Page 1 of 36 [ 575 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:19 am

Sorry for starting so many threads...
Has anyone else ever been obsessed with someone on here though, or on another website? And how do I get rid of it? Whenever I've had people obsessions before, they only go away when I stop seeing that person (ie. when we both left college etc.) but this is different because they exist on the internet, so all I have to do is switch the computer on.
It's not a stalkerish type obsession btw, just the same as any other time I've been obsessed with someone, only this is online.
What can I do to make it go away, other than leaving?

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:23 am

I presume it is causing some distress for you to consider leaving,
If not, I'd say its OK to obsess over people, as long as you don't become a stalker (but I really think thats a different area completely)

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:26 am

DingoDv wrote:
I presume it is causing some distress for you to consider leaving,
If not, I'd say its OK to obsess over people, as long as you don't become a stalker (but I really think thats a different area completely)

Yeah, I've never stalked anyone before. :P I just mean like reading their posts all the time and being sad when they're not online. I feel stupid for it though. It just bothers me because I'm 99% sure they wouldn't like me back so it's a waste of time but I still really like them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:26 am

I was obsessed with another member for a while. It wasn't the stalker type of obsession, like you've also mentioned. This wonderful person, who's name that I choose not to mention was that fresh breath of northern English country air, that destracted me from the biggest loss that London has experienced in recent years, and he still is. He knows all about that. :wink:

This is the loss that I speak of.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:28 am

People fixations come and go; as with any obsession, avoiding and running from it gives it a power over you that it’d never have otherwise….

E: Mitch8817. :)

Last edited by Danielismyname on 03 May 2007, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:29 am

Sopho_Soph wrote:
Has anyone else ever been obsessed with someone on here though, or on another website? And how do I get rid of it? Whenever I've had people obsessions before, they only go away when I stop seeing that person (ie. when we both left college etc.) but this is different because they exist on the internet, so all I have to do is switch the computer on.
It's not a stalkerish type obsession btw, just the same as any other time I've been obsessed with someone, only this is online.

With any fixation, you have to acknowledge it. Why not talk to this person privately and let them know. Have a discussion and get to know eachother. I find that obsessions tend to go away when you indulge in them. Don't repress and don't leave WP!

Last edited by Mitch8817 on 03 May 2007, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:29 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I was obsessed with another member for a while. It wasn't the stalker type of obsession, like you've also mentioned. This wonderful person, who's name that I choose not to mention was that fresh breath of northern English country air, that destracted me from the biggest loss that London has experienced in recent years, and he still is. He knows all about that. :wink:

This is the loss that I speak of.

I experienced a similar thing when I was obsessed with Man United. Whenever certain players retired or went to different clubs, it'd hit me really hard. It's not the same as what you went through, but it's the same kind of thing I guess, just not as bad.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:30 am

Mitch8817 wrote:
Sopho_Soph wrote:

With any fixation, you have to acknowledge it. Why not talk to this person privately and let them know. Have a discussion and get to know eachother. I find that obsessions tend to go away when you indulge in them. Don't repress and don't leave WP!

But what if it annoys them though? I don't want to irritate them or make them feel like I'm harassing them into talking to me all the time.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:31 am

I've been obsessed with many a member on here. :D

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

03 May 2007, 9:31 am

Used to be obsessed with Werbert but been taking my anti-gay pills
and receiving shock therapy to control it. I just need to take down the remaining poster of him on my walls and the minister I mean my doctor says I will be completely straight.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:32 am

Starbuline wrote:

How do I get rid of it?

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:33 am

Sopho_Soph wrote:
Mitch8817 wrote:
Sopho_Soph wrote:

But what if it annoys them though? I don't want to irritate them or make them feel like I'm harassing them into talking to me all the time.

Trust me Soph, it's better than keeping it inside and not doing anything about it - that hurts and leads to emotional pain. The worse that can happen is that they will be annoyed and stop talking to you - and wouldn't that make you not fixate on them anymore? All I' saying is try it out; yopu have nothing to lose and a potential friend to gain!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:37 am

Sopho_Soph wrote:
Starbuline wrote:

How do I get rid of it?

Don't know. For me, it randomly goes away. :?

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2007, 9:38 am

I agree with Mitch8817, the best think would be to talk to them. :) Perhaps you could even befriend this person, and you might get along really well with them. I felt like that about a girl in my school, so one day I tried talking to her, even though she was really shy. It took a bit of effort (we were both very shy, and of course social skills aren't my strong point) but we quickly became best friends, and we still are after leaving school 4 years ago. :)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:41 am

If I get intrigued by a particular member, I'll have a look at their posts. That's about it. I can't get obsessed about someone I haven't met. Not on the TV, not in a magazine, nada. If anything I'm a bit distant almost talking to myself sometimes. That could be part of the AS but sometimes I think I'm on another plane altogether.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 9:41 am

I don't think they'd want to be my friend though. I'm boring and there aren't really any good things about me which would make someone want to be my friend.
I'm too much of a coward to say anything as well. It would just make me more depressed to get confirmation that they don't like me back.