Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Chimaera1618
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2007, 6:03 pm

Anyone ever heard of someone with MPD having one personality (or more) that has AS and others that don't? I've heard of people who have different eyesight and physical ailments and such between personalities, but not of anyone with mental illnesses divided among them.

I think this may be what's going on... or maybe I'm just nuts :P

twosheds
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2007, 6:32 pm

AS isn't a mental illness! It has a neurological component which is going to be present no matter what's going on psychologically (although the way those neurological differences present themselves is going to be affected by personality, of course).

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2007, 6:42 pm

Yes, I do know someone who has DID/MPD and some personalities are almost unaffected by autism and others are profoundly affected to the point that they can barely communicate.

I can't exactly figure out how this could be.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2007, 6:44 pm

Chimaera1618 wrote:
I think this may be what's going on... or maybe I'm just nuts :P

What exactly is going on that makes you ask about MPD?

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2007, 6:52 pm

If a person is autistic, I don't see how they could have a personality that is NOT autistic. I think it would have to be the other way around - a nonautistic person assuming an autistic role.

I think true MPD - where one doesn't have any knowledge of the other personalities - is very rare.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2007, 10:15 pm

Apatura wrote:
Yes, I do know someone who has DID/MPD and some personalities are almost unaffected by autism and others are profoundly affected to the point that they can barely communicate.

I can't exactly figure out how this could be.

Autistic people often have an increase in their "autisticness" when they get stressed, are anxious, nervous, or scared. If general anxiety is a mental state that some but not all personalities have, then those who are more anxious will likely act more autistic.

Plus, even though we're autistic, our behaviors are affected by learning and so different personalities have different histories and therefore have learned different things. For instance, Social Phobia is affected by the inherent personality of the person but the development of that phobia requires an interaction with the environment.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2007, 11:45 pm

I've met someone with MPD and that was a few months ago.

Somehow mental disoders contributes to how a person can sense themselves or the enviroment and I discovered that MPD also causes variation from the norm.

Only when their personalities are taking over do they become "different" or dysfunctional.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 2:13 am

Autism varies within a single person by how well they are handling whatever stress they're under. Sometimes you can socialize; sometimes you can't... Sometimes you can talk; sometimes you can't. I guess the different personalities could be affected by autism to differing degrees mostly by how stress-tolerant they are.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com