Hang with us a while, share stories by the fire. You will figure it out.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 7:28 pm

likedcalico wrote:

yep

yep

yes and no

yes

yes

yes.

yes

yes

yep

nope. Had had a speech delay because of my hearing loss but I probably would have had a speech delay anyway even if I didn't lose my hearing but no one will never know

No. Was a little slow in self help skills; washed my hair late, brushed my teeth late. My mother has told me I have cognitive thinking problems. I'm not sure about adapitve behavior or about my curiousoty in my childhood.

F.Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia

Not sure. Maybe. I don't meet any other PDD criterias. Not autistic, not childhood disorder, and not Rhett's. And the PDD criteria from 1980 is obsolete because its not used anymore.

Do I have AS? Now I'm not sure. I get told I needed seven or more so I was convinced my diagnoses was correct and then I'm told no I needed to meet C D E and F but D part wouldn't count due to my hearing loss and because I don't meet E I don't have AS then and that explained to me why I aw in my doctor records I have been diagnosed as having AS even though I don't quite meet the criteria. Then last night I was told about the E part that it's up to the doc to decide rather the patient meets that or not because they all have their own definitions of what AS is and have their own views on it so it varies by doc.

I was told I meet five of it but meet up to eight when I'm stressed out but it seems like I meet almost all of it after looking at it. Either my mother is in denial or she doesn't know. I'm different around my family so I'm less PDD or aspie whatever I am. It varies in different situations.

Out of curiosity, why are you posting about yourself, when the initial poster asking for input on whether they have Aspergers?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 7:34 pm

You have AS if:

As a child, adults would ask "WHERE did you read THAT?"

You have ever been asked, "WHAT are you looking at?" while someone is talking to you, but you're totally distracted by a bird collecting twigs.

You can explain the subtle differences between at least three models of Ferraris.

You go to a funny looking website and ask if you have it.

Many, if not most, pictures of you show no smile, or a fake smile, or idiot glee.

You laughed at loud at any of the above.,

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 7:43 pm

banjogrl wrote:
I have always known that I was quirky and different and the more I read about Asperger's the more I think I have it.

Well, sorry, I don't know much about Asperger's Disorder, though I know quite a bit about Asperger's Disorder. :wink:

banjogrl wrote:
I desperately want to interact with people but I have no idea how. Its like people speak a different language and I am at a loss. I am constantly lonely even when there is people around, but I get so nervous trying to interact with people that I stay by myself. It takes me a really long time to make friends and I often change myself so others will like me.

Sounds exactly like me.
banjogrl wrote:
I'm sorry if this doesnt make sense.

Nah, you make perfect sense.
banjogrl wrote:
Is it hereditary?

Yes, it is. My grandfather had it, I'm sure, as well as my great-aunt and several of my uncles.
Scientists are not quite sure what autism is, but they know that: A) It's hereditary. B)It's not chromosomal, like Down's Syndrome. We're just wired differently.

If I were you, I would banish all doubts as to your possibly being aspie, then try not to rush to the doctor's for a diagnosis, unless you're battlling depression or something like that. The official diagnosis tends to be more of a problem than a help, and unless a piece of paper helps you feel more secure about yourself, I wouldn't search it out.

By the way, welcome to WP. :D

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

banjogrl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2007, 11:27 am

Thank you all for the kind words. I atually have been battling depression since 8th grade (I'm now a Junior in college) and I've been trying to figure out why my dpression comes and goes, sort of in cycles and this is just another theory. I'm not looking for a diagnosis, but its just nice to know that I am not crazy and other people feel the way I do!

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 12:00 pm

I hope you come to a valid conclusion soon!