Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2007, 10:22 pm

I am not allowed to bring food or drinks upstairs at home because I will "stash" (as my parents say) the dish ware and utensils under my bed, in drawers, in cabinets, and on my bookshelf.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2007, 10:29 pm

I have some things, such as receipts and bank statements, but my ex was far worse than I am, to the point of being a compulsive hoarder along with his mom. Not too long after we split, he and his mom were kicked out by the health department, which is something I had nothing to do with at all. I think the constant complaints from the neighbors got that agency to act, even though I'm sure my ex thinks I called them.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2007, 10:44 pm

I have several "collections"..i collect clowns, and sock monkeys and quilts, and clowns made out of socks and clowns made out of quilt rounds..and old raggedy annes and andys..(I have dozens,,mostly mis-matched)..and SOCKS...around a thousand pairs at least..and old stuffed animals and dolls and homemade toys..especially old ones..but I tend to rescue any endangered homemade toys that I find.....and um....Flakey collects books..I only have had a small collection of books that I have coveted for years.
Flakey scoops up from the thrift store any book that he is remotely interested in...childrens book, science fiction, non fiction..we have books into the thousands....and i collect fabric scraps and I have buttons into the thousands...as is the life of a monkey maker...dopey doh.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2007, 11:19 pm

Yeah, I'm a packrat. But after a while if it's something I could care less about, I sell it over-priced at a garage sale so I can get something nice in return. Speaking of which, I need to start looking for things to sell soon! It shouldn't be too hard since I've already unpacked everything I wanted from when I moved last summer and kept all the stuff I no longer need in boxes. This will be the easiest garage sale ever! :P

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 12:22 am

it is so painful for me to get rid of stuff sometimes, that when I try to root out stuff, like for garage sales, I can hardly come up with anything..I have soooooo much stuff...nut any attempts at garage sales I have always suck.
I am better at giving things away to people who are suited for them than selling stuff.
Since I live in a semi-communal envronment, I have a huge "free" box that I will spontaneously put things in and then remove if i have second thoughts.
It is generally no big deal financially, since almost everything I buy is from the thrifty store...but people could drag away truckloads, and it would make just a small dent.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Apr 2007, 5:03 am

Waste not, want not! Now I want some space!! ! :!: :!: 8O 8O 8O

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 10:41 am

I have a rather large amount of books. My parents have queried about me selling them but I don't think I could do that.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 10:49 am

I am inclined to do the exact opoposite of hoarding - I am an anti-hoader. I very much prefer to live a very uncluttered life. No nick-nacks, no shelves on the walls. No bookcases with hundreds of books.

Tyler Durden said it best: "Everything you own ends up owning you."

Last edited by markaudette on 01 Apr 2007, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 10:51 am

Just books and movies, but they are all in bookshelves and cabinets. My husband is too OCD to let that get out of hand.

Ikari_Gendo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2007, 11:47 am

The DVDs and books have filled the shelves, the coffee table, the bedroom floor, and are taking over the living room.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 12:35 pm

As a child I hoarded things like crazy... but I can manage not to TOO much these days, mostly because my husband is a hoarder supreme, and if I hoarded too, there would be nowhere to walk in the house.

One of my kids is a serious hoarder, too, but I don't think she is AS.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 12:44 pm

Apatura wrote:
As a child I hoarded things like crazy... but I can manage not to TOO much these days, mostly because my husband is a hoarder supreme, and if I hoarded too, there would be nowhere to walk in the house.

One of my kids is a serious hoarder, too, but I don't think she is AS.

She may have learned it from her parents. I have hoarded ostensibly because there was a REASON. I used to have a set of MCBA manuals. I kept them for well over a decade because they represented a lot of accounting system knowledge. I kept a set of VAX manuals because I might have used a VAX again(That is all but defunct now). I STILL have a CPM manual for some time in the future. HECK, I got a UNIX manual in the 80s, and I STILL use it! WHO KNEW that like 4 years later every major computer manufacturer would dust it off and use it on their systems, or that a kid in finland would try to emulate it, and succeed wildly(BTW That kid was linus torvalds, and the program was/is LINUX)!

SO, even if it is an AS symptom, I might have been encouraged to do the same if I was NT!

Steve

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 1:17 pm

markaudette wrote:
I am inclined to do the exact opoopsite of hoarding - I am an anti-hoader. I very much prefer to live a very uncluttered life. No nick-nacks, no shelves on the walls. No bookcases with hundreds of books.

Phew I'm not the only one. I was starting to think maybe I'm not an aspie after all. :wink:

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 1:22 pm

aylissa wrote:
markaudette wrote:
I am inclined to do the exact opoopsite of hoarding - I am an anti-hoader. I very much prefer to live a very uncluttered life. No nick-nacks, no shelves on the walls. No bookcases with hundreds of books.

Phew I'm not the only one. I was starting to think maybe I'm not an aspie after all. :wink:

Well HEY, I don't have nicknacks either, except for nisepar(sp?) my relatives in denmark gave me, and a little weather station I bought. I ALSO don't have shelves on the walls. I used to also lead a VERY uncluttered life, though my mother cured me of that when I was older!

Steve

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 1:23 pm

markaudette shakes aylissa's hand.

:D

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 4:12 pm

SteveK wrote:
I kept a set of VAX manuals because I might have used a VAX again(That is all but defunct now). I STILL have a CPM manual for some time in the future. HECK, I got a UNIX manual in the 80s, and I STILL use it!

LOL! I used to keep a set of AT&T Unix manuals for years. I don't have a CP/M manual any longer. I'm pretty sure I had Microsoft CP/M and Multiplan for the Apple IIe. :lol: