Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 1:02 am

I'm going cuz my gf wants to. Hopefully it's not lame like Homecoming. At least one thing will be good though: I rented a black pinstripe zoot suit tux for it with a hat :D .

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 3:13 am

The outfit rocks.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 4:49 pm

I didn't go with a date, I went with my best friend from another school (Who was also dateless) She didn't want to go to her prom, so we went to mine together. Our picture is of us hugging. I didn't take it as seriously as a lot of the other girls...I sewed my own dress, got my hair done for $10 at my sisters friends moms home-owned salon...my friend wore fairy wings with her dress....

But the difference with us was, we actually had *fun* About 10 minutes after we got there, we noticed no one was dancing and we got up there and were the first ones to do so...I guess seeing a girl in fairy-wings and black lipstick dancing made everyone feel a little less shy. We were like little girls playing dress up and throwing a party...and for our "after prom" dinner, we went to Denny's and got breakfast stuff. We didn't go broke, and we weren't full of disappointment over a night that didn't meet our expectations.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 4:56 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
I did not go to my prom. I didn't have a date, and I most the school bullies were going to be there, so it was better for me not to go anyway. Also, the cost of prom was outrageous at my high school, at least for the guy. Consider this cost breakdown (rounded to make the math easier).

Tickets for two: $300
Limo rental: $280
Dinner: $120
Tux rental: $150
Corsage: $25
Flowers: $25
Total: $600

So basically, I'd be paying $600 to dance in a hotel conference room, at an event where at least 25% of the people hate my guts. (My high school rented a conference room at a hotel downtown, as opposed to simply decorating the gym.)

Wow, things are expensive in your area!

My prom tickets (FOr my friend and I, so tickets for 2) cost $25...it was $15 for a single ticket.

Limo rental would be about $75-150 depending on the type of limo you got

The rest all just depends on what you get, and what you do...

Oh, and my corsage (Orchids) cost $9, a dozen roses costs $10 up here, $15 at some of the fancier places, and flower prices just about double on valentines day.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 7:01 pm

Immortal wrote:
I didn't go with a date, I went with my best friend from another school (Who was also dateless) She didn't want to go to her prom, so we went to mine together. Our picture is of us hugging. I didn't take it as seriously as a lot of the other girls...I sewed my own dress, got my hair done for $10 at my sisters friends moms home-owned salon...my friend wore fairy wings with her dress....

But the difference with us was, we actually had *fun* About 10 minutes after we got there, we noticed no one was dancing and we got up there and were the first ones to do so...I guess seeing a girl in fairy-wings and black lipstick dancing made everyone feel a little less shy. We were like little girls playing dress up and throwing a party...and for our "after prom" dinner, we went to Denny's and got breakfast stuff. We didn't go broke, and we weren't full of disappointment over a night that didn't meet our expectations.

Damn, I wish there had been people like this when I was in school. No one else had the guts to just do it for themselves at my school.

When my wife graduated HS, I was trying to convince her to take me and our mutual GF to her prom. The rules wouldn't allow it though. We just ended up skipping it. Pity, it would have really shocked some people.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 7:41 pm

Prom sucks, and all the douches at school suddenly think less of me because I said I think prom is lame when someone asked me to go.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 8:48 pm

I didn't go. I could have had a date, but it just was no big deal to me. Why pay that much for something I won't enjoy but probably hate?

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 12:06 pm

I never went to a school dance or to a prom and didn't miss anything in my opinion. I hate being in crowds, especially with people I don't like who don't like me, so why would I have wanted to go?

I was first exposed to all of that dating, school dance/prom stuff in 8th grade, my one year in public school. They had school dances and even an 8th grade prom. I thought all of that was stupid and didn't participate in any of it, nor did I have the desire to. The result was I got subjected to alot of tormenting from my fellow students.

When I went to a different school for 9th grade, I hoped I'd be rid of all that nonsense because I was in a different school, but it was only worse, and I got tormented even more because of it. Even when a couple of girls pretended they wanted to go to a school function with me when they really didn't want to and I caught on to it and refused from the get go, I still got ridiculed, which would have happened if I'd gone along with it and got stood up. I just couldn't win.

I know others who did go to their prom and couldn't figure out what the big deal about it all was. To them it was just an overpriced, overdressed, school dance, and nothing more.

Getting out of high school was the best day of my life because I no longer had to deal with all the nonsense from the students, faculty, and administration I'd spent the last several years dealing with.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 4:46 pm

Okay, here's an update. I found out that my church is holding a prom for homeschooled-only kids (it also includes me since I'm techinically homeschooled after school at school) so if I don't find a date for my school's prom, I can do the church's prom. I'm going over to Castleton (Indy's big shopping area) next Thursday to get a dress and accessories! The only place I can recall having dresses small enough for me is Sak's Fifth Avenue so hopefully they'll have some again since that was New Year's. My mom said price won't be a problem so at least that helps the situation a lot! :D I can't wait!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 4:59 pm

Prom tickets here went on sale for 60$, instead of 70. It's going to be on a boat or something and there's going to be fireworks. I'm not going. 8)

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 8:16 pm

My parents are trying to bully me into going :(. I almost feel like telling them I have AS just so they'd get off my back, but they'd just say I was lying.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 9:31 pm

Todd489 wrote:
My parents are trying to bully me into going :(. I almost feel like telling them I have AS just so they'd get off my back, but they'd just say I was lying.

Aww. That sucks, my mom was doing the same thing.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 4:18 am

my high school formals were lame.

college is cooler. much cooler. people actually go to them...of course they're the weekend right before finals, so its a good reason to go.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 1:00 am

We don't have proms at our high school here. And if we did, I'd NEVER go to it.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 1:13 am

Gamester wrote:
my high school formals were lame.

college is cooler. much cooler. people actually go to them...of course they're the weekend right before finals, so its a good reason to go.

Wow. I've been through 3 degrees (all at different schools) and to tell you the truth, I don't think that I've known a single person who went to ANY college/Uni dances. A lot of concerts though.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 3:24 pm

I got stood up at my prom.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!