Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2012, 12:30 pm

EnglishJess I like the avatar. It reminds me of a cross between muscle fibers and amoebas.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2012, 8:53 am

DeXo wrote:
I have the same problem.
If I'm at a place where there's no computer nor TV, I just end up looking at random stuff around me.

CWulf wrote:
That's what I'm doing now. I have tons of work left to do, but I'm posting here instead. I guess that's procastination. I'll spend many hours reading about things that I'm very interested in (almost like studying but without meaning it) and leave my duties untill there's no way to avoid them. That's why it's so extremely important to do good choices when it comes to what to study IMHO.

^Life story.

Yeah for me it's gotten really bad recently and my grades are plummeting. I've even started failing math tests :? and I'm ranked in the top 9% for maths in my state. Ahhh I hate life.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 1:46 pm

Space wrote:
I am constantly getting up to do thinks, going on the computer, or turning the TV on, it's always something that's distracting me. Once I get into reading on the couch, it's not so bad, but when I am reading notes off my computer, I automatically open a new window and do something else. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes...all the time!
This is my main problem with revising and homework, so now I revise at night to stop myself from getting 'sidetracked'; I find that the more time I waste getting distracted, the longer it will take me to get my work done, which will also put me in a negative mood and make me extremely tired.

Crysta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2012, 8:26 am

:D Hi there!

I too have the same issues of procrastination and never quite being able to sit down and concentrate on specific studying - it's always been an issue for me. Lately, though, I feel as if this is an 'avoidance' measure - I wish to avoid validating my fear that I won't be able to understand or contribute to my field of study - so I dont study at all :?

I really haven't developed many techniques to avoid this - this past semester even the last minute 'argh!' of 'must study now!' didn't work... I guess you just need the motivation.

Although I do find it MUCH easier if I turn off the laptop and any technology and study from paper - that way I can read and reread it without hurting my eyes as much (and I can highlight!).

9of47
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2012, 11:50 am

This is me! I cannot concentrate on anything study related until the last minute. And the proverbial last minute seems to be shrinking each semester. Perhaps we should make a thread where we set ourselves goals and we then post on a regular basis what we have done so far relative to our goals. I heard a similar thing on a podcast.
An example could be:
Attend all classes this week for X subject
Do half an hour of study for each hour of class (preferably on the same day)
For the 4 question assignment due on friday do one question monday, the second on tuesday and so on
And then I'd post
Went to all classes for X, was 5 minutes late to the one on Tuesday due to sleeping in
Did half an hour per subject on Monday, was called into work after class on Tuesday so I couldn't do it, made up for it on Wednesday and Thursday and did them all by the end of friday
Finished the assignment, but had to do two of the questions on thursday due to working tuesday night.

typo
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2012, 3:07 pm

9of47, that sounds like a great idea. I have the same problem, especially with research papers. The tests I've written were usually so lax that a lot of studying wasn't necessary. But with research papers I just feel overwhelmed by chaos and afraid to write something stupid. I can only break through this when I have very little time left, because I know I will not have to bear it for long. However, as that stressful final period of working on the paper is really hard to get through, it's become increasingly harder to get myself to go there at all. Now that I'm supposed to write my thesis this has proven to be pretty disastrous. I'm setting my hopes on a rigid structure tied to obligations of showing up. So I guess a thread where everyone keeps themselves accountable might be helpful.