Page 1 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 6:55 pm

The Bible. Myth or Reality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAEpc1zhcuo

As a Gnostic Christian I see literal reading of the Bible as a gross distortion of what the Bible was written to do. That being to inspire people to seek God and his best laws and rules. Literal readers just become idol worshipers and do not seek God the way Jesus instructed.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Literal reading has created and idol worshiping closed minded people who have settled for an immoral God whom we name as a demiurge as his morals, if literally true, are more satanic than God like.

Literal reading has also created a climate where scholars and experts, historians and archeologist, and all the academically well accepted information they uncover, --- is being ignored or called lies by those who are not academics of the various disciplines.

What is the point of producing good academics if literalists are going to ignore facts because of blind faith?

Remember please that if not a book of myths, then real talking serpents are somehow supposed to still exist and believers have to believe in a lot of supernatural phenomenon without any evidence whatsoever. Literalist Christians, it seems to me, have suspended rational judgement that has created in Christians a new Dark Age of thought and an Inquisitional attitude towards all other thinking. They no longer seek God and are true idol worshipers instead of the God seekers that Jesus wanted to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBxFXQy7-M

Do you think the Bible to be a book of myths or a book trying to show reality and history?

Regards
DL

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 7:04 pm

If you can find other evidence outside the Holy Texts that back up what happened, then, chances are, it happened but if what is in the Holy Text is the only reference events are dubious at best and this goes for any historical document. The One Shot is often disputed and taken with a grain of salt while the Many Shots are more likely to be regarded to have occurred, so long as they are not just copies of one another but separate witnesses that reach similar or same conclusions without reading one another. Those are the best sources for info. So if you can find Many Shots that record the same conclusion that aren't related to one another, there's your bingo.

This goes for everything the Bible references, including its heroes, heroines, historical figures and events. Look for evidence elsewhere that hasn't been merely copied from existing sources and it's likely the event happened. Look for multiple unrelated sources describing a historical figure, chances are they existed.

Some of The Holy Texts could be true, some of them false.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 7:28 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
If you can find other evidence outside the Holy Texts that back up what happened, then, chances are, it happened but if what is in the Holy Text is the only reference events are dubious at best and this goes for any historical document. The One Shot is often disputed and taken with a grain of salt while the Many Shots are more likely to be regarded to have occurred, so long as they are not just copies of one another but separate witnesses that reach similar or same conclusions without reading one another. Those are the best sources for info. So if you can find Many Shots that record the same conclusion that aren't related to one another, there's your bingo.

This goes for everything the Bible references, including its heroes, heroines, historical figures and events. Look for evidence elsewhere that hasn't been merely copied from existing sources and it's likely the event happened. Look for multiple unrelated sources describing a historical figure, chances are they existed.

Some of The Holy Texts could be true, some of them false.

Well put. I agree.

I do not seek truth in any text. I seek knowledge and wisdom in them.

What is truth to one may not be to another but knowledge and wisdom are universal. I think.

As a Gnostic Christian, I invite everyone to go within themselves with whatever truth they believe so as to activate their inner God.

A bit of history and then a mindset and method to do so that I promote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized to activate your higher mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human and a brethren to Jesus.

Regards
DL

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 7:41 pm

I believe strongly in the Enlightenment of The Christos which activates our abilities to heal, serve, be graceful, merciful, compassionate and kind. Gnostics in antiquity sought out such qualities in themselves and others. Many were healers. All sought their inner spark which was part of Sophia and would lead to enlightenment, liberation and salvation.

I agree, wisdom cannot be thoroughly accessed by means of written word alone. It must be inward as well, where the spark lies.

So to look within the pages of a book for wisdom and believing if a formula is strictly adhered to, wisdom will be the only outcome...I do not agree with this. Books are a manifest of The Demiurge and cannot be completely trusted at all times. They can negate the spark within and harm the spirit.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 7:49 pm

Was the Bible journalism?

Is it now literal history?

Any book that has talking snakes, the Sun standing still in the sky, dudes living to be 900 years old, virgin births, a dude residing in the belly of a whale, folks rising from the dead, and a flood that drowned mount Everest, is probably NOT even meant to be taken literally.

Was it meant to be taken as a story that contains truths rather than as a true story?

I think that that is a safe bet.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 7:53 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I believe strongly in the Enlightenment of The Christos which activates our abilities to heal, serve, be graceful, merciful, compassionate and kind. Gnostics in antiquity sought out such qualities in themselves and others. Many were healers. All sought their inner spark which was part of Sophia and would lead to enlightenment, liberation and salvation.

I agree, wisdom cannot be thoroughly accessed by means of written word alone. It must be inward as well, where the spark lies.

So to look within the pages of a book for wisdom and believing if a formula is strictly adhered to, wisdom will be the only outcome...I do not agree with this. Books are a manifest of The Demiurge and cannot be completely trusted at all times. They can negate the spark within and harm the spirit.

Well put as to the written words.

Your first sounds almost like you believe in miracles. Do you?

You use the word salvation which I seldom use. Salvation from what or who exactly?

As an aside, please give this a listen. No comment is required. I just think it was well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QI3nlinYQ

Regards
DL

Last edited by GnosticBishop on 24 May 2015, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 7:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Was the Bible journalism?

Is it now literal history?

Any book that has talking snakes, the Sun standing still in the sky, dudes living to be 900 years old, virgin births, a dude residing in the belly of a whale, folks rising from the dead, and a flood that drowned mount Everest, is probably NOT even meant to be taken literally.

Was it meant to be taken as a story that contains truths rather than as a true story?

I think that that is a safe bet.

Only those of faith will be literalists.

Faith closes the mind. It is pure idol worship.

Faith is a way to quit using, "God given" power of Reason and Logic, and cause the faithful to embrace doctrines that moral people reject.

The God of the OT says, “Come now, and let us reason together,” [Isaiah 1:18]

How can literalists reason with God when they must ignore reason and logic and discard them when turning into literalist?

Those who are literalists can only reply somewhat in the fashion that Martin Luther did.
“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”
“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

This attitude effectively kills all worthy communication that non-theists can have with theist. Faith closes the mind as it is pure idol worship.

Literalism is an evil practice that hides the true messages of myths. We cannot show our faith based friends that they are wrong through their faith colored glasses. Their faith also plugs their ears.

Regards
DL

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 7:57 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Your first sounds almost like you believe in miracles. Do you?

You use the word salvation which I seldom use. Salvation from what or who exactly?

As an aside, please give this a listen. No comment is required. I just think it was well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QI3nlinYQ

Regards
DL

Salvation is the core of Gnosticism! Early Gnostics believed the only way to obtain salvation was through Gnosis and the Divine Spark within. Upon death of the physical body, the divine spark ascends into the Pleroma away from the Demiurge.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 8:35 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:

Actually, I am a person of faith----but, I would NOT say that I'm a literalist.

The Bible was written how many thousands of years, ago? (rhetorical) What's that "thing" called, "message decay"? (rhetorical) I'm thinking because the Bible was written so many years, ago, it gives an all-new meaning to the phrase "message decay".

I have a TON of Bible-study books, because I want to learn everything I can, about what I believe----but, I DON'T think every word, is EXACT----but, I DO feel the overall message has lasted throughout the millennia. I also believe that there are several books, MISSING from the Bible. I also consider "lost-in-translation" to be a cause of our not having / getting, maybe, everything that was originally written.

So, in answer to your title question: I DO believe the Bible is reality----BUT, maybe not EXACT, or TOTAL reality.

@Ana: GOOD posts!

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 8:41 pm

I used to be a "Gnostic-Christian" before I put "Question Everything" into active-practice.
The bible is just like any other "ancient" document, FULL of half-truths and partial-truths, perhaps you could even say "incomplete" truths and yes, believe it or not, even out-right lies & fabrications.

Consider this: History repeats itself, people repeat history, history is repeated.
A time in history came when "Jesus" came into existence. Why ? One of those reasons was to correct the erroneous beliefs of the ancient Jewish-culture. A "New Testament" came into existence. Why ? Due to "changes" that had to be "updated" due to various teachings of the OT being obsolete ? Also, when Jesus taught things during his ministries, some things may be contradictary. One of those reasons is that, yes, due to growing up in a culture where "established beliefs" were already set in place and already in existence before he was even born, that he certainly would have taught some of those false-beliefs during the earlier parts of his life during his ministries, but later on he realised that those beliefs were full of bullocks, and thus he went against the "establishment" (like the Pharisees) of the day which made them hate him for "promoting blasphemy" (equivalent emotional-effect to "promoting woo-woo") against their belief-system.

Now let's say that history repeats itself again and that the New Testament had to be updated due to changes. What would the next volume be called & by whom would it be written ? I suspect that it would be called something like the Truth Testament and its author would be someone with a very Yoda-style of speech (such as from Star-Wars) perhaps even the very reincarnation of the Jesus-personality himself in the disguise of a simple man (for the purpose of "testing" humanity's ability to "humble" themselves or to see if they're of the "arrogant" type who insists that they only want to listen to kings & people of "social-status" importance).

GnosticBishop wrote:

As a Gnostic Christian I see literal reading of the Bible as a gross distortion of what the Bible was written to do. That being to inspire people to seek God and his best laws and rules. Literal readers just become idol worshipers and do not seek God the way Jesus instructed.

Literal reading has created and idol worshiping closed minded people who have settled for an immoral God whom we name as a demiurge as his morals, if literally true, are more satanic than God like.

Literal reading has also created a climate where scholars and experts, historians and archeologist, and all the academically well accepted information they uncover, --- is being ignored or called lies by those who are not academics of the various disciplines.

What is the point of producing good academics if literalists are going to ignore facts because of blind faith?

Remember please that if not a book of myths, then real talking serpents are somehow supposed to still exist and believers have to believe in a lot of supernatural phenomenon without any evidence whatsoever. Literalist Christians, it seems to me, have suspended rational judgement that has created in Christians a new Dark Age of thought and an Inquisitional attitude towards all other thinking. They no longer seek God and are true idol worshipers instead of the God seekers that Jesus wanted to see.

Do you think the Bible to be a book of myths or a book trying to show reality and history?

Regards
DL

I suspect that there can be many reasons or explanations behind the stories of talking snakes & serpents. Suppose that "advanced intellect" was trying to "fast-forward" the "intellectual-levels" of the "primitive-human" understandings of reality. The "vocabulary" is limited of course. You would probably need to use "metaphors" instead of literal-vocabulary (due to the vocabulary not yet in existence). You might call it a snake or a serpent when referring to "mind-altering" substances like drugs & alcohol & their "hallucinatory" properties. You might have to call it a "whisper" when it could be "telepathy" or simply "voices in the mind" due to said "hallucination" effects. You might have to call it an "ear" instead of a "mind" that was being "whispered" into since "psyche/mind" may not be part of the culture's vocabulary yet.

When talking about people who "will rise" from where-ever, the grave may be a metaphor for how the masses are a bunch of zombie-like asleep sheeple, who have very low processing power of intellect, and so you might use such terms as "rise" rather than "increased processing-power" of the mind, and regarding the "how to get into heaven" debacle, how can we be so certain that someone didn't just hop onto a boat, find some deserted island, decide to name it heaven, then put it into a book, and then people for generations follow said "manual" like some sort of religion ? How can we be so certain that someone wasn't under the influence of a "mind-altering" substance, did certain things during that "altered state" of "consciousness" awareness, then decided to call such experiences heaven, putting it into a book, when it could simply be a reference to returning to a certain type of "meditation" effect ?

I could tell you what I know but I would end up writing books depending on how much "catch-up" information is needed by readers.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 8:43 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

The Bible was written how many thousands of years, ago? (rhetorical) What's that "thing" called, "message decay"? (rhetorical) I'm thinking because the Bible was written so many years, ago, it gives an all-new meaning to the phrase "message decay".

I have a TON of Bible-study books, because I want to learn everything I can, about what I believe----but, I DON'T think every word, is EXACT----but, I DO feel the overall message has lasted throughout the millennia. I also believe that there are several books, MISSING from the Bible. I also consider "lost-in-translation" to be a cause of our not having / getting, maybe, everything that was originally written.

So, in answer to your title question: I DO believe the Bible is reality----BUT, maybe not EXACT, or TOTAL reality.

Thank you, Camping Cat!
You raise a good point about missing books. This is partly why I mistrust texts, too much revising for my tastes. I can't fill in the blanks. I can get the overall idea but part of it has to come from myself instead of blindly following a book that has been edited and reedited depending on the zeitgeist. For example, if there is something written in a book and I think, if I do that, this will happen and that will not be good for my life it will cause strife and difficulty then the part of me that knows wisdom steps in and I have to follow what I believe will be best for me even though it might have been good for someone that was living thousands of years ago in an entirely different culture.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 8:44 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
I used to be a "Gnostic-Christian" before I put "Question Everything" into active-practice.
The bible is just like any other "ancient" document, FULL of half-truths and partial-truths, perhaps you could even say "incomplete" truths and yes, believe it or not, even out-right lies & fabrications.

Consider this: History repeats itself, people repeat history, history is repeated.
A time in history came when "Jesus" came into existence. Why ? One of those reasons was to correct the erroneous beliefs of the ancient Jewish-culture. A "New Testament" came into existence. Why ? Due to "changes" that had to be "updated" due to various teachings of the OT being obsolete ? Also, when Jesus taught things during his ministries, some things may be contradictary. One of those reasons is that, yes, due to growing up in a culture where "established beliefs" were already set in place and already in existence before he was even born, that he certainly would have taught some of those false-beliefs during the earlier parts of his life during his ministries, but later on he realised that those beliefs were full of bullocks, and thus he went against the "establishment" (like the Pharisees) of the day which made them hate him for "promoting blasphemy" (equivalent emotional-effect to "promoting woo-woo") against their belief-system.

Now let's say that history repeats itself again and that the New Testament had to be updated due to changes. What would the next volume be called & by whom would it be written ? I suspect that it would be called something like the Truth Testament and its author would be someone with a very Yoda-style of speech (such as from Star-Wars) perhaps even the very reincarnation of the Jesus-personality himself in the disguise of a simple man (for the purpose of "testing" humanity's ability to "humble" themselves or to see if they're of the "arrogant" type who insists that they only want to listen to kings & people of "social-status" importance).
GnosticBishop wrote:

Regards
DL

I suspect that there can be many reasons or explanations behind the stories of talking snakes & serpents. Suppose that "advanced intellect" was trying to "fast-forward" the "intellectual-levels" of the "primitive-human" understandings of reality. The "vocabulary" is limited of course. You would probably need to use "metaphors" instead of literal-vocabulary (due to the vocabulary not yet in existence). You might call it a snake or a serpent when referring to "mind-altering" substances like drugs & alcohol & their "hallucinatory" properties. You might have to call it a "whisper" when it could be "telepathy" or simply "voices in the mind" due to said "hallucination" effects. You might have to call it an "ear" instead of a "mind" that was being "whispered" into since "psyche/mind" may not be part of the culture's vocabulary yet.

When talking about people who "will rise" from where-ever, the grave may be a metaphor for how the masses are a bunch of zombie-like asleep sheeple, who have very low processing power of intellect, and so you might use such terms as "rise" rather than "increased processing-power" of the mind, and regarding the "how to get into heaven" debacle, how can we be so certain that someone didn't just hop onto a boat, find some deserted island, decide to name it heaven, then put it into a book, and then people for generations follow said "manual" like some sort of religion ? How can we be so certain that someone wasn't under the influence of a "mind-altering" substance, did certain things during that "altered state" of "consciousness" awareness, then decided to call such experiences heaven, putting it into a book, when it could simply be a reference to returning to a certain type of "meditation" effect ?

I could tell you what I know but I would end up writing books depending on how much "catch-up" information is needed by readers.

Ironic thing, temporary Evangelicals are known to criticize followers of the zeitgeist when the New Testament might be considered just that.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:31 pm

I think Marcion's reaction to the difference between the character of Old and New Testament was pretty normal to a lot of people, particularly if they read the text through from front to back full ride.

I tend to think the best case made was that the Torah and other similar books were pieced together at the end of the Babylonian captivity - Cyrus the Great and Ezra often get thrown out there as the most likely suspects. What's insane about these texts though, aside from their eclectic sampling of Babylonian, Egyptian, and Zoroastrian thought, is the depth of mystic import and the degree of the gematria employed (ie. number and word-play hinting at various different 'zipped' layers). On one hand you can see there being cultural propaganda, mainly the Zoroastrian monotheistic fingerprint and the backward engineering of Israelite history, but it seems like there's too much there for it to just be a propaganda piece. If it were thrown together to be a national narrative for an Israel going back home it seems like whoever stitched all of this together had an intimate understanding of both the local mystery traditions in the region and also a good understanding, used lavishly, of how the mysteries coded their documents as the OT was extensively coded for multi-tiered reading.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:44 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think Marcion's reaction to the difference between the character of Old and New Testament was pretty normal to a lot of people, particularly if they read the text through from front to back full ride.

I tend to think the best case made was that the Torah and other similar books were pieced together at the end of the Babylonian captivity - Cyrus the Great and Ezra often get thrown out there as the most likely suspects. What's insane about these texts though, aside from their eclectic sampling of Babylonian, Egyptian, and Zoroastrian thought, is the depth of mystic import and the degree of the gematria employed (ie. number and word-play hinting at various different 'zipped' layers). On one hand you can see there being cultural propaganda, mainly the Zoroastrian monotheistic fingerprint and the backward engineering of Israelite history, but it seems like there's too much there for it to just be a propaganda piece. If it were thrown together to be a national narrative for an Israel going back home it seems like whoever stitched all of this together had an intimate understanding of both the local mystery traditions in the region and also a good understanding, used lavishly, of how the mysteries coded their documents as the OT was extensively coded for multi-tiered reading.

The Great Flood goes back to the Epic of Gilgamesh, Mesapotamia, 2100 B.C. and there's no actual proof it happened. I do know people who believe the Ark was a real boat that had one male and female of every creature existing on earth. I had a difficult time believing it as a kid in church but would get in real trouble if I ever talked about it to anyone so I kept it to myself after I mentioned it once.
The Ark is just one example of something that sounds like a half truth at best and could simply be a poem, sorta like they Odyssey of Homer.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:53 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Thank you, Camping Cat!
You raise a good point about missing books. This is partly why I mistrust texts, too much revising for my tastes. I can't fill in the blanks. I can get the overall idea but part of it has to come from myself instead of blindly following a book that has been edited and reedited depending on the zeitgeist. For example, if there is something written in a book and I think, if I do that, this will happen and that will not be good for my life it will cause strife and difficulty then the part of me that knows wisdom steps in and I have to follow what I believe will be best for me even though it might have been good for someone that was living thousands of years ago in an entirely different culture.

You're quite welcome!!

Yes, I think this thinking is very wise----what is right for one / some, doesn't mean it's right for all.

Also, one of my no. 1 philosophies, is: "If non-fiction books were all-facts, all-the-time, man would not have had to invent the phrase 'revised edition'".

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:58 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The Great Flood goes back to the Epic of Gilgamesh, Mesapotamia, 2100 B.C. and there's no actual proof it happened. I do know people who believe the Ark was a real boat that had one male and female of every creature existing on earth. I had a difficult time believing it as a kid in church but would get in real trouble if I ever talked about it to anyone so I kept it to myself after I mentioned it once.
The Ark is just one example of something that sounds like a half truth at best and could simply be a poem, sorta like they Odyssey of Homer.

Flood myths seem to abound and generally tell a story that smacks of the last big melt after an ice age. Even reading it that literally might be inappropriate.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin