Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2007, 5:33 am

I do it all the time too. The other day at a restaurant, an infant
and I were locked into a staring contest. I wasn't even aware I was
doing it until the mother commented on it. In situations like this,
I think it is going beyond my usual 'lost-in-thought' look. I really
am staring specifically at someone, even if I don't become aware of it
until somebody becomes uncomfortable enough to make an issue of it.

phenomenon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 May 2007, 11:29 am

The fact that I was obsessing about how people would perceive my stares

Wolfpup wrote:
phenomenon wrote:
One of the things that got me diagnosed with OCD was my troubles with eye contact...I hated staying after to be tutored in math because I never knew what to do with my eyes and I was terrified my teacher would think I was a lesbian who fancied her by looking her in the eyes too long...but also because I had huge troubles with being worried everyone would think I was gay because I frequently stared off into the distance and a girl would walk past and I'd worry she'd think I was staring at her chest. It got to the point the only place I wasn't afraid to look was directly at my feet!!

Just out of curiosity, what does eye contact stuff have to do with OCD? I didn't think there was a connection (I was diagnosed with OCD too, years and years ago).

jman
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 12:25 pm

ugggh I hate this,

Women often I assume I am a creepy stalker when all I am reallly doing is staring into space. Stupid NTs jumping to conclusions!

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 12:27 pm

yes, this happens: i don't apologise.
Also, i figure it means that i can stare at someone if there is a chance that they are going to think that when i am not.
Obviously, i only do this when i want to stare at someone, and a frequency of half that of when i am going to get accused of staring when i wasnt (clearly this only an estimate).

Star
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2007, 2:22 pm

I am sorry but why any person must apologize for staring?

I don't see anyone expecting apologies from people around them eavedropping on their conversation or chat with a friend? Why LOOKING at something must render an apology while LISTENING is thought as a natural process that can't be inhibited or controlled?

We can't control at what we stare as much as anyone can control what they overhear. So no, never apologize. I absolutely do not see why we must apologize about something we do naturally and not out of any (malicious) intention.

It is about time NTs get a grip of their idiotic notions and realize that NOT everyone is the SAME!! !!

Basta!

Star

Ramsus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2007, 9:51 am

This happens to everyone.