Native Americans being silenced on Facebook

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 11:31 am

It's becoming ridiculously easy to have Native American accounts on Facebook shut down for fake profiles if you don't like what they say:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.c ... use-160128

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 12:13 pm

I live in a town near the edge of northern Navajo territory, shenanigans like this are nothing new. There are some powerful Native American lobbying groups out there and if they take up this case there will most likely be changes-- "the white man's guilt runs deep like a canyon" as one of my Navajo friends jokes occasionally.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 5:00 pm

There need to be some kind appeals process, and I'm not sure why Facebook is so concerned with the fakeness of profiles, when social networking is about as fake as it gets.

People forget though that Facebook is a centralist network of a company. Users are there under terms (just like on WP), which is privilege not rights. It might be something you could bring up in a shareholder's meeting.

There is a concept of protected minorities, however you have to prove there was deliberate discrimination.

Probably twitter and other sites would be a better match anyway. Vote with your feet.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2015, 5:54 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
There need to be some kind appeals process, and I'm not sure why Facebook is so concerned with the fakeness of profiles, when social networking is about as fake as it gets.

They make their money selling data to advertisers. If that data is not reliable, they will not make money.

justanothersara
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2015, 10:42 pm

I cannot BELIEVE that this is happening!

I mean, I absolutely DO believe it's happening, but it makes me feel ALL OF THE RAGE.

People were also reporting the names of drag queens as being fake & forcing them to either quit the site or use their real name (which in many cases would either put them in danger or possibly cause them to lose their day jobs).

Meanwhile, there were tons and tons of fake profiles of me on Facebook, and Facebook would do NOTHING ABOUT IT. But you report someone who is presumably real & active for having a name that seems fake, and they take action?! Hands down the worst social networking site, IMHO. Ugh.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 10:52 pm

That's f***d up.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 5:11 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

They make their money selling data to advertisers. If that data is not reliable, they will not make money.

True, however part of that is data training. They already know that the data is not 100% reliable and that is factored into the training.

It is well know that online persona,as not the same as in person, however they have behavior online, which can be tapped into.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 5:23 pm

Israel policy.

Probably, Israel is a little US copycat...at least the early stage of America.

No wonder why it's their lifelong ally.