Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 11:46 pm

I am constantly getting up to do thinks, going on the computer, or turning the TV on, it's always something that's distracting me. Once I get into reading on the couch, it's not so bad, but when I am reading notes off my computer, I automatically open a new window and do something else. Anyone else have this problem?

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2007, 2:02 am

Concentration is a function. What I observe is that people can only concentrate on stuff that they are interested in. This is why people just specialize in a small range of subjects.

There are also other forms of concentration other than the kind that you are worrying about how well you can study.

One fact based on things that I know that I can observe also is that your brain does things to get its immediate attention. You probably deceive yourself into thinking that something is important because it is linked to something else. There isn't really anything wrong with that unless it makes you worry and worked up about failing.

You have to know what you want to know and why you need to know it. Setting goals is a way to make your brain make sense of things. The mere curiosity of things is okay too. But you have to know what you want to do so that you know what you should know to get there.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2007, 3:28 am

My concentration can be smashed by other problems being processed in my head my last years at University I found difficult because I was still dealing with the Bereavement of a friend these kinds of emotional needs take a huge toll on mental resources and for myself these processes take a very long time to resolve.
The problem need not be so severe but an emotional need is difficult to quantify and although I will logically say 'That is so, nothing I can do about it. It is dealt with' all the confusing and incomprehensible stuff is still being resolved in my head (which is not wired for doing this) and can take an unimaginably long time and for that time I find it difficult to concentrate fully on longer term things (Like my final project) although I'm always looking for distractions (just one more turn on a game, quick look at www.whatever... )

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2007, 4:32 am

Is it worth printing out the notes so that you don't have to read them in front of your computer?

Is there somewhere else you could go to study, like a library as their computers are unlikely to have games on?

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2007, 5:18 am

Yeah. I'm pretty much hosed, as
long as I have internet. It killed
my chances here.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2007, 5:46 am

I have a similar problem (ADD) which means that I am often fiddling or staring out the window instead of working. Recently I have been taking omega 3 capsules which have drastically improved me. Although I still lose attention occasionally it isn't as hard to get back on focus. Don't worry if you are a vegetarian or vegan (like me) because they also come in Vegetarian and vegan capsules.

mattron
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

I think if you go to the library and study it will be easier to study

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 4:00 am

Perhaps go somewhere where you don't have access to your TV or computer? I also have this issue sometimes also but I'm very good at forcing myself to focus when it's needed.

DeXo
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Apr 2012, 1:58 pm

I have the same problem.
If I'm at a place where there's no computer nor TV, I just end up looking at random stuff around me.

CWulf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2012, 12:31 pm

That's what I'm doing now. I have tons of work left to do, but I'm posting here instead. I guess that's procastination. I'll spend many hours reading about things that I'm very interested in (almost like studying but without meaning it) and leave my duties untill there's no way to avoid them. That's why it's so extremely important to do good choices when it comes to what to study IMHO.

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Apr 2012, 3:15 pm

I suck at life. It was the end of the semester, and I withdrew because my brain stopped working a whole semester down the drain!! I had sooo much work, and I had already fallen behind.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm

YES. It's awful! This happens all the time. Like right now, for instance. I should be reading, studying, and writing an speech and I'm not doing anything except for sitting here and posting on this forum. Anything can be a distraction lately, especially my PC and android tablet.

It's a lot easier to go to the library and force myself to focus on one thing only.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2012, 7:17 am

Study groups sometimes help.. if people are super serious about the class (ha).

Usually, it's more of an "oh, crap, I have a 30 page paper due tomorrow... I've got to finish it... NOW."

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2012, 9:07 am

CWulf wrote:
That's what I'm doing now. I have tons of work left to do, but I'm posting here instead. I guess that's procastination. I'll spend many hours reading about things that I'm very interested in (almost like studying but without meaning it) and leave my duties untill there's no way to avoid them. That's why it's so extremely important to do good choices when it comes to what to study IMHO.

Hear, hear

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 12:12 pm

I believe iH ave that problem. I have lots to do, but I'd much rather be doing the things I like, like being online or listening to music. I find it hard to take in information when reading information books, I prefer fiction books.

Last edited by EnglishJess on 26 May 2012, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

deathsign
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2012, 11:44 am

Same here... I end up easily distracted when i should be studying. My computrr is the main reason for this, but my phone or anything that connects to the internet is problematic.

WORST PROBLEM: HAVING AS