Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 10:26 pm

Do you watch "The middle"? The youngest son in this show does it, it's so endearing.
My son's is echolalia, he will repeat words he has heard from other people. I used think he was 'thinking aloud'

DogGirlSaydee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2012, 11:04 pm

Some words kind of.. "feel" good to say... It's hard to explain in a way that doesn't sound so.. Strange.

Aspie score: 194 of 200
Neurotypical score: 7 of 200
Conclusion: very likely an Aspie

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:35 am

I still repeat words to myself if I'm stressed or tired

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:01 am

Wow, my daughter does this constantly. I didn't know there was a word for it.

angelgarden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2012, 8:03 pm

My son does this all the time. I actually always thought he had no 'echolacia' (I think I spelled that wrong). But I guess his mumbling and repeating could be a form of delayed echolacia. (My younger brother used to mouth sentences before he said them; he also used to silently mouth sentences after people said them. He still does somewhat, though hes' learned to try to curb it. I think for him it was a way of rehearsing the small talk that didn't come naturally to him. He's an awesome successful guy--no official diagnosis, but I think he's an Aspie.)

The only time it really bothers me with my son is when he is supposed to be going to bed and he is lying there mumbling words and numbers to himself!! It's like he can't turn his brain off, but perhaps it is his way of calming himself down for bed. I'm going to try to be less annoyed with it. :oops:

He does it a lot when he is building Lego or playing. I think it's kind of cute actually . . . he's so deep in thought~such a beautiful mind.