Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 8:03 am

Behold: Philippians 4:3

And I intreat thee also, true syzygos, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

Also supportive of women.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 8:15 am

I think It's a definite possibilty that men are afraid of women, so have to be dominant.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 9:02 am

The Apostle Paul wrote:
Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.
1) Paul, who once contended that women should remain silent in church, is asking for support for only a limited number of women, and only because they helped him in his ministry.

2) There is no mention of labor unions - those corrupt, criminal organizations with their Neanderthal, jack-booted thugs. Instead, Paul is asking for support for Clement and a few other co-workers, and (again) only because they helped him in his ministry.

3) Your thesis is invalid.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 9:03 am

Fellow laborers are members of the unions.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 9:15 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
No, unions are fellow laborers.

Fellow laborers are not necessarily unionized - ask any landscape company or construction crew in California. Most of those people are non-Union day laborers who get paid in cash, and who may or may not be in this country legally.

You don't get out much, do you?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 9:44 am

Fnord wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
No, unions are fellow laborers.

Fellow laborers are not necessarily unionized - ask any landscape company or construction crew in California. Most of those people are non-Union day laborers who get paid in cash, and who may or may not be in this country legally.

You don't get out much, do you?

Fellow Laborers is just another way of saying a Union, Fnord.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 1:27 pm

Sounds like collective bargaining to me!

What kinda pinko commie tract is that?

Oh...its the Bible. Nevermind.

But management can find scripture to cite as well I'm sure.

Christ said "slaves obey your masters".

And yet the entire book of Exodus is all about celebrating a slave uprising (lead by some guy named Moses).

And guess what...both abolitionists, and slave owners, in antebellum America would cite scripture.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Sounds like collective bargaining to me!

What kinda pinko commie tract is that?

Oh...its the Bible. Nevermind.

But management can find scripture to cite as well I'm sure.

Christ said "slaves obey your masters".

And yet the entire book of Exodus is all about celebrating a slave uprising (lead by some guy named Moses).

And guess what...both abolitionists, and slave owners, in antebellum America would cite scripture.

I don't know if Christos actually said that because the Bible simply isn't entirely reliable no matter how much they pretend it is. It simply isn't. It's a very mysterious book that people have had a chance to mess with for over a thousand years.

Christos seems to be more a rebel than the type that would tell slaves to obey masters. I am suspicious that was inserted by someone who wanted to subjugate people to rulers and controllers. A lot of the contradictions seem to appease these controller types. Doesn't mean it is actually want Christos said or wanted.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:33 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

It's really not. A union is an organized group, not just anybody else who also does the same type of work. The closest historical equivalent I think would be guilds.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:41 pm

Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

It's really not. A union is an organized group, not just anybody else who also does the same type of work. The closest historical equivalent I think would be guilds.

Biblical fact remains. The fellow labourman is supported. It's a nod to unions and guilds. The worker should be paid well and looked after. It's in the Bible!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 6:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
The Apostle Paul wrote:
Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.
1) Paul, who once contended that women should remain silent in church, is asking for support for only a limited number of women, and only because they helped him in his ministry.

2) There is no mention of labor unions - those corrupt, criminal organizations with their Neanderthal, jack-booted thugs. Instead, Paul is asking for support for Clement and a few other co-workers, and (again) only because they helped him in his ministry.

3) Your thesis is invalid.

The notion that unions are all criminal organizations run by thugs is a tired, worn out right wing talking point. The worst offender when it comes to bad unions were the Teamsters under Jimmy Hoffa, and he had actually supported the Republicans. But if it weren't for those so called "jack-booted thugs," you wouldn't have a forty hour work week, no overtime, no minimum wage - or for high wages for that matter, no benefits of any kind. Thanks to organized labor, growing up my family enjoyed a middle class lifestyle, and my mom didn't have to work. If all that is the work of jack-booted thugs, then God bless the jack-booted thugs!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 8:19 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Biblical fact remains. The fellow labourman is supported. It's a nod to unions and guilds. The worker should be paid well and looked after. It's in the Bible!

Speaking as someone from the nation's traditional steel and coal producing region, I can say without reservation that labor unions WERE a necessity back in the days when company henchmen actually used force of arms to intimidate and even kill workers.
Those days are over, though, and now it's more about greed than equality and fair treatment.
Gimmee this, gimmee that whether I'm worthy or not or we'll shut your factory down.