Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 10:42 am

i once got so angry i tore steel out of concrete

ohelointernets
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Apr 2007, 10:49 am

I don't get angry often but small things do set me off, and when they do I don't just get mad, I get a blinding rage. This only seems to happen when I am invaded somehow...eg, some guy cutting me off in traffic just pisses me off, but during an argument if the other person won't leave me alone to calm down and insists we "talk" I feel trapped and feel furious and full of hate, and I'll say or do something hurtful, just to get them to leave because I feel like a trapped animal. Sometimes I start hyperventilating, and I almost always cry when I'm angry (which I hate, because it makes me feel weak). I still punch holes in things, although not as often as I did when I was younger (I used to break things in my room up until about the end of middle school).

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 11:49 am

ditto all

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 11:55 am

ohelointernets wrote:
...I don't just get mad, I get a blinding rage. This only seems to happen when I am invaded somehow...

me too

Quote:
...and I almost always cry when I'm angry (which I hate, because it makes me feel weak).

me too again

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 1:04 pm

I seldom express anger. Because I really don't do it very well... I usually pretty much explode. And then I get physically nauseous. Usually end up in the bathroom.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2007, 1:36 pm

maldoror wrote:
I've always had problems with anger. Get ready for a warped idea... I think it gave people a reference point to understand my personality. Maybe that's just paranoia (it very well could be, actually). I think it's harder for people to deal with a walking enigma with muted emotions spewing out all over place place than a walking enigma who will spontaneously burst out in fits of anger at their innocent little mind games. Also, I've noticed that people will sometimes see anger, or at least standoffishness, as a sign of power or confidence (which, of course, it isn't.)

That's pretty much me, too. I'm very laid-back about things that most people find annoying (traffic, waiting in line, slow service, etc.), but when I feel someone's trying to jerk me around personally, it's another story. My loud voice gets much louder and my pupils dilate, and the other person ends up backing off. Those responses of mine are automatic; they happen before I can do anything about it. I hate it when I react that way to someone who means no harm, because to them I look and sound much angrier than I actually am. But I guess it's actually for the best. I'm still pretty mindblind, and I've found through experience that I'm better off overreacting than underreacting when I'm unsure of a person's motives. Those close to me understand and don't take it too personally.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 3:30 pm

I don't do anger.

Getting outwardly angry and making yourself look like an as*hole is counter productive. You don't accomplish anything by getting visibly angry.

I appear calm and collected on the outside but like anyone else, I get angry and furious too. I just choose not to show it because anger almost never gets you anything positive.

Keeping a cool head gets you places.

Last edited by markaudette on 04 Apr 2007, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 3:45 pm

Same here. I rarely find anger to be useful, so I don't indulge in it. I have no idea why it's easy for me to avoid, but it is.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 3:48 pm

Every Aspie here should come to realize that the most precious thing you should never let anyone have is your goat.

Your goat is special. It's precious and you should never let anyone have it.

Never let anyone get your goat.

8) 8) 8)

krex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 4:38 pm

Sometimes I can remain calm about things others get angry about because I can "intellectualize" why the person is doing/saying what they are,I am detached.I have a harder time doing this with people I really like because when they hurt me,I feel betrayed and confused on top of being angry.

I use to cut myself to deal with rages that led to numbness because I couldnt express the anger.

I do get upset when someone is moving "to slow" in traffic but also know it is partly my fault for always being late and needing to hurry some where.

What really upsets me is "ideas" and sometimes the people who have them.This is expecially true with politics and the conservative right.I just get furious when I hear political double speak and out and out lies.The manipulation of "my" reality,sends me into rages.Illogic makes me see red(even though I am sure I am guilty of it as well).Laziness also sets me off on a rampage.

I seldom yell and cant stand loud noise,so I dont break things but I pace and rave,roll my eyes and growl...Not a very productive debate technique,I'm sure.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

ohelointernets
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Apr 2007, 9:04 pm

don't let anyone get your bucket either. I remember when I had a bucket...then they be stealing it (noooooooo)

markaudette wrote:
Every Aspie here should come to realize that the most precious thing you should never let anyone have is your goat.

8) 8) 8)

AC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Apr 2007, 6:49 pm

At a social function not long ago, a supervisor I had worked with for a few months asked me if I ever shout at people (presumably because she'd witnessed the calm way I deal with some very difficult people). I replied 'No, I'll start punching people before I'll shout at them".

But I do feel plenty of anger inside. I just don't express it.

I think shouting and loud verbal intimidation generally are something NTs evolved over the last few thousand years for their social world. It's no surprise to me that we don't have it, and I've always believed that it's a mistake to try to imitate them.

AC

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 6:53 pm

I've broken a few things through anger.
I never get angry around people though, only when I'm on my own

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 7:10 pm

I don't do anger well.

I tend to vanish - hang up the phone, walk out of the room, whatever it takes to get away from the situation. I internalize it but the other person can tell something's not right and no matter how hard I try to not sound angry, they sense my upset and seem to make my response be worse than it is. I don't know if that makes sense to anybody else.

I'm seeing now that this theory of mind thing is causing problems for me. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to handle people and anger differently, but at least I'm starting to understand that there are reasons it's difficult.

I have no hope of ever learning how to deal with people that are upsetting.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2007, 7:42 pm

ohelointernets wrote:
don't let anyone get your bucket either. I remember when I had a bucket...then they be stealing it (noooooooo)

As long as they didn't kick it...

markaudette wrote:

8) 8) 8)

Maybe that's why this kilt-wearing Scottish guy (in L.A., go figure) is always picking on me. He's really just after my goat. Good thing I don't have a sheep. :roll: :lol:

mariiha
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2007, 7:51 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
Maybe that's why this kilt-wearing Scottish guy (in L.A., go figure) is always picking on me. He's really just after my goat. Good thing I don't have a sheep. :roll: :lol:

keep very close guard of him...he just might be a goat in disguise wearing a kilt pretending to be a Scottish guy :lol: