Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 8:08 pm

Does anybody else talk to themselves out loud? I do it all the time, sometimes without even noticing. I seem to have better conversations when there's nobody else in the room. Maybe it's just a way of dealing with everything that's going on in my head, but it's quite worrying, I don't want to start talking to myself in public and not realise... :?
Is this an AS thing or just me?

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

08 Apr 2007, 8:19 pm

I'm new to AS issues but have done a lot of reading in the lead up to my son's recent diagnosis with Asperger's.

I read a book by Liane (Halliday?) - sorry, can't remember her last name for sure, definantly know her first name. It was called 'Redefining Normal' or something along those lines. She'd also written a book about growing up called 'Pretending to be Normal'.

She is an Aspie with an Aspie daughter, almost Aspie daughter and another NT child.

She reports in her book that she talks to herself out loud in public and this is an Aspie trait.

My 7 year old talks outloud at times. It becomes worse when he is stressed. His teacher says when he is very stressed he talks outloud while doing school work but he is unaware of it. When she asks him about it he denies he was talking at all.

Smelena

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 8:21 pm

Sometimes I wish I did that, but what would I talk about?

sunnycat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 8:24 pm

I do...and I talk to my cats as well...

mariiha
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2007, 8:25 pm

don't know if it is asperger oriented but i do talk to myself out loud while walking my dog late night when it is nice and dark. i have come up with a lot of interesting concepts/philosophical ideas/humorous jokes stuff like that. If anyone notices i can make it appear i am talking to my dog...he doesn't mind, he's use to it :P . maybe we really are our own best friend.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 8:25 pm

Smelena wrote:
She reports in her book that she talks to herself out loud in public and this is an Aspie trait.

My 7 year old talks outloud at times. It becomes worse when he is stressed. His teacher says when he is very stressed he talks outloud while doing school work but he is unaware of it. When she asks him about it he denies he was talking at all.

Smelena

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with Aspergers or not
I usually just talk about nonsense, or something I'm interested in. Which is probably a good thing because I doubt anybody else is interested :lol:

HolidayonIce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2007, 8:38 pm

I think talking aloud is a way of establishing and maintaining focus by engaging speech and hearing, getting thoughts out of the mind and into the external world. Coworkers notice that I say "OK" when ending one task and getting started on another.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 8:46 pm

I talk to my cats, too.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 8:48 pm

So do I, I love my cat.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 9:12 pm

Yeah, it's an aspie trait. It isn't bad as long as you realize you are doing it YOURSELF. 8-) But HEY, these days a LOT of people appear to talk to themselves!

Steve

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 9:55 pm

yep...talk to self all the time...often without even realising it...helps mantain train of thought...at grovery store or when working on projects...mostly thinking aloud...is what it is.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 11:15 pm

All the time, moreso since understanding myself and allowing me to be me. It is aspie.

We will lose our trademark with all these bluetooth people around!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Grimbling
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2007, 11:30 pm

I talk aloud to myself a little bit: mostly "right, that's done!" and "where's my teacup?" type stuff.

When I've got a particularly strong train of fantasy thought going on - like writing new episodes of my favourite TV shows in my head, which I do SO often - I'll sometimes act out a gesture or say (usually just mumble) line of one of the characters'. I didn't notice I did it til my brief experience in shared living, when my flatmate pointed out my lips moving! :oops:

Chimaera1618
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2007, 11:36 pm

I talk to myself CONSTANTLY!

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 11:38 pm

Funny, I was just going to ask this question myself. :)

Not all the time, but when I'm thinking.. stressed... or alone. Sometimes I daydream aloud.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 2:11 am

I do that sometimes, when I am exciting for something like "that's it!" I knew it! What the hell?" and I am all alone.