Filthy 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 25

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:49 pm

TruenoBlues wrote:
Sopho wrote:
I don't mind one small kiss or something, if one of them's going somewhere else o they've just met up. It's anything more than that that's just unnecessary and inappropriate.

But don't you see a hypocrisy of your previous statements? And who says what is unnecessary?

If they don't need to do it, then it is unnecessary.
What hypocrisy? I don't see what I've said that contradicts anything else I have said. I've simply stated my opinion: kissing in public is disgusting. I don't like it. What is wrong with me saying that?

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:52 pm

Just by saying one little kiss is acceptable, you have negated your whole position! And again, who says they don't need to do it?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:00 pm

TruenoBlues wrote:
Just by saying one little kiss is acceptable, you have negated your whole position! And again, who says they don't need to do it?

Because they obviously don't NEED to do it. Nobody NEEDS to kiss at any time. And I guess I wasn't specific about what I meant in the opening post. I didn't just mean kissing as in any kind of kiss, kissing your kid when you drop them off at school, kissing your wife goodbye etc. I mean people standing in line at a shop or sat on a bus kissing for 10 minutes. That is what I meant, and that is undoubtedly unnecessary.
I've already said that this thread wasn't meant to be serious, which is why I referred to 'kissing' so broadly, when actually I only meant certain kind of kissing in certain situations. But I would have thought by the clearly biased poll I included, that it would be clearer I wasn't being particularly serious.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:06 pm

Look, kissing is a form of communication that goes further than words. And if that level of communication is needed at a certain time, so be it.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:09 pm

Sopho wrote:
mean people standing in line at a shop or sat on a bus kissing for 10 minutes. That is what I meant, and that is undoubtedly unnecessary.

bleh, have to play devil's advocate a bit.

If there's a rule, there's always exceptions. Someone coming back from overseas after a long period of time and meeting their significant other at the airport, or when coming off of the ship (think navy, those famous U.S. WWII photos, that kind of thing), then I can understand that waiting until you get home or in private just isn't an option.

That being said, people effectively just making out in public with no apparent cause (other than being really into the person, being horny, hormones, call it whatever you wish) isn't necessary.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:11 pm

shadexiii wrote:

That being said, people effectively just making out in public with no apparent cause (other than being really into the person, being horny, hormones, call it whatever you wish) isn't necessary.

And I'll argue that it is necessary, based on my previous post.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:28 pm

shadexiii wrote:

That's what I really meant by 'kissing.' I would have been more specific in my original post, had I known this would actually turn into a proper discussion lol.
And I don't really see how you can argue that's necessary, TruenoBlues. What is being communicated that cannot wait till they're home? It can't be that important.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:32 pm

Sopho wrote:
shadexiii wrote:

That's what I really meant by 'kissing.' I would have been more specific in my original post, had I known this would actually turn into a proper discussion lol.
And I don't really see how you can argue that's necessary, TruenoBlues. What is being communicated that cannot wait till they're home? It can't be that important.

Assuming they live together, it can wait. But what if they don't? Is it fair to make people wait then? And believe me, it is very important. The problem with describing its importance is its intangibility. You don't know quite why it's important, but it is.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:33 pm

TruenoBlues wrote:

I still don't really understand why that would be the case. I can appreciate that it can be viewed as a form of communicating, and that at times it is necessary, but I really don't get how sucking face is a meaningful form of communication if it is random and / or excessive in very public settings where people have no choice but to witness it.

If the point is to make others witness it, as if that would somehow prove the love between two people or something along those lines, I'd still call it unnecessary, and possibly a sign that the relationship isn't as strong as the couple may like to believe, in that if you need others to know you are that into someone, it seems more like you are trying to reassure yourself of that fact.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:37 pm

TruenoBlues wrote:
Sopho wrote:
shadexiii wrote:

Assuming they live together, it can wait. But what if they don't? Is it fair to make people wait then? And believe me, it is very important. The problem with describing its importance is its intangibility. You don't know quite why it's important, but it is.

OK, I accept that it may be that in some circumstances it is could be said to be necessary, although I find it difficult to see many. I guess that may be because I'm not in a relationship though, so I can't quite understand how it would be that important. I accept that to some people it must be though. Perhaps it is because of my age, or the people I know, but what I have heard from people hasn't sounded like what you described. I was thinking more of the people at my college who have actually admitted that they stand in shops kissing their boyfriend/girlfriend just because they feel like it at the time. And have said that they really don't care what others around them think about it. Which is fair enough I suppose. But I stand by my opinion that that is inappropriate. Of course, I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion and their own view on what constitutes appropriate and inappropriate, but that is just how I see it.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:39 pm

I think it's a bit mean when there may be heartbroken people around.

If you'd just broken up from someone - or worse, they had passed away - it would be awful to have such an obvious reminder of the affection you were missing, right in front of you. Similarly you may have just found out that your partner is having an affair, so that every kissing couple is a reminder of that.

While I agree that there are times when an affectionate kiss is understandable, generally I think it's a bit self-centered and thoughtless to be really over-affectionate in public, because you don't know what other people are going through.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 6:07 pm

Sopho wrote:
TruenoBlues wrote:
Sopho wrote:
shadexiii wrote:

OK, I accept that it may be that in some circumstances it is could be said to be necessary, although I find it difficult to see many. I guess that may be because I'm not in a relationship though, so I can't quite understand how it would be that important. I accept that to some people it must be though. Perhaps it is because of my age, or the people I know, but what I have heard from people hasn't sounded like what you described. I was thinking more of the people at my college who have actually admitted that they stand in shops kissing their boyfriend/girlfriend just because they feel like it at the time. And have said that they really don't care what others around them think about it. Which is fair enough I suppose. But I stand by my opinion that that is inappropriate. Of course, I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion and their own view on what constitutes appropriate and inappropriate, but that is just how I see it.

Right. And just so you know, the "you" in my last sentence was not directed towards you.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 8:16 pm

Some people derive pleasure from exhibitionism.
This is a factor which seems to be ignored. They
may not be willing to go so far as to commit
overtly sexual acts in public, but this is there
way of getting some of that pleasure.

Look, other people just happen to do things
which not everyone appreciates. Some people
are disgusted by seeing a homeless man sitting
on the corner. They look away. That's what I
suggest that you do.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:23 am

shadexiii wrote:
TruenoBlues wrote:

I still don't really understand why that would be the case. I can appreciate that it can be viewed as a form of communicating, and that at times it is necessary, but I really don't get how sucking face is a meaningful form of communication if it is random and / or excessive in very public settings where people have no choice but to witness it.

If the point is to make others witness it, as if that would somehow prove the love between two people or something along those lines, I'd still call it unnecessary, and possibly a sign that the relationship isn't as strong as the couple may like to believe, in that if you need others to know you are that into someone, it seems more like you are trying to reassure yourself of that fact.

Well, kisses can be either meaningful or unmeaningful, depending on the intent. Here's what I'd say: kissing (beyond a single peck) for the sake of kissing is something that is basically private and personal in nature, and probably should be delayed for a private venue. I am only speaking for the U.S. -- other cultures are, respectively, more open or more closed about kissing. Some countries kill people for holding hands in private, while couples in other countries aren't thought odd for making love in public (i.e. Italy & Mexico), provided there's some basic visual obscurement.

I think Sopho's point may be that there's a big difference between a kiss and a kissing session. Some kissing sessions are arguably well into the "making love" realm.