will your AS/HFA child go on escalators?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Will your AS/HFA child go on escalators?
Yes. 81%  81%  [ 21 ]
No. 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 26

mrsry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2007, 4:54 pm

Escalators are awful! Anyone who is with me when I get on one has to be prepared to wait a bit to get on, because I can't just step onto one. It takes me a while to figure out where one section ends and where the next begins, and I'm terrified of not stepping all the way on one step and falling. I have a tough time with stairs due to my lack of depth perception (can't tell where one stair ends and the next one begins, and how far down it is), so stairs that move are even worse.

There is also a long escalator at the Showboat/House of Blues in Atlantic City, and when I was going to a concert there and saw the escalator, I knew there would be trouble.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 6:21 pm

when I was little I loved them-they were the best part of the mall-I got mad if malls didn't have them :lol:

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2007, 9:46 am

Yes, he will and it's scary to me b/c I have to keep him from climbing all over it as it goes up and down. I even had to grab him once as he started going up the up escalator by hanging onto it from the OUTSIDE!

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 10:07 am

mrsry wrote:
Escalators are awful! Anyone who is with me when I get on one has to be prepared to wait a bit to get on, because I can't just step onto one. It takes me a while to figure out where one section ends and where the next begins, and I'm terrified of not stepping all the way on one step and falling. I have a tough time with stairs due to my lack of depth perception (can't tell where one stair ends and the next one begins, and how far down it is), so stairs that move are even worse.

There is also a long escalator at the Showboat/House of Blues in Atlantic City, and when I was going to a concert there and saw the escalator, I knew there would be trouble.

Why do you have no depth perception if you don't mind my asking? I also don't, although I don't think I have the same problems caused by not having it. Mine was caused by strabismus exotropia, eyes turn out.

I am usually fine on stairs, although sometimes I missjudge how many stairs there are, and then take an extra step at the bottom, or just "fall off" the last couple because I don't think there are any stairs left! :lol: Kind of embarassing when it happens in public

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2007, 9:56 am

by creating what we call escalator protocol.

o check to make your shoes are tied - so they don't get caught

o step onto the bottom step - so you have the same target each time

o stay to the right - so people in a hurry can get by

o shoes are 8 inches from wall - so they don't get caught

o hold on with the right hand - so you don't fall (this is hard for small kids)

o eyes ahead - to watch for problems.

o when you are 1 step from the end, hop off - because it is fun.

My kids follow these rules to this day, and it meets the aspy need for making the situation predictable, and therefore tolerable.

Your milage may very :)

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:44 am

I do remember avoiding them for years in my teens before I decided I needed to get used to them again. I seriously had trouble getting onto the moving steps... Been a long time.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.