Most of the time 42%  42%  [ 24 ]
Rarely 40%  40%  [ 23 ]
Never, I've learned to deal with offense 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 57

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 9:20 am

I was bullied cause, when I was a small kid I was not very bulky muscle wise so, often name calling become somewhat prominent in such times as once I remember having someone even destroy personal attire of mine simply as a joke but, having your underwear torn to shreds is no joking manner.
Well, these days, I've learned to deal with such tyrants now and I no longer let someone go torment me... :twisted:

ProfessorX

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 10:12 am

It's interesting to see how many adults used to get bullied but don't get bullied anymore. I would like to find out what stopped the bullying because I was worried for future jobs whether I would still get bullied. Thanks to everyone for telling me their experiences of bullying. There are still 25 days left of the poll though so please continue posting.

Oh, and well done to ProfessorX for posting the same post twice

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 10:52 am

I'd guess it's just not tolerated in adult society-at least not to the same extent (I have the horrible feeling it may go on in some jobs, or at some companies). I think people generally try to be polite.

A lot of what's termed as "bullying" and just ignored by schools is really criminal behavior. Stuff that would be a felony land people in jail if an adult was doing it. But for some reason, it's just accepted when kids and teenagers do it-which I think is just sick. Schools should have a ZERO tolerance policy on bullying, and not expect the kids getting bullied to somehow deal with it, or tell them to "just ignore it".

Tony Attwood says something to the effect that "just ignoring" bullying is *NOT* an acceptable strategy or policy. The adults in charge HAVE to deal with it, and HAVE to instruct other kids to get involved in reporting it whenever they see it.

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2007, 12:22 pm

i agree wolf and school can do a lot to prevent this kinda behavior but bullying will allways be ther at least to a sertan degree

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 2:26 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
I'd guess it's just not tolerated in adult society-at least not to the same extent (I have the horrible feeling it may go on in some jobs, or at some companies). I think people generally try to be polite.

A lot of what's termed as "bullying" and just ignored by schools is really criminal behavior. Stuff that would be a felony land people in jail if an adult was doing it. But for some reason, it's just accepted when kids and teenagers do it-which I think is just sick. Schools should have a ZERO tolerance policy on bullying, and not expect the kids getting bullied to somehow deal with it, or tell them to "just ignore it".

Tony Attwood says something to the effect that "just ignoring" bullying is *NOT* an acceptable strategy or policy. The adults in charge HAVE to deal with it, and HAVE to instruct other kids to get involved in reporting it whenever they see it.

Although ignoring helps me to block it out, it is not good enough and I personally believ that all bullies should be banished to an isolated island.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 2:34 pm

TheAPERSON - I had a somewhat different childhood. When I entered school I didn't know anyone, so I saw my brother and the sorts of people he was with - the wrong kinds of pople (ie. those who misbehaved and did stupid things). Then I started to pick some of these things up. I did things over the years like sticking middle fingers up (a form of swearing) or shouting out. But I didn't know I was doing anything wrong - I thought that I was being normal. This is because at my school there was nobody properly like me (has AS) and I was therefore not encouraged to mingle with a certain group of people. It seems that if I had a proper good friend (like you, who I can also relate to), then my whole of Key Stage 1 and 2 life would be very different.

My attitude only just pivoted to the person who I actually am in Year 8, when I grew out of the immature behaviour. I somehow wish that my life was better in primary school, and because there was nobody with AS there I now get the impression that that school is not very ASD friendly.

I wish my primary school life was more like most people on here...because I feel that I was impure and not being myself.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 2:38 pm

Kids at school used to take advantage of me for their own entertainment. One time this girl who was supposed to be my friend, stole my backpack and made me follow her around trying to get it back. I started crying and she just laughed. I tried to hit her and force it out of her hands, but I wasn't strong enough and she just laughed at me more. When I was in junior high, these boys used to always ask me if I ever showed any expression at all. I would say "no" in a monotone and with no expression. They just laughed at me.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 12:28 am

I remember I was being bullied in kindergarten by just a couple of kids, then being bullied more frequently on following years until highschool. I hated the sports class, the teacher was not nice, look at me really bad like I was not man enough. Last year of highschool I was not bullied, I think I was some how respected for being the best in class but they didn't talk to me, for envy I think, for most of higschool I only had a couple of friends who were outcasts.

In college I got teased and bullied again, and I didn't like to socialize I hate having to do team work, I dropped out.

At work I was bullied (verbally in this case) by peers sometimes, I felt bad I was less motivated, didn't perform well, I got fired. I quit my last job because the boss used to teased me and make fun of me.

These things give me a bad physical reaction lately, when someone makes fun of me, my heart bits harder and I start to shake, they saw that and just laughed more to see that reaction. I now realized I was in the wrong place, this people were Total Ignorants, as I now now not all work places are like that.

Because of all of that, now I have social anxiety, I don't want to meet people, I prefer to be at home all the time instead of going out, but now I have to find a job, and I am scared of people.

xboxboy247
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2007, 10:49 pm

I was made fun of openly during grades K-2.
I was mocked openly between grades 3-8.
I am now mocked both openly and discreetly.

I can't stand it.

Like discussing Film and Writing?
Go here! http://fwc.eamped.com/

Save The Internet! It's not going to save itself!
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Belinda
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2007, 1:26 am

Cheerlessleader wrote:
You probably all know that I was picked on... :cry: :cry: :cry:
It was mostly verbal, though people often threw things at me. They constantly played mind games with me, treated me as if I have friggin down syndrome, then they played the innocent victim around teachers (who were dumb enough to think that I'd make up stuff like that to get into trouble).
I would give anything to go back there and give those little f**** exactly what they deserve :evil: :evil: :evil:

I could've written that.

Some of the boys in my year level about 6 years ago even threw rocks at me, which hit me in the head and made me bleed. Surprisingly little was done about that.