Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 11:21 am

Yaaaay...another thread I can totally relate to..my voice changes alot depending on what I am doing...I have been accused of talking like I do on purpose but I swear that isnt the case.

When I worked in the food service industry people asked me where I was from all the time....They thought I was either from Europe or Canada (and I was born and raised in TX)

People also thought this about me when I was a switchboard operator and my voice was always heard on the intercom at this music store where I worked for 2 years.

(insert flashback of forcing myself not to mimick the Scottish lady I worked with..had to practicly talk like a robot when i spoke to her so i would not mimick her)

um...I have a sort of high lilty sort of voice (because I am a singer)...and I annunciate well...i think that is what causes it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 11:21 am

I have a beautiful accent!

04 May 2007, 11:24 am

Lot of people ask where I'm from. They don't even know I was born here. I think I got my accent from due to being deaf when I was a baby.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:20 pm

A relatively quiet but distinctive central Lancashire accent. I like it; it suits me. I do sometimes imitate a Ian Paisley-style Ulster accent to take the piss out of something (usually extremism) or a Scottish accent when I make joking references to being drunk. But my accent is Lancashire. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:33 pm

I sound like The Sex Pistols, when I sing. :lol:

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:02 pm

Today, I asked about a book about English (British) literature and I thought my voice sounded as though I had an English accent, even though I'm American.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:19 pm

...I grew up in the New York City area (the suburbs - Westchester , to the direct north) , my parents were Southern (Texan - with at least noticeable accents all their lives) , I think I tend to speak a little " Wasp "-y , people at times think I'm Canadian or New Zealander or simialar . I use a few Southern/country-isms in my speech , like " directly " (for " soon - but not real soon " - kind of like the Jamacian " soon come " , I think ??????? Must be something about hotter climates , people aren't so hung up/anal retentive about being on time ! !! !! !! !! :P :) ) , and " y'all (contraction of " you all " , for referring to someone/a thing/people collectively - It makes sense , and I've seen/read people saying that the American Southern " y'all " makes sense ! !! !! ) , or " fixin' " . A lil' bit .

Last edited by ASS-P on 04 May 2007, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 10:04 pm

I'm picking up a ritzy English accent from watching too much "Charlie and Lola". Even my friends and my mom have noticed, especially since I've started calling her 'mum' without even thinking about it...

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 1:07 am

I have an odd accent. Apparently it sounds really posh. I picked up a bit of my mum's accent, but my brother didn't, which is kind of funny.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 1:13 am

I always explain to people that my dad is Czech/American and my mom is from Rochester new York and that is why I have an unusual accent.

Grimbling
Raven
Raven

05 May 2007, 5:10 am

My accent slides around a bit, too. Since I've grown up and am more-or-less dealing with the real world, I speak mainly with an Australian accent, but even that wavers a bit between quite posh and very bogan. I get asked if I'm from various parts of eastern Europe, but I think that's mostly because people read my long, ethnic name and make assumptions before I even open my mouth.

I also slip into some sort of British accent very easily - I personally don't think it's very convincing but I generally fool people when I accidentally use it in public, including one lady who pinpointed it to Lancashire. 8O

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2007, 6:21 am

No, I don't have an unusual accent... but when it comes to accents, I am a master at many because I find it easy to imitate them after I've heard them for sometime.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 7:13 am

Grimbling: Better start using dialect words like 'war', 'theer', 'provvin', 'owt/nowt', 'wur', 'o'reet' and all that lot. ;)

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:29 am

When I am reading, I will pronounce a word, such as "schedule" differently, depending on whether the book or article I'm reading originates from America or England. I do this silently, as people here would probably think I'm weird.

Photon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2007, 9:45 am

When I travel around the UK, I arrive back home with a slightly different accent.
It happens mostly in London or Hampshire, my accent becomes a mixture of southern words with northern it is really weird, people often think it is a deliberate action.
It usually shakes off within a few days.

lizardcongress
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2007, 11:16 am

I have lived in the south (US) all my life, but everyone I meet here asks me, "Are you from up north?" However, everyone I meet from the north tells me that I do, indeed, have a southern accent. I always paid attention when they taught grammar in school and actually applied it to my own speech, which I don't think most people do. However, I did pick up some features of southern pronunciation. Only recently have I started working on the pen/pin distinction (most southerners pronounce both like "pin").