Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

31 May 2007, 9:22 pm

I've always had bad cramps, and apparently my depression might also be linked to my cycle. I've found a few things that help, but the best thing I've done is started seeing a naturopath, who's started me on a cycle of herbs (fish oil on the first two weeks of the cycle, something else I forget on the other two weeks). I've heard that evening primrose oil is also good to prevent cramps.

The other thing I've found really helpful is to avoid salt in the days leading up to my period and in the first few days. Just eating potato chips or fast food once can mean the difference between painful cramps and a painless period.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 7:28 am

I get Depo-Provera injection every three months and I don't get a period at all which is good for my mood.
It is thought that this injection always causes weight gain but I actually lost a bit of weight and then stabilised. It has been one of the best things for me.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 11:46 pm

Mine are awful. Very heavy. I'm always having to change them, very fast and not to get nasty, but the blood is always getting on my hands and in my pubic hair. and then i'm always ruining underware. it sucks. and bad bad pain. bloating and dizziness.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 2:10 pm

yeah i have some old cotton ones that i reserve specifically for that week... cause i tend to spot a lot

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

grendelis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2010, 11:14 am

Yes, I have also found Calcium (and Vit D needed to unlock it) very useful.
I have become gluten intolerant over last 5 years, so I have to boost things to compensate for reduced calcium uptake in my intestines. Apparently there is a link between gluten intolerance and infertility. So get off the wheat/grains if you actually want to get prego.

I've learnt to listen to what my body needs, in my case:
- After ovulation, take Calcium (otherwise I start biting my nails)
- Kelp tablets (iodine to boost my thyroid function 'naturally')
- occasional multi-vit (I live in a country with low Selenium in soils)
- I'm very aware when PMT/S starts...hmmm
- Now take a PMS Balance tablet (includes Caste tree)
- few days before onset off period I get need for carbs (junk food, fish & Chips etc)
- I start taking Ponstan painkiller as required during PMT/S phase as this helps me sleep (everything eratic)
- Need for sex to 'bring on' start of period too.
(I suspect this last bit is your body telling you you can avoid these horrible monthly period experiences my remaining pregnant! But that doesn't do the planet any good, so I fully support those females who find going on the Pill to be a good avoidance method).

Depending on what craziness is going on in my life at the time, I can still get a bad period from time to time. It sux. But at least these days my periods seem to be around only 4 days long and they are far more predictable than when I was under 40. I've no need to repeat the crawling along the floor or curling up behind my desk at the office in terrible pain. I listen to my body... I know when I need to start taking those painkillers and retreating from public and taking things easy.

All the best

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 11:43 am

I get really moody before my period but I don't bleed much and I don't have cramps anymore. I did the first time though. They usually end on the 4th day but since I started eating better, it added another day onto my periods. *sigh* Oh well. :P