Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2007, 7:00 pm

Ok, so walking on one's toes is an AS thing...I don't do it, or I didn't think I did, until I noticed that I walk on my tip-toes coming back from the shower in the dorm. (I don't like the feeling of tile on my wet feet, plus, I don't like making the floor all wet.) But that's normal, right? Doesn't everyone do that? (I mean, unless they have shower shoes)

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2007, 7:02 pm

Yes, I do this all the time, especially on alaminated flooring. :lol:

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 7:15 pm

I do that also, but mostly if I am excited.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 7:15 pm

I do it when stalking prey.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2007, 7:17 pm

I always did growing up and distinctly remember my mother getting upset and constantly telling me (and siblings) to quit doing it.

I didn't think I did it anymore as an adult but realized recently that I often still frequently do...

Yes, I think it is very common for us.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 7:19 pm

i do it almost all the time. when im not marching (i.e. walking at pace to cover larger distances in the city), i even touch the floor first with my toes when wearing paratrooper boots. yet, for me its more of an aesthetic thing.

how comes toe-walking is an as thing?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 7:50 pm

newaspie wrote:
I always did growing up and distinctly remember my mother getting upset and constantly telling me (and siblings) to quit doing it.

I didn't think I did it anymore as an adult but realized recently that I often still frequently do...

Yes, I think it is very common for us.

Your mother got upset, so you actually walked on your TOES, and not the ball of the foot? If you DID merely walk on the ball, how did she even notice?

Steve

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 8:31 pm

I have always walked on my tip toes. I walk very quiet.

You'd think a 240 pound man would walk like an elephant but I actually make next to no noise at all when I walk. And it's because I walk on my toes.

I am always scaring the hell out of people because no one can ever hear me walking up on them. So everyone is always turning around and they're startled to see me standing there out of thin air. It's a little embarrassing.

Beatles_girl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2007, 9:01 pm

\My mom said I did it when I was a toddler I would run on my toe knuckels.
I can't do that anymore...ouch! what was I thinking? and how did I do that?

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 11:23 pm

Huh, go figure. I thought everybody did that. I don't do it all the time, but now I'll try to be aware of when I do. Interesting, wonder if I do it when I pace. My non biological daughter does it or did it and I remember thinking that she just learned it from watching someone else do it, guess now that someone might have been me. It's the simple things sometimes that are hardest to see.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 12:36 am

horrible pains in my calves, charlie horses my dad called them, beating on them, rubbing and forcing my foot down in the middle of the night to keep the cramps out of my legs. . .my parent's in whispers in the darkened hall, consulting with each other that they thought I had 'grown out' of this behaviour.

And walking like the beautiful Princess Springsummerwinterfall on the Howdy Doody show on tippy toe, grotesquely holding out my arms in front of me, with my wrists flexed, my fingers in a cramp like I was holding up a beautiful skirt stalking one shakey legged pointed foot in front of the other, step after painful step, grimacing in facial rictus until my tongue bled from holding it between my lips so I could concentrate on getting from one place to another.

Yeah, I still wake up at night with writhing pain in my calves because my feet want to point down in the night. It is second nature to swivel to the side of the bed and step down forcefully to get the cramps to ease. Mom said I never crawled on my hands and knees, but just on my feet and hands. . on tiptoe, of course.

Merle

gwferguson
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 May 2007, 1:13 am

I did it a lot as a child especially when excited, much to the concern of my parents who constantly tried to break me of the habit, even taking me to several doctors to see what on earth was wrong with my legs. I wound up briefly wearing braces in bed at night for some unknown reason until I learned not to toewalk where anyone could see me.

I very, very rarely do it anymore.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 1:26 am

Oh i hate hate HATE charlie horses...i don't get them too often but enough to dread them..I hate being woken up by them and I hate feeling them coming on and being powerless to stop themm...and I also had night leg problems when I was little...

I am a habitual toe walker since I was little...in school they called me "tippy toes" (among other things :?) I have stopped trying to fight it..I don't do it when walking long distances, but it is how I walk around the house alot of the time....I went to the doctor for it when I was in Jr. High and he said my tendons were too short and I would need an extensive operation to remove benign tumors from between my toes and to lenghten my achilles tendons....but they really are not too short at all....the doctor was trying to scare me for some reason....

Until recently I had no idea it was an "Autistic" thing...I always knew I was different and blah blah blah....but the toe walking is one of the things that clued me in to the whole AS thing...in regards to my possibly having it.
Anywhoo...my wondering is if there are many NT adult toe-walkers out there

But think what the original poster described...

Quote:
Ok, so walking on one's toes is an AS thing...I don't do it, or I didn't think I did, until I noticed that I walk on my tip-toes coming back from the shower in the dorm. (I don't like the feeling of tile on my wet feet, plus, I don't like making the floor all wet.) But that's normal, right? Doesn't everyone do that? (I mean, unless they have shower shoes)

is sorta a normal thing that lots of people do...Aspie NT whatever...but um...I reckon not all aspies do it...

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2007, 2:38 am

hehe, yeah, that's what i figured...since I pretty much only do it when on yucky floors, or when wet...or both, as in the shower example. But i figured i'd ask...i'm kinda in post-dx blur, and I'm not sure which of my quirks are normal quirks, and which are AS quirks.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 2:48 am

Subconsciously I usually step toe first; it’s probably due to when I played Kung Fu and I inherited a lot of new traits from Si-Fu. :?

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 3:48 am

Used to get what I called when a kid "leg aches" the parents thought them just due to growing pains. Myabe there were, but now I'm wondering, seeing a few leg achers in this thread. Parents would spend many hours rubbing my legs, wow, I had forgotten those and the pain till just now.