will your AS/HFA child go on escalators?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Will your AS/HFA child go on escalators?
Yes. 81%  81%  [ 21 ]
No. 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 26

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2007, 1:50 pm

I love escelators! I go to Macy's every time I'm at the mall, and I've never bought anything there once! haha :P

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 10:49 pm

I wouldn't...I still do anything to avoid having to use them as an adult.

I can never get rid of that moving sensation in my brain after riding them....although I've long conquered my fear that I'll get sucked into the floor at the end thankfully. :lol:

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2007, 11:17 pm

I'm afraid of escalators. I just hate going down to a subway station with a escalator in the length of four floors. My youngest also hates it. He always checks that the emergency switches is there so you can stop the escalator if you'd get stucked with your pants or something (very unlikely but you never know)

Eyphur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2007, 1:10 pm

I've allways liked escaladors. I would happily ride up and down all day. Elevators on the other hand can get stuck and you'd be trapped until it broke free and fell to the basement. :(

RhondaR
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2007, 12:36 pm

Heck - *I* have trouble getting on and off the escalators at times.... LOL

Seriously though, my son doesn't seem to mind them. At least, I've never noticed! I know that perception can be a problem with some aspies though, so it does make sense that some have trouble with escalators. :)

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 3:37 pm

I actually like going on escalators so I don't have a problem with them.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Apr 2007, 3:40 pm

i liked them. i just didnt like how they ended so abruptly. someone always had to pick me up and take me off or id jump off haha

Jessrn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2007, 8:13 pm

My son loves them. He thinks they are fun.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 8:17 pm

Escalators made me nervous when I was a kid, but I didn't refuse to use them. My parents' wrath was scarier than the escalator every time.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 10:19 pm

When I was little, there was one type of staircase that I absolutely hated. It was the kind where there were gaps between the steps, mainly found in old basements but not always. Anyway, I remember thinking when I was, like, four that I'd fall between the steps and really get hurt. I'm way past that now, but I can still see why I hated those steps, being so little and all. Did anybody else have that problem?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 9:49 am

I didn't mind them, but I didn't like the thought of getting my shoe caught and falling on my face.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 10:22 am

I was never afraid of them as a kid, but I've always had trouble physically getting on and off them.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 9:54 pm

In The Perfect Mile by Neal Bascomb, a humorous incident was related where Roger Bannister and his friend Norris McWhirter ran up the down escalator. Roger Bannister wanted to do something fun as a break from his training.

I can insert Roger Bannister into just about everything!

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2007, 1:03 am

My son doesn't seem to mind escalators, and I don't either. Elevators make me nervous when they are at full capacity--I am claustrophobic and I panic when I am in a tight confined space with lots of people.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 6:55 am

I go on escelators but reluctantly.

I am scared sh((((s of them tbph and they are so noisy. They move to fast and i struggle to get of them and fall over regularly when getting of them :(

mrsry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2007, 4:54 pm

Escalators are awful! Anyone who is with me when I get on one has to be prepared to wait a bit to get on, because I can't just step onto one. It takes me a while to figure out where one section ends and where the next begins, and I'm terrified of not stepping all the way on one step and falling. I have a tough time with stairs due to my lack of depth perception (can't tell where one stair ends and the next one begins, and how far down it is), so stairs that move are even worse.

There is also a long escalator at the Showboat/House of Blues in Atlantic City, and when I was going to a concert there and saw the escalator, I knew there would be trouble.