Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

25 May 2007, 2:22 pm

To turn off their feelings and emotions? Am I the only one here who does.

I have because I am able to turn off my feelings and emotions. When I go in a store and have to buy something that is embrassing, I can turn off those feelings and not feel anything while buying them. Also, when I work and have to change my routine or stop what I'm doing, I have learned to turn off those emotions, so I don't get anxiety anymore or feel stressed out. It it now I don't care what I do. I have gained that skill in Montana when I was working at my last job.
I used to feel anxious in new situations because I didn't know what to expect so I learned to shut off those feelings and now I feel nothing. When someone says something insulting, I don't care because it doesn't bother me. I had learned to keep my feelings turned off so I won't get all upset, it's the same with people's opinions.

There will come times when my old feelings will slip back. When I was with my boyfriend, his thoughts and opinions drove me crazy I felt threatened by them I couldn't even be with him 24/7 anymore.
Once in a while I feel feel anger from people's ignorent thoughts and anger and hurt on here when I get flamed or discriminated. Then I get over it because I shut them off.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 2:23 pm

No, I wish I could though.

devunea
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2007, 2:41 pm

On a daily basis.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 2:46 pm

I can do this but beware that emotions can then unexpectedly explode at some point. I think that they are shut off from being expressed but not from being created and are accumulating until they are released. Some days I just feel I need to cry, not for any reason, so make myself in do so in a controlled situation.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

sounded
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2007, 2:49 pm

I can turn off my emotions and not react to anything that's said or done to me. Then, when I'm alone, I pace up and down and talk to myself and generally act like a lunatic. Until recently I didn't even know I did this. Do you do it too? You could be in a trance when it happens and not notice. Maybe it's just me.

"Then I'd be a damned fool to think any different."

ASPERGERSJOHN
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2007, 2:54 pm

No i wish i could though but i cannot.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2007, 2:55 pm

If I concentrate I can block an emotion and avoid the anxiety later by either not thinking about the event or just rationalizing it somehow. I can also think of something that makes me angry and just have that override any feeling of anxiety or embarrassment. I've always been able to do things that most people can't bring themselves to do. Tom Green has been a source of inspiration for some of the funnest times I have had.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 3:00 pm

I used to do it when I was young. Perhaps this abilitie is fruit of bad times, I believe I would be able to turn off again if it was needed.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 3:02 pm

l do have that problem but I have taught myself not to do that and keep my emotions switched on

25 May 2007, 3:13 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
l do have that problem but I have taught myself not to do that and keep my emotions switched on

How come?

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 6:35 pm

I can't in the way described. I think I have to an extent to deal with some losses I've had in my life. If I let myself feel them I'd just be crying all the time.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 9:07 pm

I try not to get overexcited about my favorite things in front of people who don't understand why such things could possibly be of interest. I only indulge my interest in Roger Bannister, for example, when I'm by myself. My interest in cats is safer, because a lot of people are cat lovers.

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2007, 11:37 pm

I can stop my feelings temporarily, but it's difficult to maintain for a long period of time. Yesterday my mom wanted me to get some meat from the local butcher, and inside there was just kind of a group of people, not really in any organized fashion. I took my place at what I figured to be the end of the line, and when I thought it was my turn, the guy called on the person waiting behind me... I didn't know how to react. Did I read the line wrong? Was I not following the signs? Did I annoy this guy? ...But then I managed to calm those nerves for a second, and I found myself thinking about myself in third-person more than first, seeing myself act as I should in the situation, not fretting about how I was doing that.

Anything I can find to calm me down is usually a charm, and this sort of third-person detaching mindset really works for me. I went home after the polite man behind me said I was ahead of him, popped the meatloaf in the oven, and ninety minutes later it was ready to eat, and I was satisfied. Even though I was scaring myself in the situation, I didn't let it linger in my head.

Error
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2007, 11:53 pm

I wouldn't say what I do as being a shutting off/down on emotions. If I'm in a stressful situation it's more like repressing them. As a result, I often get bugged out from the effort. Especially so that I'm now self-conscious over the fact of it.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 1:42 am

I'd like to call it "suspending judgement" and it's quite handy in remaining sceptic.

But my control of it is not quite 100%.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

SG
Raven
Raven

26 May 2007, 2:50 am

Easy to turn them off.. the trouble for me is turning them on