Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

VladimierNorton
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2015, 10:13 pm

One of the things I like to do is play Warhammer 40k. The thing is that the people that play the game play it at a specific store. One of the things I notice, and wonder is if most nerds are athiests. I am Roman Catholic, and I am a nerd. A women that helps my family is worried that because some of the people that play the game and hang out at the store are athiests, that I might change into a Athiests. Or that its a bad influence. The thing is, I do not talk about religion with them or criticize them about their choices, they don't seem to care one way or another that I am Roman Catholic. I asked two of them about religion, and was disappointed that they fell away from the Church. Now I am not saying I will bring them back, their decision is their decision. Its just, I find that constantly talking about how Jesus loves you and all the bible stuff gets boring and uninteresting after awhile (I went to Catholic middle and high school, so that might have caused some problems with the over saturation of religion). The point is, I like being with people who share the same hobbies. If they have different religions, so be it. Might as well get used to it since there are a lot of people on this planet and each person has their own beliefs.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 10:20 pm

Add to that there's many ways to take the bible and many threads sort of hidden in it that people can latch onto. I read it through, once from front to back and after that read most of the books at least twice, Paul's letters and the 12 minor prophets maybe half a dozen times.

The bible is particularly interesting because it's a bit like when you read it through - what God makes you wonder about seems to be a big indicator of where God will be sending you. It's a book that both attracts and deflects people (often times I think it's this way by design) and it can just as easily turn someone orthodox as it can turn one heterodox.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 10:27 pm

explain to your person who's worried that no atheists at your meet-up are trying to convert you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 9:13 am

VladimierNorton wrote:
One of the things I like to do is play Warhammer 40k. The thing is that the people that play the game play it at a specific store. One of the things I notice, and wonder is if most nerds are athiests. I am Roman Catholic, and I am a nerd. A women that helps my family is worried that because some of the people that play the game and hang out at the store are athiests, that I might change into a Athiests. Or that its a bad influence. The thing is, I do not talk about religion with them or criticize them about their choices, they don't seem to care one way or another that I am Roman Catholic. I asked two of them about religion, and was disappointed that they fell away from the Church. Now I am not saying I will bring them back, their decision is their decision. Its just, I find that constantly talking about how Jesus loves you and all the bible stuff gets boring and uninteresting after awhile (I went to Catholic middle and high school, so that might have caused some problems with the over saturation of religion). The point is, I like being with people who share the same hobbies. If they have different religions, so be it. Might as well get used to it since there are a lot of people on this planet and each person has their own beliefs.

You answered your own question (correctly).

In any setting (job, college, autism websites, hobby clubs) you're gonna be around folks of differing beliefs. So you (and this family friend person) have to get used to it.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 9:44 am

I hung around with a lot of Jews and Wiccans all the time. I even attended some of their religious ceremonies at holiday times. I never felt any actual desire to convert into a Jew or a Wiccan. I don't think hanging around with Atheists is going to convert you. Especially since none of them are trying to talk about religion with you, and not likely to bring religion up any time in the future.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 3:04 pm

Not a Roman Catholic but I'm a Muslim, I have friends with different faiths and that doesn't seem to have changed anything in my faith and beliefs so I don't think that they will really change you if that's what you're worried about
There is no problem in having friends from different faiths as long as you stick to your beliefs and don't get influenced by theirs