Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Lateralus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2007, 6:18 am

Is there any websites that have information if a person was statemented or diagnosed with Asperger's when they really had something else?

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 8:25 am

hmmm... I see a few things relevant for it, I can post some links that might be informative, but as I've only skimmed over the few I found and am not quite sure what kind of stuff you are looking for, can't be 100% it's informative at all to ya :P

This one, towards the middle, has some articles about misdiagnosis, and some news summaries:
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/a/autism/misdiag.htm

and here is a semi-misc one-it is a bit wordy, but I read over the general description:
http://www.aspennj.org/psych.html

Sorry if these are not what you are looking for. I'm in a bit of a helpful mood today :P

Lateralus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2007, 8:30 am

nobodyzdream wrote:
hmmm... I see a few things relevant for it, I can post some links that might be informative, but as I've only skimmed over the few I found and am not quite sure what kind of stuff you are looking for, can't be 100% it's informative at all to ya :P

This one, towards the middle, has some articles about misdiagnosis, and some news summaries:
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/a/autism/misdiag.htm

and here is a semi-misc one-it is a bit wordy, but I read over the general description:
http://www.aspennj.org/psych.html

Sorry if these are not what you are looking for. I'm in a bit of a helpful mood today :P

Thank you for those i will take a look. I found it easy to find aspies who had a wrong diagnosis of schizophrenic disorders but not really those not aspie getting a diagnosis of aspie :?

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 8:43 am

very odd-I was initially diagnosed with BPD, but I've posted many times about my frustration with how that one came about, lol. I'm getting my test tonight :D hoping I can get around to the right diagnosis soon. It was finally removed altogether 2 weeks ago (feels so nice, lol-not that it'd be horrible if I did have it, just to be diagnosed with something you clearly do not have is rather confusing/upsetting).

and yeah, most of what I'm finding for "misdiagnosis asperger's" in google is stuff where people are diagnosed with other things. These 2 seemed alright though :) But as I skimmed over, lol, they might be reall cruddy and I just happened to see a few parts that looked good/interesting.

I'm sure it's common though-my bf's therapist said... well, you remember when manic depression was the big thing getting diagnosed all over the place? She said you have to be careful these days because Asperger's seems to be given out quite regularly lately. Not saying people don't have it, but she's meaning from therapists who are not very educated in it deciding that's what it is and labelling people too quickly rather than looking at an overall picture or looking into ALL of the details.

I just thought that was kind of interesting that she said that.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 8:48 am

I was misdiagnosed as hyperactive. Asperger's was not a known diagnosis when I was going to school.

Lateralus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2007, 8:52 am

nobodyzdream wrote:
very odd-I was initially diagnosed with BPD, but I've posted many times about my frustration with how that one came about, lol. I'm getting my test tonight :D hoping I can get around to the right diagnosis soon. It was finally removed altogether 2 weeks ago (feels so nice, lol-not that it'd be horrible if I did have it, just to be diagnosed with something you clearly do not have is rather confusing/upsetting).

and yeah, most of what I'm finding for "misdiagnosis asperger's" in google is stuff where people are diagnosed with other things. These 2 seemed alright though :) But as I skimmed over, lol, they might be reall cruddy and I just happened to see a few parts that looked good/interesting.

I'm sure it's common though-my bf's therapist said... well, you remember when manic depression was the big thing getting diagnosed all over the place? She said you have to be careful these days because Asperger's seems to be given out quite regularly lately. Not saying people don't have it, but she's meaning from therapists who are not very educated in it deciding that's what it is and labelling people too quickly rather than looking at an overall picture or looking into ALL of the details.

I just thought that was kind of interesting that she said that.

Yeah it is the in thing to get diagnosed with BP now and 7 years ago i suppose the time of mine it being AS.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 8:59 am

I was miss-diagnosed.

No one ever said anything to me...other than getting my hearing and "intelligence" tested, I don't know what they thought of me....

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 9:09 am

Maybe it's that they tend to go in phases? As they learn more and become more aware of one thing, they start seeing it more in people and start diagnosing like crazy? lol

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 9:10 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I was miss-diagnosed.

No one ever said anything to me...other than getting my hearing and "intelligence" tested, I don't know what they thought of me....

Thought of you as in what the other diagnosis was? Or just overall?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 9:19 am

nobodyzdream wrote:
Thought of you as in what the other diagnosis was? Or just overall?

Overall. No one said a single thing to me that implied I was "different", so naturally, I didn't think I was....

nobodyzdream wrote:
Maybe it's that they tend to go in phases? As they learn more and become more aware of one thing, they start seeing it more in people and start diagnosing like crazy? lol

All or nothing....

Yeah, the more they learn the more they know. :? Ha...I didn't talk to anyone, yet people (adults) would bounce their conversation off of me and assume I was communicating when I nodded or shook my head. Retrospectively, it's pretty funny....

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 10:10 am

9CatMom wrote:
I was misdiagnosed as hyperactive. Asperger's was not a known diagnosis when I was going to school.

SAME HERE, although I think you and I are roughly the same age. BTW I was clearly NOT hyperactive!

Steve

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 10:59 am

I didn't know it, but apperently they tried to slap something on me (also before AS was a diagnosis). My mom never told me, because she didn't think I had it or it made any sense. I'm glad, because when she told me a few months ago it really didn't make any sense. I can't even remember what it was now.

I was diagnosed with OCD, which seems to be correct, although my symptoms have somewhat lessoned over the years, and I'm not sure it ever 100% fit.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 11:55 am

I've been diagnosed three times the second time they said I didn't have AS the third time they said yes.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 12:13 pm

I've heard of an abused child being misdiagnosed as autistic, but that's the only one I can remember right now.