Light sensitivity:lenses or light therapy

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 1:37 pm

Hi I've posted before about eye problems I've rectified my eye muscle problem but am still having great difficulty with light.. If you have tinted lenses have they improved your vision and stopped the glare of bright light, did you choose Irlen lenses or a different type?
Has anyone tried a different kind of therapy for light sensitivity/photophobia for example light therapy or contact lenses? Any help or info would be most appreciated.

Ramsus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2007, 11:36 am

I've never tried Irlen lenses, but that's because most of those visual problems don't apply to me. I have huge issues with light sensitivity too. Tinted lenses never helped, because the light would still make it through. I'm still unable to go outside during a sunny day or drive before dark.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 11:43 am

I am affected by light. I am the worst when there is snow on the ground. I have been told to wear sunglasses but I can't stand them touching thebridge of my nose! Most people have no idea about how bright the world is :?

Ramsus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2007, 11:48 am

When I went to New Orleans a couple years back, I was blinded. I could barely see *at all* when outside.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 11:59 am

Ive worn glasses all day every day for 18 years so sunglasses don't bother me but I do have to wear them when outside and they cant have flat lenses. Unless theres no gap for light to get through theyre pretty useless.

As for light therapy isn't that just a fancy name for partially burning out your retinas to permanently dim the light levels you perceive?

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 1:57 pm

Thanks for you post Fraya. I saw the light therapy thing described on a site for a clinic that mainly does auditory therapy. Here's some stuff I've copied from the webpage. I have to say there are so many alternative therapies out there you can never know for sure if they have a high sucess rate or if the medical jargon is authentic!!

Lightwave Stimulation (LWS or Downing Technique) is a neuro-sensory developmental programme developed by Dr. John Downing, O.D., PhD, over the course of 25 years of research and clinical observation in the study of neuro-sensory stimulation. When light rays strike the retina of the eye, they are converted into nerve currents, sometimes termed photocurrent, which are required not just for vision but for effective functioning through their influence on the cerebral cortex, the limbic system and the brain stem. Dr Downing recognised that a photocurrent deficit seemed to be present in people with a wide range of symptoms, including:

learning disabilities, poor memory, poor concentration;

poor physical co-ordination and performance;

light sensitivity, poor peripheral vision, night blindness;

hyperactivity, sleeping problems, fatigue, mental fogginess, headaches;

emotional difficulties, including anxiety and depression;

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

He found that stimulation with appropriate coloured light through the eyes can increase the ability of the neuro-visual pathways to transmit photocurrent to the different parts of the brain and reduce this deficit. This leads to improved mental, emotional and physical wellbeing and enhanced performance. He developed the Lumatron and Photron Light Stimulators to deliver the different coloured light to trigger this process.

Wherever possible, we take visual fields profiles before and after the treatment, as these provide objective evidence of change. We generally find that the visual fields have been extended to a wider range, (e.g. from perhaps 0 - 10° out to anywhere in the range 10 - 40 °) which indicates that the client will be able to absorb more light energy from the natural environment – see also our research section.

I wonder if anyone on WP has tried Lightwave stimulation?! !

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2007, 2:45 am

im a very lucky man because i have tented eyewear and i have the privilege to work a night schedule....
it does suck for a minute or so when i leave work late and the sun is up....ive noticed that whe i use to watrch tv regularly i would get these eye aches which could last for a few hours to days....now that i rarely watch a movie here and there i dont get them that much....

truck beams from oncoming traffic makes me extremely agitated...

so far as the light therapyi have not tried that before, i fear i would freak out because i hate anything held directly over my eye...