Most of the time 42%  42%  [ 24 ]
Rarely 40%  40%  [ 23 ]
Never, I've learned to deal with offense 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 57

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 11:19 pm

In elementary and the first year of middle school I was bullied constantly, but it pretty much died down when my family moved. In high school I had a lot of friends who were band and debate geeks, so there wasn't much teasing going on. As an adult, people are more accepting of those who are different, and harassment of any kind isn't tolerated in the workplace.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 11:32 pm

I was bullied throughout my school years really. I always had a few defenders, but for the most part, people considered me weird and rude, and in some cases, nasty...because I spoke my mind, I farted in class and this was a private girls school :lol: I also climbed trees until I was 15. Some liked me because I was different, especially some of the younger and older kid, but my own age group kept a distance and did rather cruel things like block the seat next to them in classes.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 5:20 am

School was basically a daily routine of being bullied for me. I did get teased by some first-years in my second year at university, for the same reasons I got bullied at school (since I had hydrocephalus - water on the brain - at birth, my skull is a little larger than your average person's skull. Not by much, mind you, but it's definitely bigger - which apparently made me an easy target), but that's the last time I can recall ever being made fun of on a daily basis.

Although I do occasionally feel like I'm seen as little more than a court jester at work, which is never a fun sensation...

One of my best memories from school (other than the times when I was with my small circle of close friends, that is) was when I finally managed to get one of my school bullies to leave me alone. He was walking past me when my class was waiting for a physics lesson, and simply turned and shoved me into a pile of bags for no reason at all. I saw the stereotypical "red haze" then, leapt up to my feet, charged after him, and jumped onto his back, wrapping my arms around his throat and screaming incoherently.

Oddly enough, he never bothered me again. We even had a civil conversation when we crossed paths at university one time...

Kellaway225
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2007, 5:29 am

im kinda ashamed to say this but.....nope i was a bully.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 8:18 am

You probably all know that I was picked on... :cry: :cry: :cry:
It was mostly verbal, though people often threw things at me. They constantly played mind games with me, treated me as if I have friggin down syndrome, then they played the innocent victim around teachers (who were dumb enough to think that I'd make up stuff like that to get into trouble).
I would give anything to go back there and give those little f***s exactly what they deserve :evil: :evil: :evil:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 8:49 am

Yes. That’s who they were, and that’s how they dealt with me; they knew no different. I had to leave during senior…. I had to gain composure and understanding with self-induced solitude; I read a lot, I observed a lot and I wanted to cry a lot but the tears never fell; I wanted to kill a lot. My hate was indefinable. Receiving nothing but pure hate, pure loathing without provocation; looking away and not talking isn’t what I’d define provocation: I left hardened…. I entered with delusional innocence that I wish I still had (hey, I do wish for something after all).

I trust no one, I doubt I’ll ever befriend anyone; even the heavenly people who didn’t partake in said abuse never said a word in my defence.

Not a soul.

I’m still full of hate, but I can now define it and ultimately place it where it belongs: nowhere.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 8:59 am

I don't really trust people either, at least in terms of being a friend. Like I think I'm scared to even consider someone a friend, thinking they'll just disappoint me, or are just "tricking" me. I've probably taken that to an extreme that I shouldn't have.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 11:21 am

Quote:
This girl at my school used to talk in a stupid voice whenever she was around me. She was making fun of my soft voice and my accent, which is a cross between a British accent and an American accent. I also used to get teased for walking on my toes which made my butt stick out.

hooray! annudder toe-walker!
I also have gotten teased because of my voice...which has always been sorta odd...

I was tortured by the other kids for toe-walking..i don't even know what the big deal was...they could not get over it for some reason.

I WAS the official bottom of the pecking order...especially in elementary school...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 11:51 am

I haven't gotten picked on, since I've reinvented myself, back in February. 8)

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 1:05 pm

I did get made fun of and humiliated a lot in Years 7-9 at school. (It rarely happens now, but whoever does now is just an idiot) Although I blended in a bit more in Year 7 and had this two-faced friend (who wasn't very birght or well-behaved), he was horrible to me in front of his peers and some other people taunted me.

In Year 8, I had no friends and I was very depressed. People made fun of the things I said, loudmouths came up with comments about me, and I was rejected in group activities. Someone also took my rubber and I started arguing with them, claiming that it was mine, but they kept arguing that it was theirs! I still can't understand this. I think it was because I have AS and said things that I didn't know would sound offensive (Such as "You might find it too difficult").

In Year 9 this continued but it got to a point where I just learnt to ignore it (Thank you for the advice Sophist! ;)) and then they treated me like everyone else. It just goes to show that the best thing to do is: Just ignore it (Although I understand that this can't easily be done with physical bullying).

I still get it a bit now, but only about 2-5% of what it was in Year 8 (I am now in Year 10 at school), as there is one girl in some of my classes who has antagonised me (she's okay a lot of the time though, it's the one mentioned in "Girl Who I shall not name, part II") and someone in my Engineering class who sometimes annoys me (But he's the sort of person who will get about 0 GCSEs).

I just learn to ignore it and pretend to be deaf. As much as people may annoy you in school, at least you can guarantee that when you leave school that you can forget about them. After all, there's no point in crying over spilt milk.

I am one of those who has been lucky enough not to have been physically bullied, though. It would be interesting to see what your experiences are, TheAPERSON.

Beammeup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2007, 6:11 pm

Couldn't answer the Poll..... Need a set of questions for older members as well as younger members. (those in Limbo, Pope joke).

Bullying doesn’t happen to me much anymore. If it does I’ll bully back in a polite way, sort of, or ignore it. (except what I allow my kids to do, gives them freedom to express. They pick-on me a lot!).

When I was their age I got bullied a lot... They complain too about it. Mostly in a context like:

When are those "F**ker's going to mature, grow up!" (I'm working on teaching them better vocabulary and language skills, but the Playground is a great teacher.).

Another Poll?

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 6:51 pm

Beammeup wrote:
Couldn't answer the Poll..... Need a set of questions for older members as well as younger members. (those in Limbo, Pope joke).

Bullying doesn’t happen to me much anymore. If it does I’ll bully back in a polite way, sort of, or ignore it. (except what I allow my kids to do, gives them freedom to express. They pick-on me a lot!).

When I was their age I got bullied a lot... They complain too about it. Mostly in a context like:

When are those "F**ker's going to mature, grow up!" (I'm working on teaching them better vocabulary and language skills, but the Playground is a great teacher.).

Another Poll?

Yeah, we need another poll, or else clarification on this one for adults...except maybe some adults are being bullied too, which would really stink.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 7:05 pm

yep i was bullied and outcasted... though i always thought it was cause i was an ugly nerd... and just ugly when even the nerds turned their backs on me... i went through elementary-highschool with the exact same class of 30-ish students who all hated me... i was lonely for the most part... though the bullying predoinantly happened prior to highschool.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Beammeup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2007, 7:41 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
Beammeup wrote:

"When are those F**ker's going to mature, grow up!" (I'm working on teaching them better vocabulary and language skills, but the Playground is a great teacher.).

Another Poll?

Yeah, we need another poll, or else clarification on this one for adults...except maybe some adults are being bullied too, which would really stink.

Well, I have been bullied as an adult at the school administrator's office regarding my kids. Perhaps not bullying -- more like encountering a wall......... of misunderstanding. Large cliff - figuratively speaking. (Like I don't understand my kids, Phittt!)

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 11:06 am

Wolfpup wrote:
Beammeup wrote:

Another Poll?

Okay, I'll clarify this poll: Answer from experience of being bullied in school. I didn't realise how many adults would reply to this poll. Maybe I should have put this on a different part of the forum.

deep-techno wrote:
I am one of those who has been lucky enough not to have been physically bullied, though. It would be interesting to see what your experiences are, TheAPERSON.

I have been bullied quite a lot in the past, partly because in primary school I would just wonder around a small area by myself (which would attract the attention of bullies) and also people would pick on me during secondary school. Telling them that I had AS didn't help, it only made it worse. Now I'm in year 11, the biggest bullies in the school have all left, meaning I don't get bullied, teased or abused anymore because I've learned to deal wirh it. Maybe I should vote in my own poll!

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 1:20 pm

Great! Thanks! Well, I voted "most of the time" for back in school. It wasn't always at the same level, but most days there's at least be some tension there.