Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SocialParadox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2007, 6:10 am

The doctor told me to take plaxil for 6 months but i'm a bit scared. I'm 27 and i've never been on meds. Any advice or warning ? Thanks in advance

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 6:24 am

I don't know anything about Plaxil specifically, but I've been taking Prozac for social anxiety for a few weeks now. The first week I had migraine and no appetite but since then I've felt fine.
Do you trust your GP? Some doctors are useless. But from what my GP said I was happy to try SSRIs because nothing else seemed to be working. Is there anything in particular you're worrying about? If you discuss any concerns you have with your GP as well he should explain properly what to expect. Mine seem to be working fine so far, but I have only been on them a few weeks though so I don't know yet.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

24 Apr 2007, 6:32 am

Paxil has a short half and will have sexual side effects in males. Prozac has a very long
half life. Lowwest sexual side effects of any SSRI in males. Its considered a stimulating
SSRI. Where as Paxil is slightly sedating. Needless to say unless your trying to treat
premature ejaculation with Paxil I recommend prozac as the first SSRI for a male to try.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 6:33 am

Hi,

I think you're right to be cautious - I became very ill when I took venlafaxine.

However, I am now also on Prozac and I am very pleased with the results.

The best thing to do is LOADS of research on the medication your doctor has suggested - that way, you can be aware of potential side effects and how long they should last, and what is 'reasonable' to put up with from medication and what is 'unreasonable' and a sign that the medication is not right for you. Try to find 'reputable' websites that list sources or are written by medical professionals (who actually do exist - some of them are made up), because obviously not all websites can be trusted...

http://www.crazymeds.org
is a good website to start with. It is written by people who have some knowledge of taking these medications and it is a good combination of factual but also light-hearted (so not too scary sounding, or full of terminology).

Good luck.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 Apr 2007, 8:30 am

dont take paxil dude unless you want sexual side affects, ask for wellbutrin. or wellbutrin sr ive never taken it but they say it gives you a buzz and has low sexual side affects

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 8:39 am

richardbenson wrote:
don't take paxil dude unless you want sexual side affects, ask for wellbutrin. or wellbutrin sr ive never taken it but they say it gives you a buzz and has low sexual side affects

Yeah wellbutrin even has pro-sexual effects in many people. I used it but feel its anti-depressant effect was low compared to SSRI's. But individuals results vary alot.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 8:45 am

They put me on Prozac 15 years ago, and it actually just conked me out. I slept all the time and got depressed (or more depressed).

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 9:23 am

I am very, VERY familiar with Paxil.

GlaxoSmithKline, the company that produces the drug, lied and continues to lie about its effects. It is a heavily addictive substance and it's extremely unpleasant and dangerous to stop taking. I strongly recommend choosing a different SSRI. See www.paxilprogress.org for more information.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 9:40 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
Paxil has a short half and will have sexual side effects in males. Prozac has a very long
half life. Lowwest sexual side effects of any SSRI in males. Its considered a stimulating
SSRI. Where as Paxil is slightly sedating. Needless to say unless your trying to treat
premature ejaculation with Paxil I recommend prozac as the first SSRI for a male to try.

Are you sure Prozac has low sexual side effects. I've pretty much heard it is known for that.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 9:44 am

Esperanza wrote:
I am very, VERY familiar with Paxil.

GlaxoSmithKline, the company that produces the drug, lied and continues to lie about its effects. It is a heavily addictive substance and it's extremely unpleasant and dangerous to stop taking. I strongly recommend choosing a different SSRI. See www.paxilprogress.org for more information.

Thanks for that info! If I ever try out medicines again I'll have to check here first. Especially since the last time I tried, everything either didn't work at all, or had the exact opposite effect it was supposed to.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 9:55 am

0_equals_true wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
half life. Lowest sexual side effects of any SSRI in males. Its considered a stimulating

Are you sure Prozac has low sexual side effects. I've pretty much heard it is known for that.

All SSRI's and most anti-depressants will have negative sexual side effects in some of their users . In the case of SSRI's thats usually delayed orgasm and reduced sex drive. Though some(reboxetine) have even nastier side effects like erectile dysfunction and painfull ejaculation.

Of the SSRI's prozac seems to have the lowest sexual side effects in men. I have taken:
zoloft, paxil, and prozac and my own use confirms the conventional wisdom that prozac has the lowest sexual side effects in men. Which typically mean it does not delay orgasm . Men tend to be highly primed for sex so the other common SSRI side effect: reduction in sex drive is not usually a problem as it can be for some women.
Because a reduction in some women's sex drive equals zero sex drive.

Also the side effect of delayed orgasm is some time helpfull with men who have premature ejaculation problems. So zoloft or paxil are more suited to those conditions.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 10:12 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
half life. Lowest sexual side effects of any SSRI in males. Its considered a stimulating

All SSRI's and most anti-depressants will have negative sexual side effects in some of their users . In the case of SSRI's thats usually delayed orgasm and reduced sex drive. Though some(reboxetine) have even nastier side effects like erectile dysfunction and painfull ejaculation.

Of the SSRI's prozac seems to have the lowest sexual side effects in men. I have taken:
zoloft, paxil, and prozac and my own use confirms the conventional wisdom that prozac has the lowest sexual side effects in men. Which typically mean it does not delay orgasm . Men tend to be highly primed for sex so the other common SSRI side effect: reduction in sex drive is not usually a problem as it can be for some women.
Because a reduction in some women's sex drive equals zero sex drive.

Also the side effect of delayed orgasm is some time helpfull with men who have premature ejaculation problems. So zoloft or paxil are more suited to those conditions.

I used to take Sertraline (lustral/zoloft) it list it as a side effect. But I didn't notice anything. But reason why I mention it is I heard the prozac was particualy know for s/d as i've read on other boards from previous users.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 10:32 am

http://www.midlife-passages.com/depressi.htm

Scroll down to the chart at the bottem of that page and you can see how prozac compares well compared to other anti-depressants.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 10:51 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
http://www.midlife-passages.com/depressi.htm

Scroll down to the chart at the bottem of that page and you can see how prozac compares well compared to other anti-depressants.

Ok Effexor doesn't look do good never heard of Celexa

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 1:01 pm

I've had good results with Lexapro, although I'm taking it for social anxiety, and not for depression. I haven't noticed any side effects.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 1:38 pm

EVIL!! ! I feel sick just thinking about that crap. It screwed me up so bad I can't believe it. I was a relatively normal, though somewhat geeky and refractory child. It was harmless, just completely harmless. I just acted up in class sometimes and had some developmental ideosyncrasies. I wish I'd never been taken up to Chapel Hill. The dude gave me that stuff for Tourette's (WRONG DIAGNOSIS!), and I was so bad off I was being placed in classes for kids with behavioral problems by my second year of middle school, and it totally stunted my education. I was still reading intensively, but it didn't help me form the right study habits. I'm still recovering from how much that drug screwed me up. I'm 23, and I'm only getting out of community college just now and only ever had one short-lived crap job. And here I am, bloody brilliant as hell (and I freaking know it. I'm worth any professor out at the university in pharmacological arcana), and I'm dreading my application for transfer being turned down due to some of the stuff that happened back then. I'm so angry at that company, I could just vomit.

And then I was put on a combination of Luvox and Clonidine. The combination of the two had me so overweight I'm still bearing the stretch marks from it, and I was so drowsy all the time I couldn't concentrate. Not only that, but I still had the freaking meltdowns. I finally just started refusing to take it, and I had to make death threats to my freaking parents to keep from being forced back on it. I hate psychiatrists who think they can cure everything from A-Z with an SSRI or seratonin agonist. I hate them! I HATE THEM! They need to lose their license to practice and everything they own over that crap. It's so stupid I don't know what to say. I'm just too upset right now, and I'm afraid I might start crying again. I'm so afraid I might turn out some miserable failure and never get to do all the stuff I wanted to do. I know I'm not going to be some freaking wage slave. I'd sooner make some pathetic effort at going into business for myself. Bootlicking is just a no-go for me. I'd end up attacking one of the bosses. I can't always control this ego.

I'm feeling sick. I have to lay down.