Need a better browser for accessing secure records

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2005, 2:11 am

There is a secure online database I need to access and I'm having difficulty getting IE to let me have the security settings I need as M$ seems to think they know what I need. :evil: Is there a more suitable browser for this type of thing that will let me choose the settings I need?

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2005, 9:31 pm

Hmmm.... mozilla,firefox, safari, opera, lynx... Pretty much anything that's not IE is likely to be safer and more flexible. Since I stopped using IE and switched to mozilla, firefox and safari, I've not had a single infection. No autodiallers autodialling, no N4£3D_G1rLz0r$.exe's N4£3D_G1rLz0r$.exing... A few popups pulling ahead in the browser/popup arms race, but that's about it.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2005, 12:48 am

firefox, absolutely. dunc talked me into it, and i've been eternally grateful ever since :)

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2005, 5:25 am

Well, I'm giving Firefox a try. So far, I like how customizable it is though it seems slightly sluggish compared to IE. I haven't tried any serious buisness with it yet.

alex
Developer
Developer

05 Jun 2005, 8:54 am

Sean wrote:
Well, I'm giving Firefox a try. So far, I like how customizable it is though it seems slightly sluggish compared to IE. I haven't tried any serious buisness with it yet.

Firefox should be faster than IE although you may want to try K-melon which is supposedly optimized for speed on windows (I've never tried it).

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2005, 11:38 am

The Gecko rendering engine that Firefox uses is slower than IE's rendering, but network use can be optimized a lot more with Firefox.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2005, 11:41 pm

Then I bet version 2.0 is really going to rock!

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2005, 5:16 pm

IE cheats Windows loads part of the brower into the ops sys firefox or mozilla does not do that. You can set mozilla or fire fox to quick load. Rember to uncheck allow websites to install in firefox Tools>web features> 2 box down