Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Lazenca_x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2007, 8:50 am

Does anyone else have an unusual accent? I do. people always ask me where I come from due to my accent. i come from south africa but I happen to have what has beenn described by many as an "American accent". I'm not sure where I picked it up. Probably from watching way too many american shows :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 8:52 am

I've been mistaken as a Londoner many times, and I live in British Columbia, Canada. :)

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 8:53 am

I'm American, but as a child I noticed I sounded like I had an English or German accent when I heard my voice on tape. I was born in Germany, and spoke German the first five years of my life.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 8:57 am

I was once told that I seemed to have a bit of an American or Irish accent.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:01 am

It usually takes me an hour or so
to pick one up so that it's unnoticeable.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:07 am

It depends on who I'm talking to: my mother is the only human who has heard my "real" voice; everyone else gets the monotonous madman that's probably borderless.

“Me” is Oz, I’m unsure what the madman is….

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:15 am

People often ask me about my accent too.

I live in England and was brought up to speak 'properly' by my parents - kind of received pronunciation.

But all my teachers at pre-school were australian, so I developed an australian accent for some words. My mother is from the indian ocean islands, so she is a strong accent which I have probably subconsciously picked up.

I also can get a bit 'american' as I have american friends, work with a mostly american group of people (and also watch american television - but I don't know if that counts!)

I don't really know how to answer when people ask me - I usually just mention my early schooling and my mother, but I don't know what makes them think I have an accent, which makes it hard for me to answer the question. But mostly I think my accent is English.

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2007, 9:18 am

I live in the south, but I've never had much of a southern accent. I've been told since being at college my accent has turned somewhat northern.

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

04 May 2007, 9:51 am

I have a bit of a Texas drawl. And I say fixin' a good amount. (I am fixin' to leave.) for example

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:53 am

I think I have a mild Manchester accent.

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2007, 10:30 am

I live near Liverpool, and my sisters both have scouse accents, but my accent is more or less collonial. My parents both have quite neutral accents, and I think I just failed to pick up any accents around me (I'm also useless at imitating accents :P ).

RaeRae
Raven
Raven

04 May 2007, 10:35 am

I don't have an accent but everyone else does.

jackhippy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2007, 10:37 am

The only time anyone has commented on my accent is when I was in France. Everyone thought I was from Finland. I'm blonde haired and blue-eyed and the woman who taught me French was from Finland. She took it as a great compliment.

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. My epiphany was less grandiose. It was quite the opposite. I realized I was talking to myself, but no one was listening.

Stevo_the_Human
Raven
Raven

04 May 2007, 10:46 am

My kind of "accent" spiel that some poeple say is that I sound like I choose every word I speak closely and don't just talk to talk.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 10:46 am

Yes. I actually have a very odd accent for some reason, and nobody can seem to place it. When I'm speaking softly, I'm mistaken for British. When I'm paying particular attention to pronunciation, I'm mistaken for German. When I'm speaking while in a humorous mood, I am told I sound like I am from Tennessee. The way I pronounce my words depends heavily upon my mood at the time.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 11:21 am

Yaaaay...another thread I can totally relate to..my voice changes alot depending on what I am doing...I have been accused of talking like I do on purpose but I swear that isnt the case.

When I worked in the food service industry people asked me where I was from all the time....They thought I was either from Europe or Canada (and I was born and raised in TX)

People also thought this about me when I was a switchboard operator and my voice was always heard on the intercom at this music store where I worked for 2 years.

(insert flashback of forcing myself not to mimick the Scottish lady I worked with..had to practicly talk like a robot when i spoke to her so i would not mimick her)

um...I have a sort of high lilty sort of voice (because I am a singer)...and I annunciate well...i think that is what causes it.