Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 4:15 am

Playing devil's advocate to the dystopian view, I have the following criticisms:

1. The "change" narrative is much of the time is extremely vague and cliche, and if not people have vastly different idea of what change would entail. The point of democracy is you can't always have it all your own way.
2. Many of the ideas that people consider fundamental and genuine were once a propaganda soundbite, which has been become deeply engrained in them. The moral panic of cold war the ironically lead to police state like actions like mass surveillance. Not everyone is thinking outside the box, political tribalism is a mainstay. There are still ingrained ideas of Americanism, which come from the cold war and would be alien to your forefathers, or misrepresents them.
3. This school example is a result of moral panic, much like Garotters' Act of 1863, or false idea of delinquency and genetics at the turn of the century. You can't fight moral panic with moral panic.
4. Beware of false cloak of "stability". The whole point of democracy is it is supposed to be messy and imperfect. Democracy is more than voting, all the discourse, bust up and the scandals are part of it. This is healthier than you may think.
5. People say change will never happen, and this is my most important point: One common rhetorical position is that come election people are concerned about their immediate needs and therefore aren't interested in pushing for long term objectives like constitutional change. Personally I think this is an excuse. It is very easy to absolve yourself of your own role in politics, it is a way of painting yourself better then them. Whilst there may be some truth to that you are still connected to process, they rely on you. The types of personalities that work in politics and stay in power becuase they are effective at convincing people they can lead. If people are deceived, they are part complicit in that deception (which can mean they are also unrealistic in the first place). People need to think more long term, rather than just looking for quick fixes. Quick fixes are how they are easily exploited.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 7:00 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
The 'state' is also a reflection of the population. A some point, some citizens, decided to fear children, or fear of dealing with them for routine matters without law enforcement.

Very true that our society has made the bed we're lying in. I blame it on the protectionists and those have allowed them to have thier way.

Quote:
It is very easy to see the state as an elite, which is true but is also a product of citizens, and their attitudes.
The state is a tool and it's cops mindless robots.

Quote:
So apocalyptic views aren't going to make fear based politics less likely. On the contrary.

Fear based politic works becuase some people are neurotic, and poor decision makes.

I'm afraid the decisions have already been made for us.....